IGNORED

why is good (dark) ambient so impactful?

xfxf

artists like Oneohtrix Point Never, Biosphere, Coil, Tim Hecker, amongst others. there's something about their ability to construct sound which seems to resonate something ridiculously strongly within me and the experience of listening to some pieces is quite significant.

i've never been able to articulate exactly why this is the case. i'm sure it's something to do with the ambiguity of familiar sounds causing associative memories/emotions to be triggered, but that's about as close as i get without starting to yammer off into nonsensical trife. anybody got any theories on this?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Barung

maybe they all paulstretched farts in different pitches and your subconscious mind recognized the unprocessed sound

I'm going to guess the selection of chords and textures.

And a shitload of delay and reverb.

It's reminicent of the sounds you heard inside the womb as you were being formed in the mothership, before being ejected through space.

^ That's the first one I bothered to listen to. Turned it off halfway through.

:cat:

:( but it sounds like the end of the world

to original poster: gotta listen to zoviet france Shouting at the Ground stat dawg

(1988)

I really like this and i've never really listened to zoviet france before, where should i start?

It's reminicent of the sounds you heard inside the womb as you were being formed in the mothership, before being ejected through space.

epic lol at this.

dunno, but it must be something related to an actual physiological thing in our brains. I mean, even if you don't "like" or "know" ambient music, people tend so feel relaxed when hearing that kind of shit.

that's why i believe ambient music is the purest form of music.

its about Lacan, the structures underpinning the subconscious & the potency of transcendental art

try reading The Agency of the Letter in the Unconscious..... lots of Freudian pilfering but it doesnt take a genius to expand this scheme into certain realms of sound & music, in the same way a film-maker like David Lynch can illustrate these moods with cinema that has the magic to seep deeply into your being

and listen to everything by Coil, Zoviet France, the darker works of Richard H Kirk, Andrew Liles pretty much nails these realms with a huge body of work, plus Steven Stapleton's NWW defies description and Julian Cope did some incredible music (the Odin lp and Eisteddfod 69 with Thighpaulsandra)...... too many to list individually

the more you hunt the further down the rabbit hole you'll descend

tim hecker is not that good

ah i think tim hecker's great, ravedeath especially is just stunning from start to finish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rilnnPrwsTo

i prefered Virgins a lot more then ravedeath, it's just brutal and beautifull musick

you gotta play it on the highest volume possible and the album will reveil itself

I think there is something about appreciating negativity, such as dark music, that is very gratifying for the mind, probably because it is a state of total acceptance, or summink

and listen to everything by Coil, Zoviet France, the darker works of Richard H Kirk, Andrew Liles pretty much nails these realms with a huge body of work, plus Steven Stapleton's NWW defies description and Julian Cope did some incredible music (the Odin lp and Eisteddfod 69 with Thighpaulsandra)...... too many to list individually

the more you hunt the further down the rabbit hole you'll descend

Good to know there's another RHK fan on this forum, I strongly recommend Muslimgauze, Throbbing Gristle, SPK/industrial music in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6y35O_YNzo

I'm not sure it has much to do with memory for me. I know that I enjoy being hypnotized by the dubby elements used with the dark and dirty aesthetics.

I really like this and i've never really listened to zoviet france before, where should i start?

Shadow, Thief of the Sun is one of my favorite albums. Absolutely try that one. Also related to ZF:
Rapoon - Fires of the Borderlands
Dead Voices on Air - Shap; From Labrador to Madagascar

Some of these aren't strictly ambient, and don't focus necessarily on texture, etc. but are impactful to me:
Coil - The Remote Viewer
Labradford - A Stable Reference
Delerium - Spiritual Archives
SPK - Zamia Lehmanni
Fantomas - Delirium Cordia (this is really a metal album, but there are some ambient moments that draw me in for the same reasons as these others I'm listing)
Test Dept - Materia Prima (maybe about half of the tracks here)

Some other artists that I haven't listened to enough of to recommend, but might interest some, and maybe someone can expand on these: Lull, Main, Fossil Aerosol Mining Project

epic lol at this.

dunno, but it must be something related to an actual physiological thing in our brains. I mean, even if you don't "like" or "know" ambient music, people tend so feel relaxed when hearing that kind of shit.

What does this even mean?

epic lol at this.

that it is universally good.

Some people like metal music, some not. Some people like the IDMz, other people not. Some people like Mozart and similar stuff, some people not. Some people like rap, other not... But, ambient music, when done okai, will please absolutely any brain out there. I didn't meant that its like the only music out there, but its the most likable, independently of culture or education.

pd: fuck my english writing/talking skill is going to shit. gotta get some courses quick.

epic lol at this.

that it is universally good.

Some people like metal music, some not. Some people like the IDMz, other people not. Some people like Mozart and similar stuff, some people not. Some people like rap, other not... But, ambient music, when done okai, will please absolutely any brain out there. I didn't meant that its like the only music out there, but its the most likable, independently of culture or education.

pd: fuck my english writing/talking skill is going to shit. gotta get some courses quick.

forever-alone-meme-generator-listen-to-a

Archived