IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Part 2 of SYROBONKERS! is now available

Guest tonfarben

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always loved RDJs textures but these interviews have made me appreciate them more. Often I focus more on the flow and variations in texture rather than on the textures themselves I guess. I'm glad these tracks were released, makes everything else sound better listening to it more closely in this way

Guest cult fiction

Still blowing my mind that the japanese bonus track is the newest, I thought for sure it was outtake from ~2010 when metz/singapore were happening. Makes sense though since it sounds extremely loose, you can tell it's a bunch of old gear struggling to parse sysex commands fast enough to switch patches before the next bit comes in.

I guess we know for sure the order in which these tracks were made:

180db

produk 29

minipops 67

XMAS_EVET10

CIRCLONT6A

syro (aka CIRCLONT10A)

CIRCLONT14

s950tx16wasr10

Marchromt30a

and can roughly place the others

Guest bitroast

Still blowing my mind that the japanese bonus track is the newest, I thought for sure it was outtake from ~2010 when metz/singapore were happening. Makes sense though since it sounds extremely loose, you can tell it's a bunch of old gear struggling to parse sysex commands fast enough to switch patches before the next bit comes in.

180db

produk 29

minipops 67

XMAS_EVET10

CIRCLONT6A

syro (aka CIRCLONT10A)

CIRCLONT14

s950tx16wasr10

Marchromt30a

ahh yes. all this is familiar from reading the interview but seeing it written out like this puts it in nice easy perspective:)

Guest bitroast

"nqz3 singing chaos montage+6" is the last track here....

Fucking knew it was RDJ...

wow good pick!!

(that's my recording again^^ window peeper is in same set at 5:20)

i've downloaded them and love them... it's the AFX i want! seriously, i prefer these tracks than Syro. But it's my taste & love the acid sounds which are from soundcloud... if AFX or Aphex Twin does it for an album, i'll be happy! ;-)

"none of the tracks on syro were multi tracked into the computer , they were all recorded live to 2 track, which is kinda insane but the way i like it."

Can you believe that? it kinda makes sense, but it seems so strange

"none of the tracks on syro were multi tracked into the computer , they were all recorded live to 2 track, which is kinda insane but the way i like it."[/size]

Can you believe that? it kinda makes sense, but it seems so strange[/size]

It is amazing, if he's not lying. Maybe he recorded each 'track' to be multi-tracked on the computer to two track. I thought to keep the analogue flow going from machine to vinyl pressing he would have had a proper multitrack mastering setup.

180db

produk 29

minipops 67

XMAS_EVET10

CIRCLONT6A

syro (aka CIRCLONT10A)

CIRCLONT14

s950tx16wasr10

Marchromt30a

Nice one.

Apparently Pseudotimestretch is pretty old, but no specific deets on when it was actually conceived. My guess is in between the three 'Lodge' tracks and the Circlons.

dave: some of em got similar names in my afx incoming folder over the years: ages ago u sent me a casio fz timestretch thing called "casiofz10m pseudo timestretch" has u talking, and then some drum stuff. also CIRCLONT14+4 but mite b diff version? don't seem to b any others with similar titles tho now i chkd.

" nah, rich asks me or couple of his other friends... "

- is this for some music too, The Tuss, Global Goon, etc, - set you up and off you go???

Fantastical that Syro was one take tunes captured in glorious stereo!!

Wow, wow, wow - This is the most entertaining album package I have ever experienced - & not a single expence incurred.

Apparently the Rosetta's Philae Lander has started omitting a deep throbbing hum and rhythmic tapping with obvious and apparent snare rushes that a European Scientist had admitted uploading ten years ago “it is a Syro demo track from way back” he was quoted as saying this afternoon.

some people have said to me, do you make your tracks slow and then speed them up, which is funny to me, answer is no, the vibe would be totally different if you did that, Ive tried it, doesnt work for me, it would sound sped up, I make them at the speed they are, of course I do stare at and enter data in, speed set to zero , ha but thats it, tracks like mt sain michel st micahels mount off drukqs, im surprised i didnt have a heart attack when makin those tracks, i know i was in a total rush state for the entire time of making tracks like those, especially that one!

:huh::nope: i'm not sure he's telling the truth... Vordhosbn for example... i'm sure he normally played then changed speed...

some people have said to me, do you make your tracks slow and then speed them up, which is funny to me, answer is no, the vibe would be totally different if you did that, Ive tried it, doesnt work for me, it would sound sped up, I make them at the speed they are, of course I do stare at and enter data in, speed set to zero , ha but thats it, tracks like mt sain michel st micahels mount off drukqs, im surprised i didnt have a heart attack when makin those tracks, i know i was in a total rush state for the entire time of making tracks like those, especially that one!

:huh::nope: i'm not sure he's telling the truth... Vordhosbn for example... i'm sure he normally played then changed speed...

really why u need to do this? its really a bad idea generally to speed the track after detalization, cause before speeding it may sound fine, but when you do it everything changes and sounds little different, not how u planned. specially the tunes. you need to play it right from begining, it will loose magics. you still can chop and slice breaks at high speeds as usual

even if to twiddle as many knobs as possible on a synth and then speed it up, you dont know how it will sound in the end.

hm maybe at that times DAW was limited to smallest element size fro chopping and he recorded drums at slow and then apply to main track speeded up. but still it's more of a quick fix then cheating. im sure he wouldnt do it on purpose.

or it is some precise moment in vordhosbn that your talking about? im sure it was written as is, its just high tempo

He programs most of his music, so the tempo the track is at doesn't matter. Whatever the tempo, he still has to imagine whatever the melody or beat is. The only time tempo matters is when someone is physically playing the part. But the idea of him tapping out all his drum parts on a keyboard/drum machine at 200bpm is hilarious and I really wish that was how he did it.

*Come to think of it, I've been asked that same question a few times. And yeah, I set the tempo at the beginning so I know what the track's actually going to sound like. In my case I'm working with wav forms, so if I were to speed up the tempo it would resuly in all my drum hits crossfading into each other and other messy bullshit. If I were working with keyboards and drum machines it might be tempting to alter the tempo just to see what happens.

Archived