IGNORED

Losing the 'one' in tracks and knowing it

• 4 months later...

Dopplereffekt's Isotropy (from Cellular Automata) - where do you guys here the 1?

For me, the first two bass notes entering on 0:35 are placed one 16th after beat 4. The third bass note is on 1.

wtf are you all smoking? it's just a 4/4

Yeah when I posted it I didn't in any way mean it's in a weird non 4/4 time sig or anything, there's just a bit in the main Amen loop which completely throws my brain out every single time

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I don't think I ever hear this Meshuggah track correctly.  Brain always puts the snares on 1 2 3 4, putting all the cymbals and vocals on the off beat.  Sounds cool, but I don't think that's the groove the band intended (I think the cymbals are meant to be on the 1 2 3 4 as well as the vox, but my brain refuses to put it there because of how I interpret the intro riff):

• Like 1

It would prob come off as just sounds to most other animals (random bits of noise with no relation to one another) but humans naturally hear things such as tempo, melody, groove, and all the other things that point towards organized sound... the first beat of a bar being one of those things.  It's one of those things people hear regardless of whether they're aware that's what they're hearing.  And anyone composing music in the traditional sense has intent as to where that beat lies.  Noise/ambient artists (sometimes) excluded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

i still have no idea what this thread is about

this thread is about listening to music and knowing you have feelings for someone who does not have corresponding feels for you. like me, this is what i am doing. i am losing the one while listening to tracks.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I don't think I ever hear this Meshuggah track correctly.  Brain always puts the snares on 1 2 3 4, putting all the cymbals and vocals on the off beat.  Sounds cool, but I don't think that's the groove the band intended (I think the cymbals are meant to be on the 1 2 3 4 as well as the vox, but my brain refuses to put it there because of how I interpret the intro riff):

i can't figure out if the snares are on the & (1&2&3&4&) or on the 1. that bit between ~0:50-1:00 where's it's a pretty straightforward thrash might be key to figuring it out but i'm not smart enough

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, auxien said:

i can't figure out if the snares are on the & (1&2&3&4&) or on the 1. that bit between ~0:50-1:00 where's it's a pretty straightforward thrash might be key to figuring it out but i'm not smart enough

Have only heard this once just now - in that bit you mentioned the SD is on the numbers aka the onbeats.

Usually they put a crash on the 1 when they change from e.g., the verse to a chorus, that's what helped here.

Another similar SD fuckery from them happens in Demiurge, where the snare is on 1 and 3 (not the 2 and 4 as usual).

You ARE smart.

4 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I checked it out, tempo is 110bpm (or 220bpm, whichever suits. I prefer 110).

Song starts on the one. Haake's then enters with cheeky hi-hats in the offbeats like

image.thumb.png.143e914f2c4b3328aadbd6faf3344cd4.png

The bit that starts at 0:32 has bass drum and snare drum like this:

image.thumb.png.d65e4061864803646c5ce1d914c1bfea.png

• Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 1

tried to use a little ingenuity and this is a burgerable screenrecording but hey whatever

1 2 3 4 PAP PAP PAP PAP

i think it's relatively clear what i'm demonstrating here, just to prove what IOS is saying up ^ but i didn't get too complex trying to replicate the previously mentioned drumbeat...just wanted to track the 1 and see how it fell when pseudo-isolating the snare in the track (and obv adding a stock snare sound to match with)

• Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

3 hours ago, IOS said:

I checked it out, tempo is 110bpm (or 220bpm, whichever suits. I prefer 110).

Song starts on the one. Haake's then enters with cheeky hi-hats in the offbeats like

image.thumb.png.143e914f2c4b3328aadbd6faf3344cd4.png

The bit that starts at 0:32 has bass drum and snare drum like this:

image.thumb.png.d65e4061864803646c5ce1d914c1bfea.png

How you described it is how I hear it, but I think those hi-hats are actually meant to denote where the 1 2 3 4 lies (as they do in pretty much every Meshuggah song).

Edited by Zephyr_Nova