IGNORED

Instruments you'd like to own but don't fit in your music style

Ginerpri

Do you have any instruments you'd like to own but you also know it wouldn't fit in your music style? Like, if you make IDM but have a soft spot for let's say, accordions!

How do you deal with it, do you buy it anyway and have fun just for the sake of playing it by itself?

I would love to have one in particular.

It's the Manikin's Memotron. It looks beautiful and sounds amazing, really organic and authentic timbres (the company owner guy recorded tons of original and extremely rare tapes through real Mellotrons and vintage cabinets, a really huge work worth the value, IMO).

I am really into those tape saturated sounds and I also love the readiness: just play a string chord with this and it sounds like a 50s movie soundtrack.

Let me know your instrument, if you have one!

11036501_800.jpg

Guest Chesney

Everything! ha

I did buy a reface CP because I really love the Rhodes sound and that's the best enulation I have heard in ages. I can't even play it with enough gusto to even record something worthwhile without sounding like an amateur twit but it's a fun sound and unlike any other keyboard you can get away with any random mash of notes, the sound just lends itself to discordance.

I would love a good quality, electric Bubul Tarang and it actually would fit really well with most of the non-electronic music I've done in my life but the trouble is anything I would do with it would be unfavorably (and justifiably) compared to Mick Flower so that kind of kills it.

Guest Chesney

I wanted a hang so bad a few years ago and got in touch with the dude making them and the waiting list was redic. Expensive too. Oh well.

Do you have any instruments you'd like to own but you also know it wouldn't fit in your music style? Like, if you make IDM but have a soft spot for let's say, accordions!

Why wouldn't accordions fit in IDM?

Coba - After Dinner (Plaid remix)

Can't find it on youtube sadly but it's from Parts in the Post as y'all probably know.

Bass guitar - had one for a brief while, actually, but I only played it a few times

Harpsichord - Bach sounds so fucking good on it

Mandolin - sound great but I don't know what I would do with it

Harmonica - perfect size for carrying around but they sound terrible

Backpacker's guitar - also cute size but probably doesn't sound so great

Trombone - apparently can be used as a sonic weapon

Greek bouzouki.

Baglama Saz (had one for a couple weeks but the neck wasn't straight so it was unplayable for half the neck and I traded it, but they're one of the greatest sounding stringed instruments out there in my book)

Coba - After Dinner (Plaid remix)

Can't find it on youtube sadly but it's from Parts in the Post as y'all probably know.

Sounds like pirate music yaarrrr

I wanted a hang so bad a few years ago and got in touch with the dude making them and the waiting list was redic. Expensive too. Oh well.

Check out LotusDrum. I know the dude from back in my hippy-rave-rat days. He makes them custom and the price, turnaround time and product are ace

Archived