MGMT are releasing their third self-titled album on 17th September, and the first track, which was released on National Record Store Day, "Alien Days", can be heard and seen:

http://www.whoismgmt.com/us/news/mgmt-set-release-self-titled-album-september-17

In addition, they've announced both North American and European tour dates, with more to follow.

Alien Days
Cool Song No. 2
Mystery Disease
Introspection
Your Life Is a Lie
A Good Sadness
Astro-Mancy
I Love You Too, Death
Plenty Of Girls In the Sea
An Orphan Of Fortune

[sc5]88612147[/sc5]

[youtubehd]uG2Pgd6Tm7Q[/youtubehd]

I was hoping they'd move more towards the electropop sound of Kids, Electric Feel and Time To Pretend, but alas, from Alien Days it sounds like they're still on their psychedelic rock sound that the (IMO) awful second album Congratulations started...

What happened to the rumour that this album was heavily influenced by Aphex Twin and electronic music? Was that all a pisstake? I guess we'll have to wait and find out...

Interesting - would you say the rest of the album leans towards more the sound of Oracular Spectacular, or Congratulations?

Is the remix coming out on anything, or did you do it just for fun?

Interesting - would you say the rest of the album leans towards more the sound of Oracular Spectacular, or Congratulations?

Not heard their stuff before, apart from the one that goes dadadadadadadaaaa (kids).

they asked me to do a remix and I chose that track.

Not heard their stuff before, apart from the one that goes dadadadadadadaaaa (kids).

Wow, nice they reached out to you. Good to see the "newer" artists of this generation respecting the pioneers who came before them.

Wow, nice they reached out to you. Good to see the "newer" artists of this generation respecting the pioneers who came before them.

I'm just confused about their statements leading up to this release. Unless maybe the rest of the album is more electronic oriented? Was it an inability to translate their inspiration into their output, or a purposeful misdirection?

edit: or maybe zomby is right and the pitchfork journalist are idiots who misquote artists all the time. I mean they can't eve read a pant label obviously.

lol, it's like you're calling mike grandpa. ;-p

Also, i've never heard anything from this band before (that i can recall), that track you posted at the top was rather a non event. (last time i'll comment on my musical dislikes for a while, so treasure it ppl)

lol, it's like you're calling mike grandpa. ;-p

Also, i've never heard anything from this band before (that i can recall), that track you posted at the top was rather a non event. (last time i'll comment on my musical dislikes for a while, so treasure it ppl)

No, not at all - he's around my age!

Plus, he IS a musical pioneer - I don't think anybody would disagree on that point. Respect where it's due.

haha. twas a joke my good man. ;-] you can ease off the sugar coated tinsle, i'm sure it's certain that a chap that started a subforum in someone's honour, respects them.

haah, bless you jR.

/probably past dleetr's bedtime, his posting style is veering towards the delirous. niet niet..

MGMT are releasing their third self-titled album on 17th September...

I was hoping they'd move more towards the electropop sound of Kids, Electric Feel and Time To Pretend, but alas, from Alien Days it sounds like they're still on their psychedelic rock sound that the (IMO) awful second album Congratulations started...

What happened to the rumour that this album was heavily influenced by Aphex Twin and electronic music? Was that all a pisstake? I guess we'll have to wait and find out...

I'm sorry papa, but I couldn't disagree more with you about Congratulations... please don't ban me :)

I thought that album was amazing. Possibly the best album of that year. I listened to that one 3x a day for months.

I also really dig Alien Days. I would not mind a "Congratulations 2", but I'm excited for this new one because they've shown that they can evolve their sound on their own terms, despite popular demand, and produce original, quality work. Great band. I'll be seing them at this year's FYF fest in LA. I'm looking forward to hearing the new tunes live.

• 1 month later...

Not sure about that track but this one looks more like my thang.

I'll be interested to hear the rest of the album.

ARGH!!! I just noticed they put a Nietzsche quote down as Mark Twain at the start of their Kids video. :rolleyes:

Just saw them last night at FYF Fest in Los Angeles. Their visuals were pretty interesting. Everyone seems to be going the way of bad 90s cgi / video game rendering. But the weirdest thing was they had special guest Henry Winkler come out and play the giant cowbell on that song while neon visuals of what looked like an astronaut with a huge schlong spewing a mighty stream of pee was flashing on the big screens. One of the weirdest vibes I've ever experienced at a music festival I think. lol But their set sounded great!

ARGH!!! I just noticed they put a Nietzsche quote down as Mark Twain at the start of their Kids video. :rolleyes:

I can forgive that because of Joanna Newsom playing crappy mom.

I think it was purposeful. maybe?

I think it was purposeful. maybe?

What like when people misquote Schopenhauer on here?

I hope it was deliberate, otherwise they have definitely gone down in my estimation.

MGMT seems to have a hard-on for the 90's despite the fact both of them were probably still in diapers in the 90's. There are bands who channel the 90's much better than this.

Still haven't heard a track I like yet on this - the video for Your Life Is A Lie just screams 'LOOK! We're quirky and zany!' Please, MGMT - go back to what made you interesting - songs like Time to Pretend and Kids or Electric Feel. Those were more unique than any of this schlock.

Of course, this is just my opinion.

Not sure about that track but this one looks more like my thang.

I'll be interested to hear the rest of the album.

Much better.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived