IGNORED

fashion thread

Salvatorin

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a weird double standard about experimental fashion. I think it's a great art form and a piece that exalts the human body is a wonderful thing. Then when I see it in real life, one half of my brain is like, "Oh hey, that looks awesome." The other half just goes "DOUCHEBAG" and runs away. I think this is because most high fashion is so impractical.

For a long time I didn't care what I wore as long as it was black and didn't have any writing on it. Then I wanted it to look really good, and bought some more expensive stuff. Now I like more colors, and I want things to look good, but I refuse to wear things that limit my motion in any way. It seems so pointless to not be able to do whatever I want or to be uncomfortable.

On that note, let me recommend Outlier climbing pants as incredibly flexible, strong, durable, and nice to look at. The current Uniqlo slim fit chinos are almost as good, and more pleasant on the skin, for 1/5 the price.

i generally wear only solid colors... t shirts, shirts. no stripes. hoodies can have embellishments

i used to own around 7 identical black t shirts / shirts

and like a/d i broke out and bought colored stuff

now that i'm trying to "fit in" and "be one of the happy, groovy people" who lives in chicago and goes out and "lives life to the fullest" "like we're young" with sneakers and lana del rey, etc... i've been wearing stuff veering dangerously on V-neck territory

i've heard that fashion is inescapable... "we all have it." even my black t-shirts were a conscious choice, "communicating something."

part of me thinks i should just start wearing sweatpants and comfortable shit all the time. like, modifying my appearance to suit comfort at its most deep levels. practicality. because in comfort and practicality there is no fashion. no "statement" that i'm trying to make. it's just the best clothes, logically. and all those fashion apologist motherfuckers can finally leave me alone.

part of me thinks i should just start wearing sweatpants and comfortable shit all the time. like, modifying my appearance to suit comfort at its most deep levels. practicality. because in comfort and practicality there is no fashion. no "statement" that i'm trying to make. it's just the best clothes, logically. and all those fashion apologist motherfuckers can finally leave me alone.

crazy thing is, fashion and style don't exist in some continuum outside of comfort and practicality.

I know this is old as shit but it's a good example

brothersharp1.jpg

i've heard that fashion is inescapable... "we all have it." even my black t-shirts were a conscious choice, "communicating something."

yeah for sure. everyone has their own style, consciously or subconsciously putting out some sort of message. it's part of a larger visual language.

Yeah, also sweatpants are super fashionable. Really the basic difference between being fashionable and not is the way your clothes fit. Having clothes that fit you properly or are cut in an interesting way is the best way to be fashionable. Your style should be organic and appear effortless. But yeah not a huge difference in materials or quality generally speaking. I think you are kind of doing yourself a disservice not to express something with your clothes. If you are going to wear something you should enjoy it.

I have always been drawn toward subcultural styles.

club_kids_web2.jpg

(i just was thinking about party monster)

I always love coming across wildly colored bomber jackets in thrift stores. Lately I've noticed that the gabber look is having its moment again.

tumblr_lsdya0Nq7C1qataw0o1_r1_500.jpg

Edited by Salvatorin

For as long as I can remember, I've had a mild distaste for my clothes saying too much about me.

I live in Australia where obviously its fucking warm a lot of the time so I wear a lot of singlets and shit but my favourite clothing is shit that has a great fit and is pretty much blank. Black white or grey. Maybe some red.

Basically no MMA stuff

Guest Franklin

high five encey.

i've been following the Sartorialist for a long time. the dude is pretty famous now and even has an employee that makes most of the actual posts on the blog.