IGNORED

Does anyone have a career they truly enjoy?

Lane Visitor

It took me a while to find a career I enjoy. like not until I turned 30. I work at a residential group home helping autistic teens learn life skills. Sure, there's moments of stress, but for the most part I rarely have those times where I wake up with that feeling of 'ugh gotta go to work today' when I worked at a warehouse unloading trucks and worked landscaping, It was different, many times I didn't want to go to work.

For anyone out there that likes to help people and needs a job, check the listings for 'residential counselor' / 'residential assistant' jobs. There's plenty of work in that field and many places all you need is a hs diploma or ged and they'll pay to get you trained. I'm just passing that along because I wished I had known about that earlier in my life, would've saved me a lot of frustration. Oh and also, if you're a night owl, take the overnight shift, you just make sure the people are safe sleeping and there's plenty of downtime to read, study, browse the Web. Heck, I'd make music on nightshift if I could, but headphones are against the rules (gotta be alert in case emergency) and speakers would be rude because the kids are trying to sleep.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've worked in wine retail for the past 13 years, and I do intermittently enjoy it very much. This is predominately because I love wine. There are stretches of severe to moderate customer-fatigue, but I tend to come out the other side of these as I realize that much of what irritates me isn't intentional or personal (or harmful). The old adage about finding something that you love doing and not working a day in your life doesn't really apply, but if you have found something that you love, and you can find work that relates to it, you probably won't dislike the work as much as if it didn't relate to whatever that passion might be.

It has been the truth for millenia, nothing to do with 'merica. It was true when humans hadn't even evolved yet, and it'll be true long after we're gone. Natural selection and survival of the fittest just ARE.

We have created a synthetic world to live in that is temporary and false, but it does not supersede the laws of nature - and in fact it severely conflicts with them, and it is hurting us.

I'm not saying it is "every man for himself", BTW - cooperation, sharing, and mutual respect are awesome and there should be much more of that. Those things are just elements of nature (that other species posses as well) and they are a function of survival. I want a lot more of that, and the way to get more is to get DO it. That is all the point I am trying to make - you won't get anything out of life if you don't put anything into it. The methods of putting-in change over time and technology but you still have to do it if you expect to be satisfied with the outcome.

I'm sorry about ruffling the people's feathers. IARP

This is a very complicated issue but if you are interested study theories discussing absence of free will (not only from philosophical POV but also the scientific ones - neurology etc.). You will see the "DO it" and "if you don't put anything into it" parts of your post could easily become a very problematic topic.

In short, there is a big chance free will does not exist and nobody is responsible for anything (like seriously, from a neurological POV). But as I said, it is to be discussed and it is to be scientifically examined yet.

So just you have something to consider.

you absolutely can have a job you love. I have one at the moment.

the problem most people make is attributing their self-worth directly to their income, which results in making decisions which optimise finance but don't optimise fulfillment and deincentivises taking a critical look at ones long term career path. disconnect them. money is important, but its def not everything.

I'm also speaking from the admittedly privileged position of working in the technology industry; I feel hard for artists and other careers where it's very hard to make any money.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Another thing besides personal fulfillment or money that can give you peace of mind is transferable skill. Knowing you'll be needed and sought after by another company.

For example, there was a big layoff at my site recently, but everyone who was let go will be snatched up by recruiters almost instantly. I even got several emails that week with job openings that looked pretty nice to me, and I know I'd ace the interview and blow them away after dropping knowledge on those bitches. Still at the same place to absorb more valuable knowledge though.

i've been making music for a living for the past 3 years or so, it's fun but stressful at times. i guess im kinda worried about what i'll do after this ends, since i assume i won't be able to do this forever. i should probably go back and finish school at some point, which i didn't do the first time around.

I work in a bookshop and the countless number of people that come in asking if we have any work going should make me feel more privileged but I'm quite sick of it, I'm strongly considering doing courier work, something where I'm self-employed would be the ideal but what that could be I do not know.

I love my job as well - the only thing that worries me sometimes is the fact I don't actually have a degree in what I currently do (a programmer), versus my actual degree (in Visual Communications).

I was a graphic designer for a number of years until I saw that due to technology rapidly advancing, graphic design was going to come to the masses (and it did, via apps that take the guesswork out, and improvements in software where again less technical knowledge is required), and the internet was starting to take off, so I decided to teach myself HTML/CSS and eventually programming, and now I manage a department of programmers. I like the fact I can still program on a daily basis, but the management side of things, while not my cup of tea sometimes (ugh, meetings), allows me to command more pay.

What worries me is even though I've been at my current job almost 17 years, if the situation arose that I need to look for another job, would my experience and gained knowledge be worth anything versus someone with a CS degree and despite having less experience, has probably more overall knowledge.

What worries me is even though I've been at my current job almost 17 years, if the situation arose that I need to look for another job, would my experience and gained knowledge be worth anything versus someone with a CS degree and despite having less experience, has probably more overall knowledge.

My friends dad is actually struggling with this right now. He's got about 25 years of experience in IT but without the degree he's finding it difficult to find work.

I've been working as a laborer in an outdoor equipment rental shop on a military base for nearly a decade. While I'm rather burnt out on it, things could be worse. At least it's not retail, and I have a good boss and people I work with.

Problem is I still have no idea what kind of job I wanna pursue next. I already have a BA in Japanese after I graduated four years ago, but the state I live in is almost solely dependent on oil revenue. At least my language skills come in handy when JASDF personnel come every summer for joint exercises. I've known some of the guys for over three years now.

I hate when people ask me what kind of job I want next, because I can only provide a half-assed answer.

My friends dad is actually struggling with this right now. He's got about 25 years of experience in IT but without the degree he's finding it difficult to find work.
that genuinely surprises me. many talented people in the tech industry don't have a degree related directly to their job - any employer who has half a clue should not make this mandatory. it's an incredibly poor way to vet candidates.

that genuinely surprises me. many talented people in the tech industry don't have a degree related directly to their job - any employer who has half a clue should not make this mandatory. it's an incredibly poor way to vet candidates.

I fully agree! But I think another thing working against him is that he has such a length of experience, people might think he's too old or too experienced or something?

My job is ok. Film producing. It should be considered great. What I don't like is having a boss. Been an anti-authoritarian my whole life, so this is no surprise. Also don't like where I work. Not a creative office. Superficial to the extreme neighborhood. I work in a fear based, reactionary industry led by outrageous egos. Came here to be creative but that idea was suffocated when the need to pay rent led to producing as a day job (read: supporting others' creativity; not particularly your own), which led to not having enough time to do the laundry, let alone being creative, let alone thinking what to create to begin with. Nature has a way of separating the thinkers from the doers.

But feeling a little Holden Caulfield here. Take away or work around these complaints, and yeah the job can be pretty good. So...don't be your own worst enemy. Do what you have to do to survive and be happy in your current position, and use time management to dedicate more to your passions. Otherwise distractions are great. Music, sex, whatever gets you through the night.

What area of producing? editing? sound?

What area of producing? editing? sound?

Film producing is overseeing all stages of production. Generally speaking the easiest way to define a producer is he or she is the coach who hires and oversees everyone in the opening credits of a movie. From director to cast to editor, cinematographer, production designer, composer, etc. On top of identifying and finding the financing the right projects to begin with, and then making sure they come in on budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been working as a laborer in an outdoor equipment rental shop on a military base for nearly a decade. While I'm rather burnt out on it, things could be worse. At least it's not retail, and I have a good boss and people I work with.

Problem is I still have no idea what kind of job I wanna pursue next. I already have a BA in Japanese after I graduated four years ago, but the state I live in is almost solely dependent on oil revenue. At least my language skills come in handy when JASDF personnel come every summer for joint exercises. I've known some of the guys for over three years now.

I hate when people ask me what kind of job I want next, because I can only provide a half-assed answer.

If you like video games or anime and manga, why not seek a job as a localizer at one of the big companies?

If you like video games or anime and manga, why not seek a job as a localizer at one of the big companies?

Hmm...written translation is very doable, provided the time and the proper tools are at my disposal. I'll definitely be thinking on it.

I'm unemployed and last job I had was starting great but ended up being something I went to reluctantly each morning where I would punch my desk and doors when alone in the office. Now I'm looking for a job in a very picky way which isn't recommended but I sure don't wanna end up somewhere lame, I really really don't.

I don't enjoy my career at all lol but I'm patient.

I agree with the fact that you may not want to make a job out of your passion, because you may eventually turn your passion into a nightmare.

i've been making music for a living for the past 3 years or so, it's fun but stressful at times. i guess im kinda worried about what i'll do after this ends, since i assume i won't be able to do this forever. i should probably go back and finish school at some point, which i didn't do the first time around.

Watched Kung Fury last night mate, you are awesome!

I worked for the father of my girlfriend after 2 months we had a screamo fight onthe telephone because he treats his employes like slaves.

Now I work in a little company with a great boss and i love going to work. (I acquire new customers)

• 1 year later...

never had a job I loved. Usually either back breaking work or more usually an asshole for a boss or an asshole you work with who won't leave you alone

Archived