IGNORED

Davvincii - When Will The Bass Drop? (SNL short)

Goiter Sanchez

Time for Americans to forget about Electronic music for another 10 years.

Do you think that if not for the mainstream rise of 'EDM' in the USA European producers like Zedd, David Guetta, Avicii and Swedish House Mafia wouldn't exist in the same capacity that they do now? Considering the origins of many of these 'Superstar DJs' I would posit that the scene in Europe must be just as base and tacky as it is in North America, though that could be a direct result of America growing hungry for dance music over the years.

I think they have a bigger following in North America than in their homelands.

the basic contention is that the average European person is more likely to dislike/ridicule EDM and its producers (even the European ones) than the average North American person. which kind of connotes that the average European listener has better taste. sure there're heaps of shitty trance/EDM DJs in Europe but in lower proportions and with smaller local followings than elsewhere in the world.

not saying any of this is certain fact, just that it's what people might believe. I'm not sure myself.

Guest Phonejack

oh boy here we go

Do you think that if not for the mainstream rise of 'EDM' in the USA European producers like Zedd, David Guetta, Avicii and Swedish House Mafia wouldn't exist in the same capacity that they do now? Considering the origins of many of these 'Superstar DJs' I would posit that the scene in Europe must be just as base and tacky as it is in North America, though that could be a direct result of America growing hungry for dance music over the years.
I don't really have a feel for how popular the big name EDM producers are in Europe, but I don't doubt that their Europeans fans are every bit as er... gauche as the American ones. I was just kind of obliquely referring to the fact that this moment reminds me of the last time Americans were into Electronica, or Big Beat or whatever people were calling it in 1999. There was that brief moment when Moby and The Chemical Brothers were on the verge of pop stardom, and then everyone went back to "real music". I was only a kid at the time, but I feel like this was around the time Madonna did a sort of proto-EDM album to cash in on the trend.

See you in 2024 for Neo-Grimewave.

Oh look. It's this conversation again.

Yes but actually it is a good conversation to have, especially somewhere like watmm with such an international user base.

On mainland europe, trance DJs like Armin van buuren will sell out football stadiums with just him playing an extended set. I see this as him having a great following rather than the scene in general... Don't think many of the edm DJs would want or be able to mix and for 8 hours, hold the attention of the crowd or indeed sell that many tickets?

oh boy here we go

I pretty much agree with doublename really. In fact, I think music in general should stop being made for 10 years & see what happens when folks can make it again.

I think in Europe it used to be shitty trance, then a while after it had died shitty French techtonik got popular, and after that "EDM" didn't really catch on. In fact the term itself isn't too common. But that doesn't mean Skrillex or David Guetta are unknown or unpopular, it's just that it doesn't feel like it's that big.

Still, I don't think Europeans have good taste in general, the mainstream stuff is very bad and it's also mostly made in America anyway, so I don't think there's that much of a difference.

Europeans just like to blame Americans for shit. Really all it is.

Like that time they blamed America for ruining dubstep even tho brostep was invented & popularized by Rusko, Caspa & Coki.

Europeans just like to blame Americans for shit. Really all it is.

Like that time they blamed America for ruining dubstep even tho brostep was invented & popularized by Rusko, Caspa & Coki.

Yeah, well, I don't know. The overflow of American stuff is just too much. It's like commercial stuff is usually very bad, and then you have commercial stuff which is also very American and very geared towards Americans and full of Americanness. Clothes, TV, music, cinema, it's all too American, so I think there's reason to feel a bit uncomfortable. Recently even the university system got turned into something a bit more American (but not really), just because. But that doesn't mean that mainstream stuff is bad because it's American, or because Americans have poor taste. Mainstream Europeanness is abysmal too.

That's a whole bunch of words in a row that contradict themselves and generalize a place that's wildly different on a state-to-state and even city-to-city basis.

You can replace "Americanness" with "intrusive foreignness with branching implications, that happens to come from America and states this fact in a very blunt manner". Whether actual Americans live this way or not, and what is specifically American about that, in fact the whole content of it all, is beside the point.

Also, the taboo where you can't talk about ideology (or even ethnological differences, but that isn't even the case here) because actual people/actual places have individual idiosyncrasies is the hugest load of bullshit. Americanness exists, most of all in Europe, regardless of whether American individuals aren't robots cut from some ideal national pattern, and regardless of whether a national idiosyncrasy actually exists but is not one but multiple.

There are similar phenomena within Europe itself, and funnily enough often the foreign element is supposed to represent the very country where it's received: foreign Eastern-ness in Eastern Europe, foreign Southern-ness in Southern Europe. Cultural tensions abound, and they happen somewhere which is separate from the sphere of the particular.

also, it's pretty near-sighted to ignore that the conditions of production of something greatly affect it. something made in america is often very obviously so, because it's made under conditions which are specific to some other place. however, the particular content and the particular conditions are irrelevant in this case, because being american can't be good or bad in itself: the problem lies with europe, not with america. i think you're being defensive either because i'm not explaining myself well or because you're not getting what i mean at all. or because you're expecting a comment coming from Europe to be something else, i dunno.

to sum it up, americanness is an aspect of european culture which is (more or less incidentally) fueled by products actually made in america, but what is or not really american about them, and whether being american means something at all, is not an integral part of that very european cultural phenomenon named americanness

Archived