IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Part 2 of SYROBONKERS! is now available

Guest tonfarben

All the owners were such miserable fackin bastards and always kicked me out for just playing on them twats.
I got kicked out of that little one with the pedals in the window on totenham court road by the bus stop, SO many times…
Then one day when i had moved to london, when I was about 25, I went down in the basement in it and they had a roland 100m fully loaded, I think it was around £200, maybe less, I couldn’t believe it I thought it was a joke, I bought it immediately but looked as unexcited as possible, I was soooo nervous, the guy who owned that shop was the worst cunt of the lot and he didnt remember me from when i was little kicking me out of there.,
I just couldnt belive this tight fisted bugger didnt know what it was but he didnt! hahaaha, I thought this was top karma…then when i went back in there
couple weeks later he had a go at me! even better,! he was like you knew that synth was worth more didn’t you! ha i was like tuff fucking titites mate! bye!
so thats how i got my 1st 100m...

lol

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00000000 00000210 000009F7 00000000010DC279 00000000 00F49854 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

I wonder if this has anything to do with

tOtgp/l2ByE5Iav8EHz+yxV4TrF5nYgf41I1RFYQmn0HA8eSpIN0ITM5IRUveAQhMTEhP0QYQmY=

are there any other weird shit in the tags of MP3s? I plan on downloading them all once i get out of work :3

The same doesn't go for underground electronic music which imo has been at an all time high for years now, theres sooo much good stuff com in out now its totally inspiring and an amazing time to be listening to stuff, i should compile a chart here or something, I'm going to be putting a/v mixes online with my mate eno[weirdcore]

I'd be really curious to see the chart of the new electronic music he likes listening to

are there any other weird shit in the tags of MP3s? I plan on downloading them all once i get out of work :3

CIRCLONT4A[plydslow]+N[unmastered].mp3

Comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxiQmtVGgcQ#t=202

T08+4.mp3

Comment: T08+4 dr110,tx16w,rx11, RiDrum TK09,basimilus iteritas,bx20e,emt,lexicon pcm70,etc etc etc etc etc etc

synthacon1.mp3

Comment: early mix, rspek 2 reese.

Genre: African

A few others have bits of info that I think are in the interview. And some have the comment "my dad is aphex".

CIRCLONT4A[plydslow]+N[unmastered].mp3

Comment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxiQmtVGgcQ#t=202

T08+4.mp3

Comment: T08+4 dr110,tx16w,rx11, RiDrum TK09,basimilus iteritas,bx20e,emt,lexicon pcm70,etc etc etc etc etc etc

synthacon1.mp3

Comment: early mix, rspek 2 reese.

Genre: African

A few others have bits of info that I think are in the interview. And some have the comment "my dad is aphex".

lol

I wonder how many of the new hip guys of the scene are reading this, thinking: man, this man knows so much more than I do about music making...

Obviously, if this interview shows anything, it's that Richard is extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of music making. I'm glad he has finally decided to share some of his musical wisdom. This interview is like a gold mine for other composers.

Mhmm he talks mostly about sound rather than composition. Which is cool and all, but i would have loved to hear more about what he has to say on composition and stof

The same doesn't go for underground electronic music which imo has been at an all time high for years now, theres sooo much good stuff com in out now its totally inspiring and an amazing time to be listening to stuff, i should compile a chart here or something, I'm going to be putting a/v mixes online with my mate eno[weirdcore]

I'd be really curious to see the chart of the new electronic music he likes listening to

me too, here is the Cataclyst discography. Cataclyst is a label ran by Ant from Norman Records where Dave Noyze released most of his stuff including the Automata series

http://www.discogs.com/label/107980-Cataclyst

I wonder how many of the new hip guys of the scene are reading this, thinking: man, this man knows so much more than I do about music making...

Obviously, if this interview shows anything, it's that Richard is extremely knowledgeable about all aspects of music making. I'm glad he has finally decided to share some of his musical wisdom. This interview is like a gold mine for other composers.

Mhmm he talks mostly about sound rather than composition. Which is cool and all, but i would have loved to hear more about what he has to say on composition and stof

Sound is the last thing newbies think about, I know, because it's so complex and abstract, but what is music without sound? ;) Sound makes music and music is sound. Sound will separate a good album from an amazing album. And Richard is rightfully obsessed with sound, it seems to be his primary interest. But you're right, he doesn't talk much about composition as such. Everyone else focus on that, probably because they don't think about sound too much. Then again, change the word composition in the interview for the word setup and suddenly he talks a lot about composition, doesn't he? His setup determines his compositional approach. His setup IS his compositional technique. And sound is what makes it all come alive, or something.

Mine is CGDGBD, which is very close to a standard tuning but just with this you can strum some pretty mindblowing chords.

I used to write a lot in that tuning. Not sure I've ever come across anyone else who did, so cheers!

Also, CGDGCD is a good variation on it. I also settled into CGDGBE for a while.

yo joyrex did afx blow your cover? is your announcement on his a/v things?? Keen on those!

love the klobber talk. when he said in pt 1 no one needs the klobber i think he was just trying to de-value stuff so the rest of us could buy it sorry folks.

he carefully avoided MFM question... confirmed mfm

On recording the tracks live for syro with program changes for eqs and synths... fucking jesus man. what a freak, i almost dont believe it.

interview is full of classics

rare as rocking horse shit

really digging this track

https://soundcloud.com/richarddjames/threnody-to-the-victims-of-hiroshimaaphex-interpretationmonaharm-kopeek8

really nice noisey number and also the symbolism behind it is great. Going to japan recently was a stark reminder of how fucking deeply brainwashed and sociopathic american born empire babies are who still believe in 2014 that Hiroshima 'saved lives' and wasn't one of the most horrendous acts of mass murder ever committed.

if you are one of the massively deranged twats who think dropping a nuke on Hiroshima was a good idea, please don't be ashamed to come out of the shadows

edit: just realized this was a Penderecki cover, had no idea. (rant above still stands)

I'd love to hear these online mixes cuz there will be a tons of richards fav tunez etc.

He never failed to amuse me with his track selections in previous mixes, I think you should just check his latest tracklisted mixes here:

http://www.mixesdb.com/w/Category:Aphex_Twin

Guest Forgiveful Hammer

https://soundcloud.com/richarddjames/threnody-to-the-victims-of-hiroshimaaphex-interpretationmonaharm-kopeek8

really nice noisey number and also the symbolism behind it is great. Going to japan recently was a stark reminder of how fucking deeply brainwashed and sociopathic american born empire babies are who still believe in 2014 that Hiroshima 'saved lives' and wasn't one of the most horrendous acts of mass murder ever committed.

if you are one of the massively deranged twats who think dropping a nuke on Hiroshima was a good idea, please don't be ashamed to come out of the shadows

edit: just realized this was a Penderecki cover, had no idea. (rant above still stands)

I think the bad idea is worshipping the guys who made it possible — feynman & co — pretty much the contemporary hero of american nerd youth in 2014. If you can't the see the evil in your own doing, where are you heading, where ?

Evil isn't in the past nor is it in the future. It's right now as we're writing this. I figured that out more than 2000 years ago.

the emphasis on timbre shaping over structural process makes a lot of sense to me. it seems like he mostly rights music intuitively, sort of deliberately ignorant of traditional organizing except from what hes picked up through osmosis or figured out on his own. most of his stuff sounds to me like hes creating looped sequences and then copying them and transposing the copied sections, adding little variations. sometimes it sounds like he will write a section and then for the next section he will isolate a loop from the previous one and treat is as an element of a unique new composition and then carries on from there which sort of give those dense morphing song in a song in a song tracks.

the other thing on this is i feel with his stuff it wouldn't hold up or be engaging if the timbre's weren't so dynamic and if the relationship between timbres wasn't so natural and intimate. sometimes when i listen to his stuff and i focus in on an element and imagine the melody to be played on an instrument with a static timbre they sound ridiculous. like the product of the early stage of therapy after sustaining a major brain injury. like you could easily write that series of notes and listen to it and think it was a failure if you didn't explore what sort of feeling was buried in it by varying its texture over time and then adding layers and layers of these sort of malformed sequences and unifying all of the dynamic expressions into a cohesive emotional conversation between brilliant poetic retards. fuck it's amazing. im not meaning to be rude at all, i love it so much. i just think really his music is defined way more by his attention to dynamic textural changes and relationships in that world than it is by conventional theory or process or whatever.

i think while syro initially can sort of seem to not be very innovative at first or i guess like it's more of the same in the tuss vein. it's actually really clever and amazing as an example of how space can be used to express feeling. the flat clean quality can sort of seem abrasive, but it creates this sort of cardboard cutout diorama feel. all of these very animated sections sketched out on 2d surfaces and then arranged in a 3d environment. i think if you were able to raise above the sounds in a 3d environment and listen down on them they would disappear save for a thin edge like paper. and listening to it as its presented i get this feeling of pulsing jumps between layered steps of sounds sort of like a low sample rate digital approach to spacial arrangement.

i think this sort of thing is really a relatively unexplored area for composition and defies the pessimistic idea i saw someone mention that fresh music cant be made because creative innovation is completely dependent on the superficial qualities new technology provides. that we've heard it all and everything will be unavoidably referential from now on is just crazy. imo we're just a bit fat from complete access to past ideas and themes that it's difficult to imagine anything else and because of the social scale provided by the net the inspired whims are exposed and exploited before they can be properly fleshed out into proper unique philosophies.

bit of a tangent hehe. i guess the point is uh... sympathetic dynamic relationships are p cool.

"If the law hadn't stepped in, firstly in the uk, rave culture would have almost certainly lead to a revolution and the authorities were absolutely taking it very seriously. Raves were getting bigger and bigger, like hundreds of thousands and some people were just traveling around going from rave to rave, loads of diff types were in there, people making money out of it etc of course but essentially it was groups of people partying,being together from all different backgrounds [what the authorities definitely didn't want] and having a good time, not hurting anyone.
OK that's oversimplified but it was all in there, in the music. That's one of the things dnce music had at the end of the 80's-early 90's, spirit of togetherness with chicago house & acid and then when it turned into ardkore in the UK it was like OK were all together now lets fucking do summink about it! smash up the dance and take to the streets! ... that's all long gone now, rave culture, its just another horrible business now but some people still pretending it's about togetherness etc [as long as u pay the ticket price], its very sad... well one day it will happen again hopefully, when we get out of this strangle hold on the population and have a real awakening. Then we can properly update the anarchy rave sound!"

i can dig

so thankful for this.

thank you.

aphex needs to start a church. im drinking the cool aide. Im there. im listening, sitting indian style with a funny hair cut. let's go

i mean seriously, who else can produce songs 6, 8, 9 off syro with only hardware sequencer and hardware synths, with the effects so dialed in that the song still sounds the same at half the tempo? I mean thats some seriously high level shit. Its almost the antithesis of how every electronic producer is currently working. if there is any post-production/editing on those tracks from Syro its very cleverly done because I can't hear it. Aphex continues to heavily impress even when hes not making 'next level beats' or Drukqs pt 2.

edit: its like he took the inspiration from the Analord sessions, restricting himself to physical gear and tried to hybridize the compositional approach from Drukqs (lots of fast rhythmic, melodic and mood changes) and i think it totally works. For what people expect out of modern electronic music it probably sounds too dry, but thats part of why its so fascinating to me. He's not hiding behind any fancy effects, reverns or delays. its just raw timbres

I think the bad idea is worshipping the guys who made it possible — feynman & co — pretty much the contemporary hero of american nerd youth in 2014. If you can't the see the evil in your own doing, where are you heading, where ?

Evil isn't in the past nor is it in the future. It's right now as we're writing this. I figured that out more than 2000 years ago.

Other things as described by Forgiveful Hammer:

Drukqs -- "Aussois & Two Hours Of B-Sides"

The Founding Fathers -- "John Jay & Several Drinking Buddies"

Game of Thrones -- "Rickard Stark & Various Indistinguishable Personae"

WATMM Sub-Forums -- "Clark & A Handful Of Artists Influenced By Clark"

Archived