IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

I get what you're saying about the grey tones from Shostakovich. It's so deep, powerful, emotional, honestly after getting into that a certain amount of other crap dropped off my radar :) Not you guys of course. Have you heard String quartet 8? If not you should listen.

Yeah. And that one reminds me of Schuberts Death and the Maiden. Which reminds me of Murcof, who remade it which worked well.

Here at 7:04 (Shostakovich Sym. #5 Mvmt 1) is a fantastic example of a perfect transition (as in Surripere) where he pitches the violins up in order to get back to the main theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JokfD5cquI0#t=405

I knew instantly what you were talking about. Earth-shattering.

I watched it live a few months ago and the solo violin guy played the above part without any vibrato. I felt like he destroyed the whole movement. Its late, good night guys and thanks.

reading list , done

spliff, blunt, joint, pipe, bong, or vaporizer?

yes please, eh? wot no buckets?

Edited by Rob Ae

Cheers rob! Interesting stuff. Been meaning to get into Max, I just do things the old fashioned way with ableton live and a bunch of vst + extensive audio editing of recorded synths. Maybe just maybe I will get around to learning max proper

Guest pixelives

My last question for today: You guys are not into classical music at all? Whatever era, I'm generalizing. Just curious. Because there's a whole world to offer in that department and you can believe me, the enthusiast classical listeners go crazy/insane/however:emotional while listening to their beloved pieces like other music listeners do. Because many people think its just boring, but its a similar statement like saying Ae is random sounds - utterly wrong.

Do you guys see a parallel between what you do and what classical composers or jazz musicians do? Do you like any of that stuff?

classical, same thing really, it depends on how it was recorded a lot for me. like, i like shostakovich chamber works but only when the strings sound really grey, somehow that sounds like i imagine he wanted it to. i might be way off there tbh i know so little about him really

I asked what particular Shostakovich he liked, no response

like some new classical stuff, one or two john adams pieces. yeah cmon, tell us something

Ingram Marshall "Fog Tropes" is pretty cool. Trad classical minimal with tape loops and field recordings, echo. Kind of hazy/dusty. More post classical but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYXKHsi9lgo

i got tons of files but i hate the stupid naming conventions

its all like, 'op 1576, movement 51, allegro con delicatessen' and shit

how are you meant to remember anything

LOL!

Altibzz 2:53 The Plc 4:17 IO 3:08 plyPhon 2:33 Perlence 3:25 SonDEremawe 1:21 Simmm 5:00 paralel Suns 3:03 Steels 2:56 Tankakern 3:39 rale 3:43 Fol3 3:47 fwzE 2:39 90101-5l-l 3:11 bnc Castl 2:52 Theswere 2:12 WNSN 4:57 chenc9 4:57 Notwo 5:34 Outh9X

7:15

LOL!

Altibzz 2:53 The Plc 4:17 IO 3:08 plyPhon 2:33 Perlence 3:25 SonDEremawe 1:21 Simmm 5:00 paralel Suns 3:03 Steels 2:56 Tankakern 3:39 rale 3:43 Fol3 3:47 fwzE 2:39 90101-5l-l 3:11 bnc Castl 2:52 Theswere 2:12 WNSN 4:57 chenc9 4:57 Notwo 5:34 Outh9X

lol

I get what you're saying about the grey tones from Shostakovich. It's so deep, powerful, emotional, honestly after getting into that a certain amount of other crap dropped off my radar :) Not you guys of course. Have you heard String quartet 8? If not you should listen.

Yeah. And that one reminds me of Schuberts Death and the Maiden. Which reminds me of Murcof, who remade it which worked well.

Here at 7:04 (Shostakovich Sym. #5 Mvmt 1) is a fantastic example of a perfect transition (as in Surripere) where he pitches the violins up in order to get back to the main theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JokfD5cquI0#t=405

I knew instantly what you were talking about. Earth-shattering.

I watched it live a few months ago and the solo violin guy played the above part without any vibrato. I felt like he destroyed the whole movement. Its late, good night guys and thanks.

reading list , done

spliff, blunt, joint, pipe, bong, or vaporizer?

yes please, eh? wot no buckets?

the next time you guys play in the US i'll throw a few 3-paper cone shaped spliffs on the stage like you were Les Claypool of Primus. I like the thought of either of you taking gravity bong hits (is that what you meant by bucket?). when i was growing up we'd use the kitchen sink and a 2 liter soda bottle.

did anybody ever tease you guys about smoking Djarums? I've gotten hassled for it before, people think it means you're a goth or something.

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Guest InSpectr

How need to do,in order for you to come to Russia?

whether you want to Russia?
If you have already scheduled visit , when?

I'm serious. have investors who are interested in your arrival and they ask what your requirements (fees, visa, accommodation, city)

sorry for my english.

can write to me personally.)

ONE DOES NOT SIMPLY BUY OUR AE AFTER ONLY THREE POSTINGS

wait a minute,

HOW MUCH

lol

25 254

are we really booking shows through watmm now? this is surreal. was kidding. that'll teach me.

I'm sorry but life in Russia all the surreal

the only one i've got is the emerson one, is that a good version?

i dig it tho, with my limited knowledge. I'm sure some big parts of it have been copied on something cos i knew some phrases straight away

Guest jasondonervan

Do either of you have any thoughts on Wiliiam Basinski's 'Disintegration Loops'? Specifically surrounding the notion that appropriated emotions from a catastrophic event (9/11) negatively pushed the music beyond whatever the listener could hope to independently perceive for themselves - due to the heavy burden of sentimentality laid on by Basinski (stills from the smoke emitting from the two towers adorning the sleeve art, bringing up the mythology of how the music came to be at that time during interviews, etc)? Was being in the 'right' place/time (I use that in the loosest possible sense) justification enough for Basinski to legitimately apply such a tragedy to his creative work?

LOL!

lol

2d8.gif

It has the famous DSCH-motif which is also in the 10th Symphony... Yes, Emerson or Borodin Quartet quartet are perfect.

i dig it tho, with my limited knowledge. I'm sure some big parts of it have been copied on something cos i knew some phrases straight away

Edited by Guest

If we're asking about classical stuff, do either of you know/like Scriabin? I think you might like the intensity of it, the out of place phrases fighting against each other into some strange cloud.

And further back, Bach's cello suites are ridiculously good.

ok, duly noted ta.

I haven't heard it before, but listening now on youtube it sounds great, in fact, better than the versions I've heard, thanks!

Edited by Joseph

OMG!! That allegro con delicatessen and shit line was epic. XD XD Well, what isn't in this 90-page-long thread..

Hello B&B, thank you so much for making such an effort the last few days with all the awesome replies. And thank you awfully for all the music.

What's a day in the life of Ae?

Any interesting stuff you can say about any of these tracks? Theme of sudden roundabout, iera, cfern, nuane, latent quarter, 777, netlon sentinel, perlence, they're a few of my faves.

Can you name my oxygen 49?

Space, deep sea or Antarctic?

Android or iOS?

Cheers, thanks again for this q&a session, it's been a great show!