IGNORED

Syro Gear Discussion

chim

many machines on ix...

everyone seems to have ignored you so let me just say you made my day

(that scene is by far my favorite from the film)

:beer: now you know how i feel about it

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. I've always had the most success with the topdown approach of working out what I want to do overall (e.g. make a nice album) and then breaking that task down into smaller steps, recursing as necessary. For making music, the first step is now always writing a catchy lead melody for a section of a song, never buying some fancy gear. That's for a much later, and frankly less important, stage. You can apply this approach to pretty much any goal in life.

Equipment lists are insightful and I'm grateful for them. What would be even better would be multitracks like Trent Reznor lets people have, or videos walking people through the creative process. Or ideally, all three. :)

It's really interesting seeing the gear listed and it would be incredible to see the process behind RDJ's tracks but tbh in some ways I like not being influenced by knowing all that stuff.

As for owning classic gear I'd love to have a huge studio full of equipment but its just a hobby for me and I dont really have the space or money for it right now, so instead I make really bad recreations of stuff in Reaktor/Supercollider. Sometimes it ends up really close (SH101), and other things are a nightmare (TB303) but then you end up with something that has a unique sound. Win win!

Sound good, let's hear it?

Guest BunnyRabbit

Not everyone has seen or have access to rare expensive outboard gear like that never mind buy it.

RDJ is a normal person and is probably buying gear from past hype too. Just that he's got money to look at alot higher end gear than us norms. He's going to buy the Calrec/ pultec (etc) stuff because it's all amazing sounding industry standard and everyone raves about it so even he's given in to hype. Same with the reason he'll have gone with the Lexicon PCM70 over the other models because of the legendary presets (tileroom) haha. Maybe.

Makes me wonder what happend to his Synton Srinx, GX1 and Steiner Synthacon etc.

It's far more likely he's bought and then sold on a load of stuff that didn't live up to the hype or wasn't serving any purpose. The idea that he buys and then uses the same as everyone based on hype is silly. Most of that gear is well respected for a reason and it has to be assumed he selected them for his studio for a reason too.

I guess that other gear just wasn't used on these tracks. He might well have the other Lexicons too.

Might be wrong but was the list used on the album (transcribed from the artwork) posted here first?

Pitchfork just posted an article attributing it to reddit. I remember jason donervan ranting about this on another thread. Why u no credit watmm

the reddit thread has an absurd post from an 'expert' over at the horrendously named muffwiggler website claiming he can identify all this gear in each track and lists it out track by track :facepalm:

Bow before the mighty muffwiggler

Might be wrong but was the list used on the album (transcribed from the artwork) posted here first?

Pitchfork just posted an article attributing it to reddit. I remember jason donervan ranting about this on another thread. Why u no credit watmm

Yeah it was first in the syro thread, second in this thread and third everywhere else. And they can't even get it right, calling the Simmons SDS3 a "simmons sd53??". We're in the haters metropolis y'all.

I bet the plugin coders are pissed he hasn't mentioned them, they would have loved to see the torrents of their hard work getting hammered.....

He owns a license for http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php from what i remember, bought it too, didn't try blagging a copy - forums might tell lies though so, errr allegedly.

No 303 listed tho....cunt

You think he actually has a GX1? The EX-42 seems very similar and is actually listed here.

This is supposed to be instruments used on the album, not every piece of gear that he has. It's quite possible that his GX1 remains, as each transfer of those seems to be reported about by some friend of some really rich musician. Then again, he might has sold off some gear for the case of streamlining, or perhaps the aphex juniors' college fund.

You think he actually has a GX1? The EX-42 seems very similar and is actually listed here.

If I recall correctly he sold the GX-1 on Vemia did he not?

EDIT: I did not recall correctly. It was withdrawn from sale: http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=5580

EX-42 is/was also on Vemia: http://www.spheremusic.com/Bargaindtl.asp?Item=4841

He almost could have sold the gx-1 for a decent chunk of the gear on the list. probably not worth 15 grand..

Gx1 solo is my favourite tuss tune, i can imagine there are some logistical problems with a 600+ kg rare synth though. probably a cunt to maintain and use

How could he then find and afford THREE PS-3300??

There was a rumor that Matt Black had them and sold them to him back when they was on the cheap? Either way, it's a fucking megalitic synth if you could rig all three together.

My god. 128vco x 3 :wtf:

I don't think this is all of his gear.

He owns a license for http://www.livelab.dk/liveslice.php from what i remember, bought it too, didn't try blagging a copy - forums might tell lies though so, errr allegedly.

I think spending 10 minutes with Liveslice can prove that it doesn't matter if RDJ used it or not, because it's awesome enough that everyone should have a copy.

There was a rumor that Matt Black had them and sold them to him back when they was on the cheap? Either way, it's a fucking megalitic synth if you could rig all three together.

Its 144 * 3 I think :biggrin:

I personally think that owning 3 synths from a total of 50 units is taking the piss. Gear hoarding wanker.

I think spending 10 minutes with Liveslice can prove that it doesn't matter if RDJ used it or not, because it's awesome enough that everyone should have a copy.

quoted for truth

quoted for truth

Shame no one can buy a copy though.

Its 144 * 3 I think :biggrin:

I personally think that owning 3 synths from a total of 50 units is taking the piss. Gear hoarding wanker.

Except with those Korg PS's one can link the 3 together with a special cable from Korg that allows you to use them all as a single giant modular polysynth. It is possibly the ultimate synthesizer, IMHO. I would love to have a single one, although I've only ever seen one for sale, and they can go for well into the 5 digit mark depending on the condition. Hell, I still haven't managed to even find a decent condition PS-3100 that I can get my hands on, so i can't blame a man with much better synth buying funds than I to snatch up 3 of the 3300s if given the chance.

quoted for truth

really? I must admit I'm still using the old Buzz plugin

http://www.buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=849

many machines on ix...

everyone seems to have ignored you so let me just say you made my day

(that scene is by far my favorite from the film)

Mine too... Brilliant...

He who controls the spice Controls the Universe!!!

quoted for truth

really? I must admit I'm still using the old Buzz plugin

http://www.buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=849

I had no idea, and Buzz was my first DAW, as well! Wow, that seriously takes me back. If my main setup wasn't a mac, I'd see about installing it this weekend. I know it had a kind of renaissance in the last few years, and I can't help but wonder how a Buzz track from me would sound 15 years after the later.

Archived