Zephyr_Nova

picked this up the other day... 3 disc set.

An Anthology of Noise and Electronic Music #7

Anthology-of-Noise.jpeg

also been enjoying Emptyset's Recur album lately

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just released an EP of densely packed noise, free or pay what you want: https://cthulhudetonator.bandcamp.com/album/sucking-the-blood-of-celestial-bodies

There's also one ambient track on there, just because.

^ Just dled it and It's really excellent.

Thanks! :beer:

Yeah noise is not music. It's non-music, that's why it has a different name. Noise is not a genre. It is something other than music.

As soon as a human has created and arranged sounds with the intent of others (or themselves) appreciating its aesthetic, it's music. The other noise would be the ticking of the clock on my wall or a lawnmower going off next door, which is not what this thread is about. But either of those things could be used as source material to create music. That's the beauty of the genre.

Agreed that honest, non-ironic artistic intent is the only acception, but even then how can one be sure of what that intent is?

Here's a thought. Say someone understands but disagrees with an artists philosophy of intent for something to be music instead of organized sound. Is it possible that a production can then be both?

Both music and not music?

There are varying degrees of organized sound. Whatever instrument a musician's playing in part determines the sound that is heard. When I play guitar I can predict what sound is going to come out of it to a high degree of accuracy. When I'm fiddling with some knobs and effects pedals there is less predictability, but I still have an idea of what it will sound like and what effect I am going for. So it's all organized sound to varying degrees. For me half the fun of noise music is wielding the chaos to make it do what I want, but then having it take me somewhere completely unexpected. I find I have to be much more on my toes when I'm making noise music.

Agreed that honest, non-ironic artistic intent is the only acception, but even then how can one be sure of what that intent is?

Here's a thought. Say someone understands but disagrees with an artists philosophy of intent for something to be music instead of organized sound. Is it possible that a production can then be both?

I don't think you need to know what the intent is, just that there is intent, which is implied with it being bundled and released.

lol, I've seen the digitariat live, in a pub down the scummy end of Camden.

Guys a fucking psycho, something missing, looks like he'd happily kill you and eat your kidneys.

I was seeing Skat Injector, a band I was almost a member of.

found out a few minutes ago: adam cooley of scissor shock died 2 days ago.

sad. i actually knew this dude mostly from discussing movies with him. personally, his own work wasn't for me, but he had his fans (including venetian snares)

later homie

oh man that fucking sucks.

Love Scissor Shock, used to chat to him occasionally online back in the prefacebook Myspace days when we both had weirdo avant noise artist pages.

Dude was still really young too......damn.

nice to see that guy is still going (well at least as late as 2006)

i appeared on a cassette noise comp with him back in '97 and I'd love to track down a copy of it. Anybody happen to own this?

I've lost whatever copies of the track i put on here and I'd really like to hear it again

http://www.discogs.com/Various-One-Fragile-Past/release/765897

• 3 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/QVt-ZUu4EhE

A document of a contemporary American noise scene. The Milwaukee Noise Fest is a three-day series of concerts featuring noise acts from all over the country. Curated by Peter Woods and Jay Linksi, the Fest, running for nearly a decade, showcases some of the best of current noise music. Cameras, interviews and editing by Leo Brochu and Grace Smith.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I've only lurked in this thread but I think this podcast is worth mentioning: tabsout

They play and review cassette releases only (which is why I checked it out to begin with) but they're all huge noise fans so new stuff they play some good stuff. I'm sure most of ya'll would dig it, they also play ambient, drone, experimental, etc.