IGNORED

Yamaha Reface

Audioblysk

i think its political. need to dumb down the people to stave off the singularity

honestly this is really the only explanation that makes sense at this point, except deepdream could get us a little bit closer. thats the only aberration to what you describe ive seen in literally the last decade.

the state of plugin/DSP audio development is so abysmal that the clockwork machine elves must be purposefully sabotaging people's brains like the mythical gremlins that would cause air disasters during world war II. besides actual mental retardation, its the only thing to explain the 90% of space being taken over by analog emulation fancy gui panel VSts

Edited by John Ehrlichman

Garbage. CS sounds nothing like a CS80 they were touting in the teasers, more like a poly CS 01. Guess that's to be expected, though.

Might pick up the dx in a few years when they're rock bottom.

Terrible teaser campaign for terrible product. They must know this...

If you look between the lines of the "making EDM has never been so fun!" demo

This thing is indeed CS-80-ish

But there are only tiny flashes of it in the demo

The same thing happened with the an1x

Where it really does nail the classic CS-80 brass sound (see Blade Runner OST)

But you have to sift through 10 different demos to catch 3 seconds of it

Because everyone treats it like a Trance Machine

With permanent dotted-8th delay

This CS is actually exactly what I wanted

Aside from no ribbon

It's not analog but I don't care about that anymore

Life's too fucking short

And I just wanna make music

In the same way I'm that I'm not concerned with my girlfriend's internal organs

I also just don't care about the guts of a synth

But yeah it's too expensive

i think its political. need to dumb down the people to stave off the singularity

honestly this is really the only explanation that makes sense at this point, except deepdream could get us a little bit closer. thats the only aberration to what you describe ive seen in literally the last decade.

the state of plugin/DSP audio development is so abysmal that the clockwork machine elves must be purposefully sabotaging people's brains like the mythical gremlins that would cause air disasters during world war II. besides actual mental retardation, its the only thing to explain the 90% of space being taken over by analog emulation fancy gui panel VSts

haha fucking hell

It's not analog but I don't care about that anymore

Life's too fucking short

And I just wanna make music

In the same way I'm that I'm not concerned with my girlfriend's internal organs

I also just don't care about the guts of a synth

But yeah it's too expensive

pretty much.

Guest bitroast

Thing thats bothering me is the lack of proper interface. Like the cs has a magic slider or two and if you turn it up weird magic shit happens depending on your sound. Getting the feeling these arent for me at all..

In the dx vid or one of the sonicstate vids he mentions how this 'particular model' doesnt have a mod wheel.. Giving the impression that a larger version of these keyboards is around the corner coming out in a year so. The Yamaha DX Pro or something, now with larger keyboard for proper playing and mod wheel!!

It just bugs me that these things feel deliberately lacking in features/functionality but at same time dont have an entry level price like you would expect. Dx synth better interface than dx7 is nice but dx7 doesnt exactly have best interface in the world and this one still has its fair share of menu diving it seems.. Because menu diving on a dx is retro?? Like, to access different parts of the menu it showed you have to hold a specific button and wait while the menu cycles through different screens.. Why not just have a dx synth with a proper interface and more hands on ?? Why charge so much ?? Why limit virtual analog to the same lacking interface as cheap, consumer level synths from 80s ?? Because 'the edm community' don't particularaly care about new features.. Look at how succussful rolands 909 virtualAnalogue throwback with added beatrepeat was !!

How boring !!

Hey don't knock analog emulation fancy gui panel VSTs: it's sex with someone I love.

/dada

Guest skibby

If my parents had the money, I would definitely want these so i could take out the boards and put them in a 1u rack.

because I really like Yamaha synths.

Edited by skibby

you can tell these things were designed entirely by their (clueless) marketing department, and not by anyone who actually uses synths.

it's even more sad given that a fan already went ahead and designed the perfect synths for them. all they had to do was build them.

yamaha-digital-synthesizers.jpg

Guest Chesney

Designed by clueless marketing? You dizzyblud?

The interfaces are so simple and intuitive it's unreal. + you are getting as hands on if not more than the originals they emulate with THAT sound. Just think how many classic keyboards (that will take up crazy real estate in your studio) you are getting in this small package and infinitely better sounding emulations than any menu driven preset in a performance workstation costing a few grand.

These things are not built for us finicky knob twiddlers unless we want to make that so.

Yeah, the price is an issue especially if you plan on getting all of them. But I just keep going back to those sounds. I could listen to that Rhodes forever. The key dynamics sound spot on.

Least impressive is the CS to me but it DOES sound like a CS, Trust me. Less so when you tweak deeper. It does not sound like a CS01 particularly, that has a sound of it's own. Also the filter sounds great until the res gets high, sounds like they made it get closer to self osc which is very un CSlike but I imagine careful taming and the CS filter levels are in there.

Also, I think that the magic slider you are on about bit is a mutlifunctional parameter depending on what waveform is selcted. Might need to look at that more.

I personally think that yamaha have nailed their initial entry back into the arena.

I do think that there is more advanced stuff on the horizon. I think they have worked hard on the sound and are using these as a guage. Korg have done it over many times and succeeded and Roland obviosly followed and backed up their initial entry too with some interesting modular.

Well, after seeing the videos, I think they are really interesting. Nice variety of sounds from each module, compact format, battery powered.

Of course these are targeted at keyboard players, not at DAW users. And I think that those are really interesting for a keyboard player, expecially because they sound good, they are portable, the keyboard is playable, they are battery powered. Which basically it means you can play anywhere you want to play... but if you doesn't know how to play... they are pretty useless.

Guest bitroast

yeah, im easing up on this a bit. definitely feeling outside the target market.

the dx one still has my attention at least :)

Guest skibby

i guess its really an issue of status and the crisis of democracy

Edited by skibby

vl?

fuck wait whats going on, full fledged physical modeling keyboard with tons of knobs and faders? how is this actually happening, lol

424133d1413286025-yamaha-wants-hear-your

you can tell these things were designed entirely by their (clueless) marketing department, and not by anyone who actually uses synths.

yeah thats true because clearly their marketing department are VL physical modeling heads (sarcasm)

on this thread it says these are prototypes by Yamaha and they want feedback from users before moving foward http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/12/04/should-yamaha-make-these-digital-synth-designs/

but the part of the yamaha discussion forum they link to is a dead link, anyone know how to get in the mix and provide feedback to yamaha about these?

It's just a concept by a fan, Yamaha aren't involved.

vl?

fuck wait whats going on, full fledged physical modeling keyboard with tons of knobs and faders? how is this actually happening, lol

424133d1413286025-yamaha-wants-hear-your

those are fan-made wish-list prototypes

like the definition of "too good to be true"

Most opinions have been expressed so far but to add mine to the fray, I think these sound pretty good but perhaps a little too expensive right now. Note, the price mentioned on the Sonicstate videos is £347 but the retailers are showing it as £289 for pre-order. So you can do the maths to figure out what that means in your country.

I think I'll possibly be tempted by the DX if I see one for the £250 mark. With that specific version, I liked that it was mentiond in the Sonicstate video that there will be an editor made available for it. Despite it only being sine waves, every operator has feedback which can go +ve and -ve which is quite a unique thing for hardware FM. It is also well place for midi CC's.

Imagine this WATMM friendly situation: Sequenced from the MnM, perhaps getting into some of those nifty arp tricks, then with CCs plocked and further tom-foolery with LFOs further controlling CCs. Then during playback using the little edit touchstrips to further tweak (perhaps changing the algorithim for extra double bonus) whilst recording the whole mess. Yeah, I'm interested.