IGNORED

The 100 Greatest IDM Tracks according to Fact Magazine

KovalainenFanBoy

wow I definitely recommend checking out names you've never seen before; I'm going through some of the unknown-to-me things on the list right now and I'm very pleased with what I'm hearing. Note, I'm a sucker for the 1990s electro/idm sound...

me too actually, it's great !

BUT, this top 100 is really a WTF ! only one RDJ track and it's On, not a single Ochre, Edit, Tycho, D'Arcangelo, DMX Crew, The Orb and many more are missing.

some tune that i never heard about are great, but not that mind blowing, some other are questionable

where are Vordhosbn or Alberto Balsalm and for the fun they could have put Windowlicker, if i expected to see an Autechre here it'd have been Second Scepe which is a true masterpiece

top lists are always quite subjective, but it's not really good to make a 100top IDM list that dull, it's a unique chance to let new listeners discover this superb music,

lot of people are certainly trying to bring some pieces together about IDM since Syro is out.

they have just ruined an awesome opportunity to bring the light on so many magical IDM tunes

I think they wanted individual artists to appear exactly once.

as others have pointed out, it's true the list is a little dated, and also the top picks for each artist are a little weird.

EVEN SO, it is a great way to discover new music =) don't let the ordering get you down. it even has youtube links! super convenient.

Don't forget/you should know that one of the two compilers is John Twells aka Xela who produced some idm that could be on this list. I'm glad to see Baby Ford introduced like that.

We grew as some kind of antagonist society to FACT due to some disgusting attacks and non-mentions from them (likely a reaction to reading opinions here), but we forget - as with p4k etc. - that these are different people, some of which are more competent than the other.

The selection criteria behind that list are quite questionable: why is it just one track per artist? In the interest of fairness or some shit like that? That's stupid. Let's be real here: if we are asking the question "What are the top 100 IDM tracks of all time?", isn't it likely that at least one artist will have more than one item on that entry? Especially if that particular artist is quite gifted? So, what's with the arbitrary stipulation "one per artist" (which I don't recall that they stated explicitly, but it's obvious that this was the approach they used)? There are really two different lists in the neighborhood:

1. What are the top 100 IDM tracks of all time (regardless of origin)?

vs.

2. What are the top 100 IDM producers, and which is their best track?

The title of their list should be (2), not (1).

but it's not even that!! as six said, their artist list is alright, but the track picks are confusing and misguided imo.

it seems to be really

3. What are the top 100 IDM producers, and what track can we pick to make it look like we really know what we're talking about

The team doyobi pick is ludicrous. Chevron, stick vs sword, or Chouax Bomber at least. Or maybe two of everything but lol pigeon man? nahhh brahh

Yeah, Dr. L, you and six are right. It's definitely option (3). The more that I think about it, the more this list pisses me off. And while I enjoy classic Ae, "Flutter" is not the best selection from their published work. FFS.

Yeah, they had "Bib" by Mouse on Mars, but where was Clark? Or OPN? Or Laurel Halo? or Nathan Fake, or Jon Hopkins? Do these people for some reason not count as IDM because of the time frame? So was this some sort of nostalgia piece? That's stupid. If we're supposed to suspend judgment on the term IDM and allow that it somehow carves musical genres at the joints, then I don't see why the artists I just mentioned aren't on there. I can think of dozens more who equally belong, too.

very little stuff listed from Phthalo, Sonig and many other great IDM-ish labels. To me this list is comprised of the type of IDM stuff from the 90s that was fairly forgettable, floaty melodies lots of pentatonic scale abuse. Very little of this has that spark I liked from my 90s idm, shit that was actually innovative and weird. They have some artists on here like Cylob that did this type of stuff but then chose a more standard track of his. Another bad list from fact

biggest transgressions

- no mention of F.X. Randomiz (who made in my mind one of the greatest 'idm' albums on part with ICBYD)
- no mention of Stock, hausen and walkmen
- no mention of F.U.S.E. (Plastikman's IDMish alias)
- poor choices for tracks of Cylob and Team Doyobi
- no pre Dalglish Chris Douglas (he released tons of OST records in the 90s)
- no mention of o9 church of the ghetto PC
- no mention of Otto von schirach (did i miss this?)

• 2 months later...

Listened to a lot of these tracks on this list. My conclusion is that Warp really do have it all sown up. Most tracks on here are nothing in comparison to the hundreds of tunes on Warp that are omitted (for stupid list-making reasons).

Bola's Vespers was a great find though.

Archived