IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

I get what you're saying about the grey tones from Shostakovich. It's so deep, powerful, emotional, honestly after getting into that a certain amount of other crap dropped off my radar :) Not you guys of course. Have you heard String quartet 8? If not you should listen.

My last question for today: You guys are not into classical music at all? Whatever era, I'm generalizing. Just curious. Because there's a whole world to offer in that department and you can believe me, the enthusiast classical listeners go crazy/insane/however:emotional while listening to their beloved pieces like other music listeners do. Because many people think its just boring, but its a similar statement like saying Ae is random sounds - utterly wrong.

i just dunno anything about it

recc me some

Just an excerpt: That frightening ending of Shostakovich Symphony No. 4.

Favorite Kubrick film?

Opinion on the Artificial Intelligence comp? Did you enjoy being a part of it?

Any stories relating to Oval Moon? It's a personal favorite.

Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?

Opinion on pizza?

How need to do,in order for you to come to Russia?

whether you want to Russia?
If you have already scheduled visit , when?

I'm serious. have investors who are interested in your arrival and they ask what your requirements (fees, visa, accommodation, city)

sorry for my english.

can write to me personally.)

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY BUY OUR AE AFTER ONLY THREE POSTINGS

wait a minute,

HOW MUCH

lol

25 254

are we really booking shows through watmm now? this is surreal. was kidding. that'll teach me.

Basic Channel question - got massively in to them after you mentioned them in an interview a few years back, Phylyps "Trak" remains probably remains my favourite techno track as result - thanks a million!

Would you count their output from 93/94 as a big influence? Possibly on the Anti EP?

And on the topic of minimal techno - i remember you included "Rhythm of Vision" very briefly during your Oversteps webcast - Do you still keep up with Hood's releases? (Considering he's got a pretty sprawling discography at this stage.....)

Thanks a mil for all the posting today!

yeah i don't think consciously but that was the time i was getting into them, when we did lost and flutter

yeah hood, i think the last thing i got by him was in 2009 or something, but yeah i have a scout now and then see if there's anything like minimal nation out there

not for a while tho, thanks for reminding me

Have you guys ever listened to Terry Riley or Steve Reich?

yeah different trains and a few others, more reich than riley for me

Different trains is good but not near his best, my favorites are music for 18 musicians and eight lines. Electric counterpoint is great too

Best Riley stuff is In C and the poppy nogood stuff, eg this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRwPPIoAgqY

Edited by Joseph

Bit of a noob question: You said you use max for most things now on oversteps and exai. Does that mean you barely work with regular audio files? Is it all synthesis or do you convert to audio and edit that way sometimes? And do ou use max as a kind of sequencer for hardware sounds or? I don't really know much about max btw ;

whether it goes to audiofile in the end depends on what were doing it for, so yeah proper max/msp trax get put to aiff if we need it for an edit or additions, exai was mostly this.

aslo to archive the tracks to listen to either aiff - or maxpat files for storing small.

oversteps tour was max running sequencing patches for midi to nord synth outboard.

My last question for today: You guys are not into classical music at all? Whatever era, I'm generalizing. Just curious. Because there's a whole world to offer in that department and you can believe me, the enthusiast classical listeners go crazy/insane/however:emotional while listening to their beloved pieces like other music listeners do. Because many people think its just boring, but its a similar statement like saying Ae is random sounds - utterly wrong.

i just dunno anything about it

recc me some

Just an excerpt: That frightening ending of Shostakovich Symphony No. 4.

really nice, tbh i was braced for some madness, but i was surprised at the reservedness

I get what you're saying about the grey tones from Shostakovich. It's so deep, powerful, emotional, honestly after getting into that a certain amount of other crap dropped off my radar :) Not you guys of course. Have you heard String quartet 8? If not you should listen.

Yeah. And that one reminds me of Schuberts Death and the Maiden. Which reminds me of Murcof, who remade it which worked well.

Here at 7:04 (Shostakovich Sym. #5 Mvmt 1) is a fantastic example of a perfect transition (as in Surripere) where he pitches the violins up in order to get back to the main theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JokfD5cquI0#t=405

Edited by Guest

Re: Classical Music

What do you guys think of Arvo Pärt? A contemporary composer that has been an influence on a lot of musicians, including electronic musicians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1MM85Nc0dQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-J8LNcZgTA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhS-jLieSdE

I suggest to not skip anything from the last track, it has a silent, slow, spacious ambience you guys might like.

Yeah. And that one reminds me of Schuberts Death and the Maiden. Which reminds me of Murcof, who remade it which worked well.

Here at 7:04 (Shostakovich Sym. #5 Mvmt 1) is a fantastic example of a perfect transition (as in Surripere) where he pitches the violins up in order to get back to the main theme.

I knew instantly what you were talking about. Earth-shattering.

Favorite Kubrick film?

Opinion on the Artificial Intelligence comp? Did you enjoy being a part of it?

Any stories relating to Oval Moon? It's a personal favorite.

Where do you see yourself in 5 or 10 years?

Opinion on pizza?

ah 2001

yeah the comp put me in a spin, cos partly it was afx and hawtin and black dog alexp, yeah it was a headfuck, lots happened really quickly too quickly to fully parse.

thanks, yeah was a period between Legofeet and AI, vintage but cleaner.

don't want to stop or anything, more of something.

yeah def with tuna. lol thought u said onion

Do you find you make different amounts/types of music in Winter / Summer ?

yeah completely

exai is a winter album really, it came out way later than we'd hoped

Which album in the ae catalogue would you say is a summer album?

yeah good point

oversteps maybe, but nah

none of them

I knew instantly what you were talking about. Earth-shattering.

I watched it live a few months ago and the solo violin guy played the above part without any vibrato. I felt like he destroyed the whole movement. Its late, good night guys and thanks.

Have you guys ever listened to Terry Riley or Steve Reich?

yeah different trains and a few others, more reich than riley for me

Different trains is good but not near his best, my favorites are music for 18 musicians and eight lines. Electric counterpoint is great too

Best Riley stuff is In C and the poppy nogood stuff, eg this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRwPPIoAgqY

yeah but different trains is more bluesy more rugged like city music - must be the voices, i do like 18 musicians though, really smooth.

Do you guys see a parallel between what you do and what classical composers or jazz musicians do? Do you like any of that stuff?

classical, same thing really, it depends on how it was recorded a lot for me. like, i like shostakovich chamber works but only when the strings sound really grey, somehow that sounds like i imagine he wanted it to. i might be way off there tbh i know so little about him really

I asked what particular Shostakovich he liked, no response

i got tons of files but i hate the stupid naming conventions

its all like, 'op 1576, movement 51, allegro con delicatessen' and shit

how are you meant to remember anything