IGNORED

Most frightening film sequences.

fumi

You should watch it, it's a masterpiece of surreal psychological horror. The juxtaposition of the sound & imagery in that film is like nothing I've ever seen and is unsettling on so many levels.

First time I watched it I thought it was terrifying. Second time I watched it I thought it was pretentious wank with Lynch gone too far up his own ass. Third time I watched it I was on mushrooms and decided it's one of the best films ever made. Now I love busting it out when my friends are a little too stoned and giving them nightmares for weeks.

has it got shocks in. i dont like shocks. i like lynch weirdness sometimes...

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did anyone see backcountry yet?

dat bear scene

Yeah that scene is awesome and horrifying. Well done

For me the most scary movie I've ever seen was The Bothersome Man. I have not been able to watch it again and I'm not exaggerating. There was something about it that really struck a nerve with me at the time.

The whole movie freaks me out but here's one scene

Oh and another thing that fucked me up as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVdLvJVpqU

It's a whole episode but there are several scenes. Basically a guy sees a shadowy figure every time he looks in the mirror. The shadow comes closer and closer each time he looks in the mirror. It's still creepy

clarice_600x330.jpg

One of the last scenes in Silence of the Lambs. Maybe not terribly frightening for some but it's one of the most intense moments I've seen in any movie.

That quick shot of the melted body in the bathtub is scarier than anything else mentioned in this thread. Inland Empire was not scary, ffs.

Awesome film, but steer clear of the third and fourth of the series whatever you do!

Even the second one. There are some gruesome continuity and basic technical level errors

Awesome film, but steer clear of the third and fourth of the series whatever you do!

Even the second one. There are some gruesome continuity and basic technical level errors

Ha true, says a lot about the ones that follow when the second is only considered half-bad!

Rec+4.png

This freaked me out.

Not much gets to me at all these days, being a horror film/sick shit/disturbing thing burnout.

But the night after I saw this for the first time, I woke up at 4am and thought "what if that thing from the end of REC was coming up the stairs right now, what would I do?"

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Same boat with the not much getting to me these days scenario. Haven't seen REC actually - *adds to need to watch list*

As a kid I used to be really terrified of being folded in half by a giant gangster dude with a big chin after watching The Rocketeer, lol. Don't think that really qualifies for this thread though

For me the most scary movie I've ever seen was The Bothersome Man. I have not been able to watch it again and I'm not exaggerating. There was something about it that really struck a nerve with me at the time.

The whole movie freaks me out but here's one scene

It just occurred to me that I've seen about half the movies in this thread, but this was probably the most disturbing one. It has this rich, visceral sense of hopelessness and futility that reflects something deep at the core of modern civilization. People call things "depressing" but I think it's literally capable of triggering depression. It's really special but I would strongly advise against watching it in a fragile state.

I can't say I've ever been frightened by a film. It's hard to feel scared by something that I know can't harm me. The only exception would be a few types of music, most notably the album Calcutta Gas Chamber by John Watermann (one of the most terrifying experiences I've had), but that's because music is generally more sincere and emotionally expressive than anything visual, at least when it comes to primal feelings like fear.

There are a few moments in A Serbian Film that get pretty intense, but it never gets to a frightening level.

Shane Meadows has done some proper wtf's, they register cos they're so similar to some of the personalities from my home town (rather than a supernatural entity)

1st one takes about 10secs to get into it

Meadows does very good uncomfortable scenes yeah.

The bit in Dead Man's Shoes when you're waiting for them to all come up on the drugs they were spiked with gave me legit pre-come up anxiety while watching.

ha! i just watched that last night. fuckinorrible. the effects don't seem so good now as the first viewing.

my brothers tricked me into watching this just before i got my train tracks installed.

Archived