IGNORED

stupid first world achievements and successes

eugene

Guest jasondonervan

After putting it off for ages, I managed to install an SSD in my desktop over the weekend. A few fussy moments aside (Samsung data migration tool, I'm looking at you) it all went to plan and now my PC boots to desktop in about 9 seconds off hitting the power button. Photoshop starts up in about 2! Happy days.

Yeah, we did this with the HTPC, was well worth it. Keep files and stuff on another drive though. Just programs and windows on the SSD.

Spot on mate. I have several internal HDDs in the desktop for temp local use/backups, but general file storage is covered by my server :)

waow that's a gnarly little dude!

fws: some watmmers may remember that my gramma died about a month ago. she's come back to life.

oh wait i mean her money is still doing things. she left me a bit of it =] a few grand, just enough to help me finish paying tuition and graduate (if i don't get the scholarship i'm hoping for). if i do get the scholarship, i get to pay off all my other debt and set aside a bit to buy one of the korg volcas. thanks mabel. :wub:

Edited by luke viia

Guest jasondonervan

Waiting in for a signed delivery today. 'Estimated delivery time' was anytime from 10:13am til 11:13am. Delivery driver rings the doorbell at 10:13 on the dot, which was a) very convenient as it meant no more waiting and b) fairly impressive to get a delivery at the earliest possible time in the window that was quoted.

(If I didn't know better, I'd wager he was parked down the road on a break, waiting for the minute hand to tick over)

Picked up some harder to find Batman comics from a local shop for a reasonable price... Shit like that makes me happy.

Guest jasondonervan

Got off my arse and bought a DVI cable to enable dual monitor spills n' thrills at home. Was expecting it to be fussy when setting up, but it was no trouble at all.

atYdRTv.jpg

Guest jasondonervan

Very cool, but if you're not careful your going to knock that lovely beer off the table. It's a bit close to the edge.

Yeah, you've got me there - I accidentally knocked a coffee mug off once (not full, thankfully). Beer is indeed a precious commodity, I will endeavor to recalibrate future beverages :wink:

buying my own car for the first time!! (my first car was my parents, i paid off the remainder of their loan)

oddly enough, Im only truly excited about having an mp3 player in my car so I dont have to carry an ipod everywhere.

buying my own car for the first time!! (my first car was my parents, i paid off the remainder of their loan)

oddly enough, Im only truly excited about having an mp3 player in my car so I dont have to carry an ipod everywhere.

lol, I just went from having to burn cds to play in my car to having a usb ipod interface on my newish car, which was incredible. So there's like an SSD in your car or sommat? What a time to be alive.

(tbqh though, I kind of like the USB connection for keeping my ipod charged and having turn by turn play from the car speakers, and I can navigate through the ipod via the center console)

Edited by baph

lol, I just went from having to burn cds to play in my car to having a usb ipod interface on my newish car, which was incredible. So there's like an SSD in your car or sommat? What a time to be alive.

(tbqh though, I kind of like the USB connection for keeping my ipod charged and having turn by turn play from the car speakers, and I can navigate through the ipod via the center console)

haha, right? quoted for friggin truth. now the problem is for me to figure out how it works.

to be honest Im not sure "what" the mp3 capability actually is, I didn't really look at it as intently as I had planned (honestly though in the large scheme of things its irrelevant, I win as long as I can play music).

Will be sure to fill you in on the details. The challenge is figuring out how to get it to work.

Guest jasondonervan

to be honest Im not sure "what" the mp3 capability actually is, I didn't really look at it as intently as I had planned (honestly though in the large scheme of things its irrelevant, I win as long as I can play music).

On my last car, that meant an AUX input in the centre console.. basically a dirt-style way of feeding any device with a 3.5mm stereo plug into it. My current car didn't have such a convenient option, so I had to MacGyver it in.

Got given about £300 worth of Sainsburys receipts from my mum which gave us over a fivers worth of free food, plus got given a quaffable bottle of red wine and a load of shit dvds from neighbour downstairs, I also borrowed his hoover and now my house is clean.

Brie on french bread, mushrooms and broccoli, washed down with wine for dinner. Lawnmower Man pour les entertainments = good times.

Most modern cars have a CD changer input in the back. Get a plut that fits that with a mini jack and there you go. You may need to short two wires though, i did with mine, otherwise it won't recognise the plug. Now I get radio and my ipod but lose the use of CD unless you either take the plug out or fit a switch on the two shorted wires.

Mine: Wasn't expecting much when I looked at the Bleep sale. Got Fennesz 17.02.12 box set for £28. Sure it was hell of a lot more previously. Does anyone have it? Thought?

thanks! i'm pretty excited for the fall quarter :mu-ziq:

It turns out that I'm actually eligible for scholarships too for my high grades and volunteer work. Also there's a scholarship for working full time and being in school full time (weird hey?).

FW problem though: registration for scholarships is over =(.

You've inspired me to apply next year =)

What qualified you for scholarships btw?

Edited by StephenG

do it! each scholarship I've applied for has had its own requirements... this one had GPA requirements, required a written one+ page letter in the application, and I had to be close to graduation (this one is called a completion scholarship, so my grad app needed to be submitted before I could apply -- I'm graduating after one more semester and my financial aid had run out, which is exactly the sort of scenario this one exists for). Last year I received a national science foundation scholarship based on a combination of merit, written application, and had to be enrolled in a certain type of program to qualify... they're all different. apply for as many as you can! free money is good money

also, fws: I got a gig tutoring a woman in math for at least the next quarter. when I was a tutor before it was through the school and was pretty much just a volunteer gig, though I had a schedule and requirements and stuff. this new tutoring gig is exciting because I'd like to use it as a springboard for starting a small side-job business as a tutor... stephen if it's not too much to ask I may get ahold of you in the future to see if you'd write a small endorsement for a website since we did a few math problems together earlier this year =]

Edited by luke viia