IGNORED

Transgender

gmanyo

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've known two transgenders IRL in my life.

One was a man in his 30's who had turned into a woman, the whole shebang, full surgery and all, not to become a full-fledged woman, but "in order to be able to have lesbian sex with women". She gave me a really bad first impression of transgenders since she always came across as extremely insecure and conflicted. Although the setup sounds extravagant, she was not very fun to be around.

The second was a girl in her early 20's with whom I took a course with, and soon had a big crush on. She'd been applying for hormonal treatment for ages and was finally going to start undergoing it in order to become a man. It was kind of a chock to me, as previous to that, I must have had some subconscious idea that only ugly and insecure people became transgenders. She was the complete opposite to that. After we finished the course, we met sporadically a few times. Once her voice had noticeably changed, that kind of killed my feelings (and freaked me the fuck out how effective this hormone shit is), and I started getting really happy for him at that point - he'd been struggling for so long. But there's still a kernel of the less understanding hetero-male in me that will always feel like it was such a waste of potential. Ah well. Eventually, before we lost touch, I actually told him about this. We had a bit of a laugh about that.

I've known two transgenders IRL in my life.

One was a man in his 30's who had turned into a woman, the whole shebang, full surgery and all, not to become a full-fledged woman, but "in order to be able to have lesbian sex with women". She gave me a really bad first impression of transgenders since she always came across as extremely insecure and conflicted. Although the setup sounds extravagant, she was not very fun to be around.

The second was a girl in her early 20's with whom I took a course with, and soon had a big crush on. She'd been applying for hormonal treatment for ages and was finally going to start undergoing it in order to become a man. It was kind of a chock to me, as previous to that, I must have had some subconscious idea that only ugly and insecure people became transgenders. She was the complete opposite to that. After we finished the course, we met sporadically a few times. Once her voice had noticeably changed, that kind of killed my feelings (and freaked me the fuck out how effective this hormone shit is), and I started getting really happy for him at that point - he'd been struggling for so long. But there's still a kernel of the less understanding hetero-male in me that will always feel like it was such a waste of potential. Ah well. Eventually, before we lost touch, I actually told him about this. We had a bit of a laugh about that.

Sounds hot.

The best acid I've had was free from a transgender woman.

that's an interesting statement, the *first* time i did acid, it was probably the weakest acid I've ever tried and it came from a transgender man at a NIN show who gave me a bunch of dried pineapple covered in liquid LSD

It's all a big meh to me. I don't like it when people make a big deal about anything.

this is basically my position on issues involving gender and sexuality.

if i come across a transgender person my only main concern is that i let on that i know. I wish them nothing but the best!

back in the mid 2000s, i started to do a documentary on elayne angel who was the first (and i think only) person to trademark her tattoos of angel wings, until i met her husband, buck angel, a former female model who is now a transsexual man, so i focused my documentary on him

It's all a big meh to me. I don't like it when people make a big deal about anything.

I think the problem though is that in some ways it has to be a big deal before it's not a big deal. Cultural change requires awareness and activism, but the goal is for it to eventually not be a big deal. That's what had to happen with segregation of blacks; for it to get to a point where it's not a big deal for black people to have the same rights as white people there had to be a movement. Nobody decent thinks twice about it anymore, but for the cultural norm to change there had to be a point made.

I think the problem though is that in some ways it has to be a big deal before it's not a big deal. Cultural change requires awareness and activism, but the goal is for it to eventually not be a big deal. That's what had to happen with segregation of blacks; for it to get to a point where it's not a big deal for black people to have the same rights as white people there had to be a movement. Nobody decent thinks twice about it anymore, but for the cultural norm to change there had to be a point made.

not my fight, sorry. if we all worried about every injustice on the planet, we'd be neurotic messes. unless political activism is your passion, career, life goal, etc., i don't see much of a point in actively participating in it. seems to me that just being cool with other people and sharing your opinion through conversation might make the same amount of difference as parading around picket signs and what not. sure, maybe the latter gets a little bit more done, but i feel like it'd be negligible in the grand scheme of things.

cultural norms are very slow to change. not worth the emotional investment to get all hot and bothered about them. better to go with the flow than swim against it for most people. i'm not saying that we should support outdated discriminatory cultural notions, but that it's better to figure out a way to accept that society, at the moment, is fucked up and try to focus on making yourself happy within those confines.

i feel bad that lgbt people get hated on. i feel bad that american society still heavily discriminates based on skin color and gender (shit like affirmative action are flaccid attempts to make society equal, don't confuse them with how the world actually functions). but i can't do anything and arguing on the internet sure as shit does not help (e.g., those self-absorbed tumblr social justice twats). just try to be kind to others and do your own thing, hopefully we can spread the good vibes that way.

i also feel like the internet is a big game-changer in terms of awareness, so that should help. but, uh, copy-pasting image macros on your tumblr about your new favorite political cause does jack shit imo, so why even bother. (you can tell i really hate tumblr. it's because i do.)

back in the mid 2000s, i started to do a documentary on elayne angel who was the first (and i think only) person to trademark her tattoos of angel wings, until i met her husband, buck angel, a former female model who is now a transsexual man, so i focused my documentary on him

Buck angel's "man with a pussy" work is really quite something to behold.

I dated a transwoman for a little bit. Probably would have dated her longer but she was super catholic and there were jesuses looking at me everywhere in her house and it made me feel really uncomfortable when I wore certain band t-shirts. We didn't have a ton of interests in common, but she was really awesome, and also, although it's irrelevant to the topic at hand, pretty as hell.

Anyway, she was very brave and I admired her, and I can't believe the kind of shit she'd had to deal with in her life just to be true to herself, which should ideally be the easiest, most acceptable thing in the world.

edit: I also think that while this thread is certainly good-intentioned, it's probably not the right place to ask trans people to identify themselves as such.

I don't want anyone to identify as such if they feel uncomfortable, I was really wondering more if there were some that just didn't care if people knew and were willing to share their experiences. Really, don't say so if you don't feel comfortable doing so. And I thought maybe we had members that were already openly trans that I just didn't know about.

Also, @Hoodie, I agree about stupid Facebook/tumblr shit. Most of it is ignorant of the actual problems and does nothing to help any cause.

yeah fuck that, wtf

WTF

Kosilek’s lawyer, Frances Cohen, told the three-judge panel that severe gender-identity disorder is a debilitating condition characterized by suicide attempts, castration, and self-mutilation.

‘‘She suffers . . . mental ­anguish on a daily basis’’ and attempted suicide before ­trial, said Cohen.

Kosilek, formerly known as Robert, was convicted in the 1990 murder of his wife, Cheryl.

She first sued the Department of Correction in 2000. Two years later, Wolf found that Kosilek was entitled to treatment for gender-identity disorder but stopped short of ordering surgery. Kosilek sued again in 2005, arguing that the surgery is a medical necessity.

In his ruling in September, Wolf found that surgery is the ‘‘only adequate treatment’’ for Kosilek and there ‘‘there is no less intrusive means to correct the prolonged violation of Kosilek’s Eighth Amendment right to adequate medical care.’’

This is clearly a hot-button kind of case, but man it pisses me off, I don't want my tax dollars going to that...it defies belief

Let him/her self-mutilate. Or, at least, give her a sharp knife and some antibiotics, and say "go to town."

Do not understand at all, if I were forced to dress in women's clothing for the rest of my life and be referred to as "she" it would be awkward and strange but I'd learn how to get over it. The same should hold true in reverse. It's not psychologically devastating to happen to have a penis. It might be inconvenient, but not devastating.

yeah I know, it's like a case tailor made for reactionary knee-jerking. But still....gaah.

I'm all for people doing whatever they want with their bodies (unless it's aborting late term viable fetuses, but that's another ball of wax)

I just don't like framing it as a life-or-death civil rights issue. It actually seems pretty...petty to me. So focused on the physical. The body is just a shell, what does it matter if it has tits or a dick, really? Of course you could make the opposite argument too, that because the body is just a vessel we should be able to manipulate it how we please, and I agree. In either case, it shouldn't matter all that much. Ok, you're a guy who feels like a lady. You want to dress in women's clothing, cool. You want to get a boobjob and hormone injections...ok...fine, go ahead. You want to chop off your dick...ok...if you really want...just hope you're not in for a disappointment...

I really wonder about that last point too, isn't it cutting off your nose to spite your face? I wonder how many trangenders actually breathe a sigh of relief afterwards and say "ah, finally it is complete"...or are they still dissatisfied? I suspect in many cases the latter. I know we're supposed to believe it's not a disease, but more of an "orientation". However I'm willing to bet at least in some cases it's like body dismorphic disorder or anorexia, where you keep seeing a problem that's just not there. Like Amanda Bynes obsessing about the "webbing" on her nose between her eyes.

Anyhoo, tax dollars certainly shouldn't pay for it. If Muslim women can live in burkahs and survive, surely transexuals can survive until they can pay for their own surgeries.

This is clearly a hot-button kind of case, but man it pisses me off, I don't want my tax dollars going to that...it defies belief

Let him/her self-mutilate. Or, at least, give her a sharp knife and some antibiotics, and say "go to town."

136731475561.jpg

You did a docu on Buck Angel!? That's pretty amazing. Good work. Is finished and out?

Guest Rambo

During the last day or so i've been looking at the Mars One site. It's that project where they want to send people to Mars to colonize and make a reality show out of the process. There's a section (which is a gold mine btw) where you can view 1 minute videos submitted by applicants. In the first 30 videos i saw three transgendered people. Unavoidable conclusion: all transgendered people are desperate to go to Mars.

Archived