IGNORED

US dates

Guest pixelives

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob Hall/Cygnus/Autechre @ The Social, Orlando, FL

Had a blast. Venue was small but nice. I'll try to keep my thoughts orderly.

Rob Hall

Smooth as silk and unflappable. He played close to 2 hours to open and another 45 minutes to an hour between Cygnus and Autechre. He was fairly stoic but gad dang can the dude mix. Esp. had the crowd going when he got a bit more intensive with the manipulations, cracked a few smiles here and there.

Cygnus

Super high energy. His set was very dynamic and had some great Drexciya/Detroit type feels throughout. Highlights for me were about 3 or 4 tracks in he had this part going with probably 3 or 4 synth lines sort of syncopating and interacting with each other, super dope; and at the end he did an Autechre remix (I'm shit with AE track names, so the name of the original track evades me currently)

Autechre

Holy shit, I don't think I've ever heard a set that visceral before. They made full use of the sound system. Crazy detailed bass with lots of variation that at some points was rattling my innards. Despite all this there always seemed to be room for atmospherics and other subtleties. Utterly amazing. Highlights for me were the 2 or 3 tracks that I thought they were gonna fucking tear the place apart, had these super metallic/abrasive synth parts going that felt like they were leaping out of the speakers and were in the room with you. Lots of people seem to take it upon themselves to use super bright flash photography during their set. There was one person sort of in the middle back that kept doing it. Super annoying, but was funny to see people in the front sticking up their hands to make sure their middle fingers were in the shot.

As an aside, was nice to shake hands with impotentwhitecapitalist. If there were other watmmers there, sorry if I didn't say hello, wasn't sure who was who.

Got to chat up Cygnus quite a bit, super nice chill dude. Very open and friendly. He even took me backstage to meet the 'chre. Was kind of surreal meeting them so if you're reading this Sean and Rob, it was very nice to meet you and I'm sorry if I said anything weird. (not sure if I did)

AUSTIN: I can't go. Does anyone want a FREE e-ticket to Autechre?

Disclaimer: I'm not sure if the ticket is "transferrable" or not. It has my last name printed on it, dunno if the box office will check your ID for a name match...

Who all is going to the Austin show? Any meetup plans? I'm def going when doors open but might be down for a beer somewhere beforehand.

Apparently Joyrex was considering going but he didn't sound 100 percent certain. I hope he can make it tho, for the sake of support.

If you happen to see a guy who brought his kids with him to the ae concert, just be sure to jump on his shoulders and shout "Hey papa Rex!". And don't forget to take pics and make an audiorecording.

Who all is going to the Austin show? Any meetup plans? I'm def going when doors open but might be down for a beer somewhere beforehand.

Apparently Joyrex was considering going but he didn't sound 100 percent certain. I hope he can make it tho, for the sake of support.

yeah he seemed on the fence

For a good portion of the DC show I was fortunate enough to be situated right behind a group of people who made it a goal to converse with each other at about twice the volume as Autechre's performance, so that everyone around them could hear them talking. I wish the set were just their voices, that would have been a great show. Sean and Rob should take some tips from those people.

For a good portion of the DC show I was fortunate enough to be situated right behind a group of people who made it a goal to converse with each other at about twice the volume as Autechre's performance, so that everyone around them could hear them talking. I wish the set were just their voices, that would have been a great show. Sean and Rob should take some tips from those people.

Had a similar issue with that towards the end of the Vancouver show, where these two dweebs came backwards from the front and planted their feet right in front of me, flapping their traps for the remainder of the show.

In the future, there should be a screen behind the performers that broadcasts people who are talking too much during the show, have a drone or ceiling camera that zooms in on them. Then if they're embarrassed they might get the hint.

I'll be getting to Austin early afternoon Tuesday: I may run by a record store or two, maybe head into Switched On (synth shop!) just depending how much time I have. Probably grab a beer or two pre-show.

I'll be getting to Austin early afternoon Tuesday: I may run by a record store or two, maybe head into Switched On (synth shop!) just depending how much time I have. Probably grab a beer or two pre-show.

i still haven't been there, it's like really close to my work too, i'd def check it out though

there's another record shop in east side called trailer space that's friendly - they give me a beer like every other time i'm there, cheap and good pizza next door too

sound gallery is supposed to be pretty cool too if you like vintage stereos though end of an ear has some too

Go to End of an Ear (record shop).

But I'm also suspicious that they wrote/designed this set to sound as bland and unimpressive in recordings in contrast to the real deal.

Ha ha, no.

But I'm also suspicious that they wrote/designed this set to sound as bland and unimpressive in recordings in contrast to the real deal.

Ha ha, no.

lol, i love it. 'this release is supposed to sound like absolute fuckin shite on good quality headphones and monitors, it only sounds perfect on random vastly varied club sound systems in which we ultimately have no control over '

Late post, but great show in Orlando. thanks to Cygnus for being so warm, cordial, and high-energy. Thank u for showing me back to Rob. Rob, nice meeting u. sorry i didnt make any sense probably, the shrooms were getting really weird at the time, your welcom for not asking for your picture :p Sean, you recluse you, it was a pleasant surprise hitting you with the door as i barged into the bathroom before your set, hope i didnt injure ur shoulder lol. patternoverlap, i remember shaking ur hand but not what i said, hope it wasnt too nonsensical, I remember wanting to compliment u on your art but i never got the chance :( Boomtssphace, you sent me for a trip knowing my roomie, and true fan spek knucks on the northface and general enthusiasm you were radiating. All in all awesome time with nothing but memories to remember it by as my phone died before the show even started.. all well!

Austin show tonight! I've got on a grey tee with a black lettering block on it and blue euro-style shorts (OK they're fucking capris idc :cerious:) so come say hi if you're inclined. I'm friendly.

sent using magic space waves

Archived