IGNORED

Scare Me

Audioblysk

I have been on the hunt for movies that are actually disturbing and or frightening. Not in the hyper-gory way of Hostel/Saw monstrosities. But in the way of I may actually do something besides laugh the whole way through.

:happy:

Any and all recommendations in the horror/sci-fi/bizzaro are welcome, you all seem like a bunch of movie-buffs

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

martyrs was the last film to really disturb me. honestly, i need suggestions too. i feel like i'm totally desensitized to horror films. nothing does anything for me. i've seen it all.

Tetsuo the iron man

Eraserhead

Inland Empire

Jonestown - The Life And Death Of Peoples Temple

Waco - The Rules OF Engagement

The Kingdom (lars von trier)

Bad Boy Bubby

[youtubehd]xllMb9HbfI8[/youtubehd]

the scene between 00:20 and 02:00~ is the only scary movie-scene i can recall that gives me shivers just thinking about it, and i don't even know why. something about the lady and the mirror. i think it reminds me about a recurring nightmare i had as a kid.

this is the only example i could think of though, and i watch a lot of horror flicks.

that wasn't scary at all, but then j horror people in mirrors with long black hair are inherently goofy, to me. goddamn i need to see a scary movie. i want two hours of anxiety akin to a night terror. pretty sure it doesn't exist.

Kiyoshi Kurosawa's Cure was the first genuinely disturbing movie I've seen in years....Im not sure whether you could call it a straight up horror flick...but its rather existential and with plenty of disturbing psychological material.

[youtubehd]ayyP1ELch0c[/youtubehd]

essentially anything that is a treatise on the dark sides of humanity as a whole get me going....

I'd venture to say that Cure should be considered one of the greatest films of the 90s, if not Japanese cinema as a whole. It just really felt perfect for me.

another one is one you've probably heard a couple times echoed around here, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance.

Although my overall favorite of the trilogy is Lady Vengeance, Mr. Vengeance absolutely captures the utter feeling of despair amidst an increasingly insane world. I don't really want to explain much more than that, but I think this is the only movie I've ever watched where I seriously became temporarily depressed for a few days. Very powerful impact on me.

I would post a trailer for it but honestly I haven't come across a trailer that does it justice.

Haneke's Cache definitely left me unsettled at the end.

There was a straight up suspense/horror movie from Romania or something that I saw recently that was absolutely brilliant in a Hitchcockian sense.Called Ils (They).

[youtubehd]aAWEvZh8flg[/youtubehd]

Give it a try; its a short movie...and made me realize that the "less is more" type of horror movie can still be pulled off to great heights. This is a good un if you just want to straight up feel stressed out for 70 mins or so.....and the other thing I remember loving was that it had very little soundtrack (if any?). I've never seen it recommended or talked about anywhere else...so hopefully im not the only one that thought this was a great horror film?

[youtubehd]aAWEvZh8flg[/youtubehd]

Yup, Them is a good one.

The French film Inside is hard as nails, Lake Mungo has its moments too.

I'll be back later as I can't think at the moment but if anyone mentions Insidious ignore them.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

martyrs was the last film to really disturb me. honestly, i need suggestions too. i feel like i'm totally desensitized to horror films. nothing does anything for me. i've seen it all.

yeah, martyrs will fuck you up emotionally for a week at least.

Archived