IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

Richard replied to some hater on the soundcloud saying its 'random notes with a sampled drum break blah blah'.. Anyway Richard is definitely reading the comments :)

lol i thought he'd be less susceptible to trolling

He is being very chatty on it.

RDJ "my computer plays the notes i send it also but I thought seeing as ive been doing that for the last 30 years Id try something different. Also with real instruments I don't have to program in the tiny variations to the sound, hence keeping the structure simple, that is why i originally started making very detailed programming as my brain got bored of the same samples being re-triggered over and over again."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Richard replied to some hater on the soundcloud saying its 'random notes with a sampled drum break blah blah'.. Anyway Richard is definitely reading the comments :)

lol i thought he'd be less susceptible to trolling

This, why would he even bother? Good fun nonetheless :)

Anyway, he did mention that he was at it for 30 years, which adds up to the "suspicion" in the 'guess what the new shit is' thread.

May have been mentioned, but that tank pic with his dad confirms what WATMM had picked up on earlier. It is indeed the correct Derek James in this documentary at 6:40:

[youtubehd]aIbpt1aDFqM[/youtubehd]

I was already looking for that again when I saw those pics, but couldn't find it! Thanks

I still am a little bit tripped out by the drum loop editing on those first two tracks though.

I can't quite hear it on those tracks. What makes you think they're edited? The backwards intro and the band pass filtered clavinet (or whatever) on track one do not sounding quite "live and acoustic", though.

More trainspotting:

The kick on hat 2b 2012b sounds like it's opening a gate for a deep bass note, that long and even sustain doesn't quite sound like the natural envelope of a kick drum.

the bottom layer drum loop sounds like its looped to me, especially on track 3. I guess my complaint is it sounds no more 'live' than someone sampling a looped break if its just a robot break that has been looped, do you know what i mean?

Some light on this:

loop.png

I may come off as a bit of a tool here but I've been meaning to express a more thorough impression of this album after listening to it a few times in various situations. It dawned on me right at the first listen that this is everything syro was not, the daft but great aphex doing something new, unexpected and immensely entertaining.

I honestly believe that apart from some rare microtonal experimental performers and perhaps its style being reminiscent of certain druqks tracks, I have never heard really anything like this before. All the microtonal, out of tune clashes between instruments and percussion (as you struggle to delineate which is which), the ridiculously organic and constantly evolving rhythms and tones, form a mental cacophony that should be alienating but still works out 100%, at least to my ears. As I've gotten sort of jaded with purely electronic "in the box" music and more and more interested in acoustic and electro-acoustic recordings, I feel like this album couldn't have dropped at a better time. There's just so much inspiration in these daft little details. The chorused piano sounding like a synth warble in places simply due to the recording technique and mic placement. The call and response of that metallic twinge in Barn Dance is hypnotic, dark, and yummy as fuck. That extremely out of tune zither (the one from syro?) clashing with the rest of the track's harmony is fantastic, something probably only aphex would think of.

Production-wise, it's like it's all taking place in the underbelly of a pirate ghost ship. The quality of recording and production is unbelievably crisp and well-rounded, like a fine mellow whiskey. I think some may overlook the album as a haphazardly computer-directed plagiarism of adventurous jazz and avantgarde recordings of the past century, much like they thought the druqks piano work was of new classical piano compositions, but personally I think they couldn't be more wrong. That robot drummer is quite funky anyway, and I hope we get to hear more of the band.

So yeah, it's quite good.

What time does it get released tomorrow on bleep?

For Syro, I received it just after 2am Pacific time, so perhaps 10am or so your time?

I may come off as a bit of a tool here but I've been meaning to express a more thorough impression of this album after listening to it a few times in various situations. It dawned on me right at the first listen that this is everything syro was not, the daft but great aphex doing something new, unexpected and immensely entertaining.

I honestly believe that apart from some rare microtonal experimental performers and perhaps its style being reminiscent of certain druqks tracks, I have never heard really anything like this before. All the microtonal, out of tune clashes between instruments and percussion (as you struggle to delineate which is which), the ridiculously organic and constantly evolving rhythms and tones, form a mental cacophony that should be alienating but still works out 100%, at least to my ears. As I've gotten sort of jaded with purely electronic "in the box" music and more and more interested in acoustic and electro-acoustic recordings, I feel like this album couldn't have dropped at a better time. There's just so much inspiration in these daft little details. The chorused piano sounding like a synth warble in places simply due to the recording technique and mic placement. The call and response of that metallic twinge in Barn Dance is hypnotic, dark, and yummy as fuck. That extremely out of tune zither (the one from syro?) clashing with the rest of the track's harmony is fantastic, something probably only aphex would think of.

Production-wise, it's like it's all taking place in the underbelly of a pirate ghost ship. The quality of recording and production is unbelievably crisp and well-rounded, like a fine mellow whiskey. I think some may overlook the album as a haphazardly computer-directed plagiarism of adventurous jazz and avantgarde recordings of the past century, much like they thought the druqks piano work was of new classical piano compositions, but personally I think they couldn't be more wrong. That robot drummer is quite funky anyway, and I hope we get to hear more of the band.

So yeah, it's quite good.

Nicely said chim. This is indeed, first and foremost, some of the finest quality music I've heard in some time. (I feel the same about Syro, for similar and different reasons of its own.) There are many rich and complex harmonics and rhythms hidden (or not) throughout these songs, which so far seem to continually develop which each consecutive listen. As if my ears and cerebral interpretations are fondly being challenged to listen deeper (not harder).

Anyways, yeah, this IS quite good!

Guest LoveRhino

now got my vinyl! this fucking rocks at 45. much prefer it in fact...

I'm with you. Slowly getting used to the 33 speed version on Spotify.

ttt-trransition!!!

Only played one side (at 33 and 45). Very much like the vibe to this. On side 2 right now. Lots and lots going on in the cavernous, haunted catacombs of Planet Aphex.

Savage.

I still am a little bit tripped out by the drum loop editing on those first two tracks though.

I can't quite hear it on those tracks. What makes you think they're edited? The backwards intro and the band pass filtered clavinet (or whatever) on track one do not sounding quite "live and acoustic", though.

More trainspotting:

The kick on hat 2b 2012b sounds like it's opening a gate for a deep bass note, that long and even sustain doesn't quite sound like the natural envelope of a kick drum.

the bottom layer drum loop sounds like its looped to me, especially on track 3. I guess my complaint is it sounds no more 'live' than someone sampling a looped break if its just a robot break that has been looped, do you know what i mean?

Some light on this:

loop.png

what did the guy originally say though? Did he assert RDJ sampled drums from somewhere else or that he just took a loop of his own robot drumming (what i was claiming)

I literally cannot stop listening to it. It's so fucking brilliant.

I'm on my 3rd repeat listen... I love how clanky and full of reverb it is, so wonderfully mechanical but also very organic. It's almost got a bit of an early industrial vibe mixed with that AFX funk. I just wish it was longer I could listen to this all day.

someone posted that earlier, but it doesn't really clarify things. The guy could have originally meant Aphex just sampled someone elses drum loop VS sampling his own loop from an acoustic drum set. Either way i'm not really sure track 1 is using a loop, track 3 definitely sounds like it is though.

Nice little tidbit put up regarding 26 Mixes.

cas9ARR.jpg

Wow. Very interesting about 26 mixes. Read that title very differently now. The second post is worrisome. I hope he keeps in mind the hate he is getting here is surrounded by a ridiculous amount of positive posts... and proceeds to release pt1.

Incredible music. Made a playlist of the EP at 33 followed by it at 45 and it works perfectly. It improves with every listen. It feels very much like the beginning of a series just like the analord EPs. Fingers crossed there's much more to come

hehe afx replying to people slating when his interviews are full of him slating :D

I wanna hear squarepusher's Even Better Music For Robots EP now. what we need is an idm beef war.

snar2 sounds like it was recorded inside with a binaural mic set up. if you listen on head phones you can hear a drastic fluctuation in stereo placement that could correspond to the beaters shown in some of the pictures from the logos foundation website.

that site is totally what I was looking for when I asked about the instruments, thanks <3

Archived