IGNORED

Why is life no longer exciting?

andyb

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started doing things like brewing beer, gardening vegetables/fruits outdoors, cooking with in season ingredients from local produce and meats, baking, visiting farms in my area, hiking, reading (didn't do much of that) growing edible mushrooms, and indoor gardening.

It made me like life a lot more. It's corny, but it satisfies control, pursuit of perfection, producing sustenance, the need for hobbies and best of all, they're all fruitful and sustainable cycles that generate nothing but positive things and uses of time.

2cents.gif

It will happen. You won't expect it, but it could be today, tomorrow, or next year that something happens. That everything that has happened in your life up until then to prepare you for something to completely surprise you still isn't enough preparedness for that something to be expected. And that something fills you with more emotions than you knew still existed in you. This is a perk of human life. It's a rare possibility that may not exist anywhere outside of human nature into the farthest reaches of the subconscious universes of infinite existence. But it can happen in a fraction of a millisecond inside your mind, and only you will be privileged to it. So please live on through the long days, and short years. And never expect it. You can try though. Free excitement.

Guest murphythecat8

I don't know if depression is just a human trait. Dogs can be sad if their mate or owner dies. Earlier humans probably had too much on their mind staying alive than to think about the human condition. I like the expression "human condition", 'condition' I associate with something negative, like being human is a condition that isn't pleasant.

nah, its more like that for every being really.

the three characteristic of existence is impermanence, insatisfaction and non self.

so as long as one try to find solution to his insatisfaction with the senses only, insatisfaction is bound to happen

thats why meditation, which is trying to cultivate happiness with concentration and without the 5 senses (our common way to find happiness), you find a liberty and you discover that each moment and the reality is much more calm and peaceful that you thought it was.

I don't know if depression is just a human trait. Dogs can be sad if their mate or owner dies. Earlier humans probably had too much on their mind staying alive than to think about the human condition. I like the expression "human condition", 'condition' I associate with something negative, like being human is a condition that isn't pleasant.

the three characteristic of existence is impermanence, insatisfaction and non self.

so as long as one try to find solution to his insatisfaction with the senses only, insatisfaction is bound to happen

thats why meditation, which is trying to cultivate happiness with concentration and without the 5 senses (our common way to find happiness), you find a liberty and you discover that each moment and the reality is much more calm and peaceful that you thought it was.

:beer:

this and LimpyLoo posts

I beleived that psychedelics can change my life and give me a recipe of how to be happy, but in long term - they don't solve anything. If we imagine "happiness" like a palace, then psychedelics will only allow you to sneak in the open window and walk there for some time, before guards will kick your butt out. You saw a paradise, but that wasn't really you who saw it. To stay there forever you will need to enter through the main gate, without cheating and with full awareness. That is what meditaion gives you.

I thought yoga and meditation was some mystical stuff to open your chacras, speak with inner self, go astral and all that stinky bullshit, but it's as far away from it as it can be. Sadly, noone ever told me that, untill I tried it myself. The point is that you stop inner dialog and concentrate on one thing, that's it. It's just a simple exercise. But the effect it had on me was little shocking to say at least. It's not like you have to meditate for years to feel it, it's there right from the start, just meditate for 20-30 minutes.

Execrises keep you in a good shape and give you evergy for a whole day, it's the same thing but on emotional level. You basically drop your RAM, reset yourself and somehow the world gets much quiter and nicer place to live in. The more you meditate the more you have this calmness and control over yourself, your actions and your emotions. You stop worrying about meaningless things and start to enjoy every second of living. All your inner dialog is just a big fucking mist that blocks your view and makes you angry and sad. When it dissapears completely, you can start living as a Tree, like Limpy said. Buddha is just someone who lives in this state of mind constantly, while average human, even after meditation, is still reflexing on his past life and alignment, and after some time "effect" of meditation will be gone. With practice comes perfection, and 15-20 minutes in the morning and evening is usually enough. After half a year you will be a different person. The hardest part is to keep doing it, drugs are always easy.

The people that recommended to concentrate on some hobby and start doing new things (to stop think about depression) are right in a way...because it's kinda same deal. BUT it won't solve the main problem. It will help for some time but after that you will be where you started, just like you wrote in your posts. It's not important at all what you are doing, where you go and travel, what hobbies do you have etc. It's all the same shit, nothing is different. You just need to be in that state of mind and suddely everything will be beautiful and interesing like in childhood. That's why Snares can stare in a cat litter all day long.

• 2 weeks later...

Life didn't get exciting to me again until I started travelling, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures with an open mind.

Oh and drugs. Not saying drugs are good for everyone but they definitely help take some of the boredom out of my life. Kind of sad to have to lean on a substance for happiness I guess, it's not true happiness. Oh well.

drug addiction isn't fun but drugs are fun! so if you can use them occasionally for fun then that's good innit.

Life didn't get exciting to me again until I started travelling, meeting new people, experiencing new cultures with an open mind.

Oh and drugs. Not saying drugs are good for everyone but they definitely help take some of the boredom out of my life. Kind of sad to have to lean on a substance for happiness I guess, it's not true happiness. Oh well.

drug addiction isn't fun but drugs are fun! so if you can use them occasionally for fun then that's good innit.

I believe so, I believe they are quite healthy for the right person (some people just can't handle their drugs... I guess the same way some people end up fighting everyone after a few drinks?). I'm referring more to psychedelics/hallucinogens which tend to not be physically addicting though.

I wonder if there's anyone that is in their 70s/80s etc that still does a handful of mushrooms now and then? A guy at my work that's almost 60 said he did some camping a few years ago and had a great time.

=D

edit: I guess it's all in what you turn to as a hobby to keep the boredom out of your life. Some people make model airplanes. I eat mushrooms and listen to autechre. Seems fair.

cheers for this, what an epic grrrrrroove,,,,,,,,, chacra's cleansed & humming

How about some Pharoah Sanders instead - this song is made for feeling better about shit times.

holy.. blessings

Guest murphythecat8

this and LimpyLoo posts

I beleived that psychedelics can change my life and give me a recipe of how to be happy, but in long term - they don't solve anything. If we imagine "happiness" like a palace, then psychedelics will only allow you to sneak in the open window and walk there for some time, before guards will kick your butt out. You saw a paradise, but that wasn't really you who saw it. To stay there forever you will need to enter through the main gate, without cheating and with full awareness. That is what meditaion gives you.

I thought yoga and meditation was some mystical stuff to open your chacras, speak with inner self, go astral and all that stinky bullshit, but it's as far away from it as it can be. Sadly, noone ever told me that, untill I tried it myself. The point is that you stop inner dialog and concentrate on one thing, that's it. It's just a simple exercise. But the effect it had on me was little shocking to say at least. It's not like you have to meditate for years to feel it, it's there right from the start, just meditate for 20-30 minutes.

Execrises keep you in a good shape and give you evergy for a whole day, it's the same thing but on emotional level. You basically drop your RAM, reset yourself and somehow the world gets much quiter and nicer place to live in. The more you meditate the more you have this calmness and control over yourself, your actions and your emotions. You stop worrying about meaningless things and start to enjoy every second of living. All your inner dialog is just a big fucking mist that blocks your view and makes you angry and sad. When it dissapears completely, you can start living as a Tree, like Limpy said. Buddha is just someone who lives in this state of mind constantly, while average human, even after meditation, is still reflexing on his past life and alignment, and after some time "effect" of meditation will be gone. With practice comes perfection, and 15-20 minutes in the morning and evening is usually enough. After half a year you will be a different person. The hardest part is to keep doing it, drugs are always easy.

The people that recommended to concentrate on some hobby and start doing new things (to stop think about depression) are right in a way...because it's kinda same deal. BUT it won't solve the main problem. It will help for some time but after that you will be where you started, just like you wrote in your posts. It's not important at all what you are doing, where you go and travel, what hobbies do you have etc. It's all the same shit, nothing is different. You just need to be in that state of mind and suddely everything will be beautiful and interesing like in childhood. That's why Snares can stare in a cat litter all day long.

hi

mindfulness in life is the gateway to happiness imo. we are all mindful in life and all know what it is. but meditation allow us to stop the thinking process in our mind which brings a whole lot of unsatisfaction and unecessary stress.

when you listen to music and concentrate on it, you are mindful. when you eat something you love, you use mindfulness and are relatively happy while you eat. thing is, we use our mindful to find happiness in life with the 5 senses, with music, food, sex, relationship, all stuff we will loose, all stuff that cannot bring utter satisfaction. we can all clearly see that no matter how good the drugs was, the sex was, the food was, the music is, it all must end and will end and no matter how much fun we get out of the things in life, unsatisfaction always come back in us. so we chase, moment after moment, for pleasure with the 5 senses.

meditation has changed my life. Once you stop the inner dialogue and focus on only one thing, everything dissolve, and you find yourself in a state of calm that you didnt knew was there because of the way we always think, act, ect.

Psychedelics drugs really was useful for me to show me, quite clearly without any doubt, that we are much more then we think we are, much more responsible of our own happiness and that bliss and the divine is within.

Mindfulness of thought literally changed my life. Ive understood how much negativity I was with. Ive learned to not accept negative thoughts, judgments and always love.

meditation is mindfulness of body. you focus on the breath until you finally are so into the moment, that you cannot think because you see that thinking is unsatisfactory and brings you less close to the reality of the breath. every time you are mindful, you purify yourself because you are with this moment. the past is long gone and the future is yet to come, its only now that you are and only now that we must cultivate our happiness.

I will go do my first 10 days retreat soon

this and LimpyLoo posts

hi

mindfulness in life is the gateway to happiness imo. we are all mindful in life and all know what it is. but meditation allow us to stop the thinking process in our mind which brings a whole lot of unsatisfaction and unecessary stress.

when you listen to music and concentrate on it, you are mindful. when you eat something you love, you use mindfulness and are relatively happy while you eat. thing is, we use our mindful to find happiness in life with the 5 senses, with music, food, sex, relationship, all stuff we will loose, all stuff that cannot bring utter satisfaction. we can all clearly see that no matter how good the drugs was, the sex was, the food was, the music is, it all must end and will end and no matter how much fun we get out of the things in life, unsatisfaction always come back in us. so we chase, moment after moment, for pleasure with the 5 senses.

meditation has changed my life. Once you stop the inner dialogue and focus on only one thing, everything dissolve, and you find yourself in a state of calm that you didnt knew was there because of the way we always think, act, ect.

Psychedelics drugs really was useful for me to show me, quite clearly without any doubt, that we are much more then we think we are, much more responsible of our own happiness and that bliss and the divine is within.

Mindfulness of thought literally changed my life. Ive understood how much negativity I was with. Ive learned to not accept negative thoughts, judgments and always love.

meditation is mindfulness of body. you focus on the breath until you finally are so into the moment, that you cannot think because you see that thinking is unsatisfactory and brings you less close to the reality of the breath. every time you are mindful, you purify yourself because you are with this moment. the past is long gone and the future is yet to come, its only now that you are and only now that we must cultivate our happiness.

I will go do my first 10 days retreat soon

last night i started reading this book that someone suggested in the meditation thread:

http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html

your post reminded me a lot about it!

Guest murphythecat8

is there any kind of problem if i try to do it when i go to bed at night right before i fall asleep?

btw, thanks for your insightful words.

no, but you may fall asleep lol!

I meditate 2 hours per day and its very helpful to have a schedule,a s otherwise, in the beginning where meditation is hard to acheive because concentration is very hard, people tend to give up to fast.

its like everything, you need to practice to become good and see the fun in that. just like soccer, its not fun when your not good and cannot play, once you get the hang of it though, it becomes fun.

meditation is changing my life as the insight are quite profound and you attain such calm, you see clearly in normal life how and what stresses you.

I recommend ayya khema or ajahn brahm talks and books.

the goal of meditation is to attain the jhanas.

to begin, its helpful to count at each inbreath and each outbreath until your able to not think and simply follow entirely the breath. but its very helpful to maintain attention using the counting method, up to 10. otherwise, without realizing, your thinking about all sort of thing and then realize 2 minutes later that youve been thinking rather then give yourself to the breath.

also, its helpful to being each session with 5 minutes of loving kindness meditation as it calms very much the mind then you can go with the breath.

murphy yes, all that you said. it's not even that much important to sit in lotus meditating, you can drink a tea for an hour and concentrate on it, or do anything with full mindfulness and it will count.

Your "ego" dissapears and you feel more like a part of the world, rather than isolated individual. Something hallucinogenic drugs do to you. People are so afraid to lose themselves, their emotions, habbits, their body that it brings a lot of suffering. Basically you need to dissolve in this world, lose yourself completely and then you will be happy. Kinda kill consciousness and let the brain do the thing. Ofc, you can still live a normal life as normal person, go to work, have friends etc.

TIMJ - about doing it right before sleep. usually it's recomended to meditate at least couple of hours before going to bed. It actually gives you energy and you might have a problem with falling alseep instantly, but it can vary from person to person, so you can give it a try

also, neuroscience proved that meditation morphs your brain, some parts grow bigger, you improve concentration and memory, fear lessens, and you can ease physical pain with it. Mental exercises. Our brain is amazing thing.

Archived