IGNORED

Crappy gear that appeals to you for no good reason

The first distortion pedal I ever bought was the DOD Thrashmaster when I was 10.  I've never heard seen or heard of anyone else using it, and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but I sneak it into recordings every chance I get.  I have reasons for liking it, but not necessarily good ones.  Actually, it's a pretty good pedal for noise sets.  But as a guitar pedal it's not good for much... I just force it to work when the fancy strikes me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI25ChGtdeQ

My first pedal was a Marshall Shredmaster. I traded it in for $20 store credit a couple years later, and I've regretted it almost ever since.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a Boss Chorus pedal that was pretty sweet, but I put the wrong adapter in it one too many times and it developed this really annoying hum... never got rid of it though, I just have no idea where it went.  

fav synth of paul atreides aka paul muad'dib

279255597_ab8696af0a_b.jpg

I see a shower nozzle with hose, I see parts of a sewing machine, I think those knobs are from a stereo receiver (source select, volume and tuning on the bottom row, and some tone and balance controls on the top row), but I can't quite identify what that trumpet shaped steel wireframe outer bit is - maybe a mid century futuristic candle holder or lamp base or something?

I had a Boss Chorus pedal that was pretty sweet, but I put the wrong adapter in it one too many times and it developed this really annoying hum... never got rid of it though, I just have no idea where it went.  

Back in 2008 or 2009 there were Fender Starcaster chorus pedals or sale new for $5 on Amazon and I bought a few.  Over the years I've given most of them away but I still have one and I use it quite a bit.  From what I understand they're basically a direct clone of an early DOD pedal that some people like a lot, but with high and low tone controls added.  It sounds pretty decent to me,an it's all through hole so it would be easy to  modify if I ever wanted to. I think they're stil in production but for the full $60 or whatever there are better options.

Oh, I may have already mentioned it but I really like the little $30-$40 Donner Yellow Fall analog delay pedal you can get on Amazon or eBay.  It's not good, but it's bad in a good way.  Reminds me a bit of the Radio Shack Electronic Reverb that I used to use a lot until I burned it up by plugging the wrong adapter in.  Great for overly clean digital synths.  The thing I like about it is that the headroom in the feedback part of the circuit is so low that when you push it to self oscillation instead of getting really lout like most analog delays do, it stays pretty much the same loudness but gets more and more distorted.  It sounds really lo-fi and raw and also makes t easy to use live because you don't have to worry about huge volume spikes when you're messing with high feedback. Also it's pretty ugly, so that's a bonus too:

donner-yellow-fall-792234.jpg

fav synth of paul atreides aka paul muad'dib

I see a shower nozzle with hose, I see parts of a sewing machine, I think those knobs are from a stereo receiver (source select, volume and tuning on the bottom row, and some tone and balance controls on the top row), but I can't quite identify what that trumpet shaped steel wireframe outer bit is - maybe a mid century futuristic candle holder or lamp base or something?

I think it is the part of the device where you put the weed.

fav synth of paul atreides aka paul muad'dib

I think it is the part of the device where you put the weed.
Idk. Heres what the maker of the synth said about it: "For the succesful space folding you need proper melodies played on a proper synth in spice melange gas chambers and thats where this synth shines the most."

So, it works the best with the spice but i guess itd work with the weed too...

I have pretty dirty Digitech tsr 12 effect unit that randomly triggers some white noise on the left channel that I secretly love and have been unable to rid myself of. Same goes for my aria adt-1 distortion pedal. I know there's probably better stuff out there, but it was some of the first gear I bought. Nostalgia mayne

Archived