IGNORED

MGMT - Congratulations

Guest Joebot Kill

that album cover is fucking amazing! reminds me of sega genesis. fuck yeah!

i am serious.

i wonder if they will tour with those old painter caps with tails on the back of them. anyone remember those?

Yes, jules, I remember those.

Guest margaret thatcher

not a good album.

loved the first though..

probably something to do with the almighty dave fridmann.

Dave Fridman mixed the new one, actually.

This one is produced by Sonic Boom (of Spectrum, Spacemen3 and E.A.R.).

... they seem to be currently obsessed by all things "Sonic Boom"

is that so? i was sure the 1st lp was produced by dave fridmann....i even saw a video on youtube of him producing it...but i may be wrong.

sonic boom seems to be a bit of a mentalist, but he's done some interesting stuff - heard his collab with delia derbyshire for the first time a few weeks ago on 6music (he was being interviewed by jarvis cocker, god i love 6music) and he came across as someone who'd clearly done far too many hard drugs in his time.

having said that, "the perfect prescription" = awesome.

not a good album.

loved the first though..

probably something to do with the almighty dave fridmann.

Dave Fridman mixed the new one, actually.

This one is produced by Sonic Boom (of Spectrum, Spacemen3 and E.A.R.).

... they seem to be currently obsessed by all things "Sonic Boom"

is that so? i was sure the 1st lp was produced by dave fridmann....i even saw a video on youtube of him producing it...but i may be wrong.

sonic boom seems to be a bit of a mentalist, but he's done some interesting stuff - heard his collab with delia derbyshire for the first time a few weeks ago on 6music (he was being interviewed by jarvis cocker, god i love 6music) and he came across as someone who'd clearly done far too many hard drugs in his time.

having said that, "the perfect prescription" = awesome.

No one said Fridmann didn't produce their first one.

Guest Backson

i never listened to the first album, but from what I've heard of the second I found it to be really decent for what it was, a throwback to the days when prog was upbeat and poppy. At least that's what it felt like.

its sad that these days bravery is scorned rather than rewarded.

i read a review that said "would you have listened to this album if it wasn't MGMT?" and someone had responded "People wouldn't hate it if it wasn't them".

I have been listening to it on repeat since I've downloaded it. The people who talk shit about it either haven't given it a real listen or just think it is cool to bag on them. IMO, MGMT are a breath of fresh air for mainstream/major-label pop.

I love this song (among many others on the new one)... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPDtgfOM34o

I know I shouldn't judge the album on 30 second previews, but I listened to some of it earlier and wasn't much into it. What I liked about the first album was basically the recording techniques and basically what the producer had done with the songs. Because some of the songs from their first EP sounded alright, but on the album with a producer he made them even better.

What I liked about the first album was basically the recording techniques and basically what the producer had done with the songs. Because some of the songs from their first EP sounded alright, but on the album with a producer he made them even better.

In my opinion...

I like the production on this one better.

The songwriting is better too.

By far, the new one is a better album.

I listen to it a minimum of 4X a day and just bought the double vinyl today.

It's different but give it a chance.

Listen to in from beginning to end on headphones.

I'm just now streaming songs online and really enjoying them. I am constantly surprised by what happens, how the transitions work, what effect comes in next, where the melody goes -- and it's weird that the song can pull me along without having very simple or clear hooks.

So far (by track 4) the album seems well-paced, too. I'm listening on shitty laptop speakers, so I'd like to hear this on better ones.

• 4 months later...

this betrays its influences so much that i can't see the point in listening to it. like, the second track, i'll just listen to television personalities. i guess if you haven't heard a lot of music from the seventies maybe this is interesting and brave, but to me it's just kind of pedestrian. ween do this shit so much better.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest GrandPopPoplock

Still can't get into it. Loved the first album, this one is so meh to me.

In...deed .

edit: The cover art has grown on me .

• 5 years later...
  • 4 years later...

and now, after some years everyone is saying it's their best album... :^) 

just found this b-side which is a monster:

i keep facepalming myself everytime i read my past posts... i was such a retard..

mgmt are officially my favorite band, period... new single is fantastic aswell... 

15 hours ago, Tim_J said:

and now, after some years everyone is saying it's their best album... :^) 

just found this b-side which is a monster:

i keep facepalming myself everytime i read my past posts... i was such a retard..

mgmt are officially my favorite band, period... new single is fantastic aswell... 

I love mgmt and somehow I`ve never heard this song before. 14 minutes long?  Amazing. Thanks for posting it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived