IGNORED

Why do most electronic producers have macbook pros?

Polytrix

Why do we all still use QWERTY keyboards with DVORAK is clearly superior?

If you think about fast you type and use the key commands in Renoise, you can save 5 minutes over a period of a year. Efficiencies!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IDM AS FUCK.

I'm amazed this 'debate' is still going to be fair. I just think it's shit they are so expensive. I actually spend quite a lot of time cleaning and updating/error checking my windows 7 laptop and I'd like to just never have to give two shits about that and know it all works. At the end of the day we are all staring into really bright screens that are fucking our eyes wondering about automation lines instead of hitting shit with spoons and putting RDJ to shame.

datei_1414084897.jpg

OSX does seem to support using multiple audio interfaces though. :cisfor:

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-use-multiple-audio-interfaces-on-mac-os-x--audio-9095

I think you can try this in windows too but you get latency issues: we've only been in the 21st century for about 15 years mind

been running multiple audio interfaces in Windows for years, no latency issues. Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

http://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/quick-tip-use-multiple-audio-interfaces-on-mac-os-x--audio-9095

I think you can try this in windows too but you get latency issues: we've only been in the 21st century for about 15 years mind

been running multiple audio interfaces in Windows for years, no latency issues. Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

nice one, I've read only forum posts talking about sync/latency problems regarding this. what configuration are you using to achieve this?

Always been a windows user... first music computer was an under-powered desktop, then a slightly better desktop which I used to gig with until it basically fell apart on stage.

Then windows laptop which used to overheat constantly. I had to prop it up on either side with some old VHS cases to keep it cool until one day it just finally gave up.

Next windows laptop which was plagued by poor battery performance, and poor quality connections meant firewire cables more or less fell out during shows (requiring complete restart).

Eventually got fed up with looking like a tit on stage when my shit doesn't work. Spent a wedge of cash on another windows laptop which started off well, but did not stand up well to gigging/touring at all. Keyboard got messed up, trackpad failed. One show it completely fell apart in my case, I reached into my bag to take laptop out, half of it stayed in the bag. Repaired it with duck tape, and got a few more months out of it.

Once it BSOD on me during a soundcheck, total catastrophic drive failiure. Ended up downloading a load of my own tracks of slsk and did a DJ set using a friend's laptop.

New drive, restored from backup.. Was working on an album at the time, and it developed a great trick of occasionally shutting down for no good reason. Eventually would no longer turn on at all... time for another windows laptop!

Went to local computer shop, they had 2 decent second hand laptops inside my price range. An Alienware thing which looked like a unicorn vomit party, not to mention was incredibly heavy... and a 13" Macbook pro. Needed a laptop, album was already overdue.. Figured you could run XP on apple with bootcamp, so I went with the Apple.

Still have the Macbook pro, still use it for gigs. Had it for maybe 4.5 years now. Done shit load of gigs with it, toured Japan twice with it. Up until recently was using it as my main work computer too. It's never missed a beat, not one single issue with it.

I will never go back to using PC laptops. It's not the OS, I still use windows for most production work, and use OSX for work-work.. but the hardware is just faultless imo. Maybe slightly ironic, but the most stable windows install I've ever had is on a Mac.

I'm actually really careful with my stuff.. Keep it dusted, in proper cases, carried with care. However, a lot of gigging, shitty budget flights and less than considerate security checks at airports mean my stuff gets a fair amount of abuse. Every PC laptop I've ever had just didn't cope.

More than that though, having a computer you're 100% certain will bootup, and work flawlessly when you're about to play a big show is worth the extra cash, without doubt. Nervous enough already!

I don't give a shit about brand loyalty, I just want absolute reliability.

nice one, I've read only forum posts talking about sync/latency problems regarding this. what configuration are you using to achieve this?

im sorry but, windows is built in latency issues. is if incase you dont know latency issues is quite! bad! windows is synonemous with latency. mac is synounemos with no latency. linus is symonymous with setting up OS for 4 years before it work. deal with it cuz jesus, whos company is bought by apple recently, is watcing down from the new Apple headquartsers. lern ur place n deal with it... be4 they get you too.

:trashbear:

Used to love my MBP, until a year ago when its GPU started shitting itself every time I put stress on it, causing a hard reset. Also sometimes happens just when I wake it.

Turns out its a known issue for my model (early 2010 15"), faulty GPU's that go bad after 3-4 years, and apple wants $600 to fix it...yeah no.

It's really hindered my creative process, because I can't trust it and I don't have $2k sitting around to get a new one of similar power.

I have a desktop, but I work best in odd places away from home.

Edit: In addition, I dislike how wealthy and monolithic apple has become, I wish they had solid competition.

sup?

nah

Jus some prikface not watching the ride

ugh, rides are so boring. Definitely the most boring part of any drum kit. IMHO. They're so loud, annoying, and invasive. They're only useful for house music when they're reversed.

linux can be customized in such ways so that 'all hardware' music sounds like magic. fact!

but now i'm more into assemblywave... live coding

sup?

nah

Jus some prikface not watching the ride

ugh, rides are so boring. Definitely the most boring part of any drum kit. IMHO. They're so loud, annoying, and invasive. They're only useful for house music when they're reversed.

I think you mean a crash. rides are wicked man, metal wouldn't be the same without 'em

I was over-exaggerating to the nth degree, but there's a ton of percussion I prefer over rides or even crashes as you say. Too keep it short, stuff in gamelan, or anything that the VERY custom drummer is having here:

Or any pots/pans/tar/sogo/the bongo/dumbek/etc.etc. The timbres of wood are always refreshing too.

I don't dig much metal, but that's just my opinion. Metal is something I've just never got with very few exceptions.

• 1 year later...

I really appreciate the driverless Mac/Linux experience and the low latency audio basically right out of the box is a really great thing, but personally even though I've been using Macs basically all of my life, for the past 4 or so years I've switched over to Windows for a number of reasons. There's nothing wrong with either platform, for music production it really just depends on whether or not you want to use Logic. Though, Apple is now becoming less and less of an alternative now with their newer design philosophy. My 2012 Macbook Pro is seemingly more suited to production than a lot of the newer hardware.

You mean you don't have any use of the killer Touch Bar™ feature to do your IDMz ? You're so 2015. Live in the now !

:cerious:

Probably closer to the end of this year I'll be building a virtualization gaming machine in pursuit of my ultimate goal: a linux host with a windows guest that has direct access to it's own discrete GPU. This has been made possible due to features that have been developed for the KVM hypervisor.

What this means is that a virtualized Windows can run in a virtual machine at very, very close to native bare metal performance, and I can stay full-time in my preferred linux operating system.

What's interesting is that the tech (IOMMU, VFIO, Intel VT-x, and Intel VT-d) that makes this possible is able to pass through almost any PCI device to the guest operating system. Other than gaming, I hope to also install good discrete ASIO capable audio card into my machine and attempt to pass it through to both Windows and MacOS. In theory, I think this should make it possible to run any audio software I want in whatever operating system that I choose on a turnkey basis. It should be able to keep latency quite low.

It's still a bit experimental and there's not much information out there from people doing anything like it. I suspect it will work just fine though.

Probably closer to the end of this year I'll be building a virtualization gaming machine in pursuit of my ultimate goal: a linux host with a windows guest that has direct access to it's own discrete GPU. This has been made possible due to features that have been developed for the KVM hypervisor.

What this means is that a virtualized Windows can run in a virtual machine at very, very close to native bare metal performance, and I can stay full-time in my preferred linux operating system.

What's interesting is that the tech (IOMMU, VFIO, Intel VT-x, and Intel VT-d) that makes this possible is able to pass through almost any PCI device to the guest operating system. Other than gaming, I hope to also install good discrete ASIO capable audio card into my machine and attempt to pass it through to both Windows and MacOS. In theory, I think this should make it possible to run any audio software I want in whatever operating system that I choose on a turnkey basis. It should be able to keep latency quite low.

It's still a bit experimental and there's not much information out there from people doing anything like it. I suspect it will work just fine though.

Are you going to use multiple drives for each OS or are you going to partition one drive for all of it?

EDIT: Also pretty sweet plan by the way, I've thought of doing something similar in the past, never followed through with it for some reason, though. Make sure to bump the thread closer to the end of this year  :wink:

I haven't quite decided yet. Windows 10 in the VM I have now runs great, but I need a new CPU to enable the GPU passthrough and do proper gaming.

Now that you mention it, I might just save some extra cash and get a separate SSD for the virtual machine.

What I find funny about the GPU pass through is that linux has always been lacking games. People still complain about it, but there's a small group of people hopping on the VFIO train who are playing any and all games on linux doing this method. Best of all: when you're done gaming and get sick of Windows 10 trying to nag you about updates in the background, one click of the button and it disappears, only to be resumed again later.

I need to find a good audio interface for this, anything PCI based. Windows, inside of the virtual machine, will get direct access to it. As far as it knows, it is entirely convinced that piece of hardware is it's own and can use drivers to communicate with it like normal.

Lack of touch screen is the only thing that prevented me from getting a Mac. I have a Razer Blade with Windows 8 and the hardware is great, but W8 is dumb.

Archived