IGNORED

Soundcloud rumours

Psychotronic

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I barely use it these days since they forced everybody over to the new version, meaning my dashboard is full of reposted songs. I've gone from 20 tracks a day to 100, most of which I'm not that bothered about hearing. If they followed Twitter's 'turn off retweets' idea then I'd be more inclined to use it regularly again.

That said, I've noticed a lot of people I follow are barely posting there any more, and I get far fewer plays these days than I used to, it definitely seems drastically quieter these days than it used to be. It's probably telling than it has a 'Who to follow' box which is never based on similar artists to those I like, but accounts with hundreds of thousands of followers already. It's not promoting smaller artists of interest, just those with a sizable fanbase already.

Fuck! Very bad news! It would be a big blow to the underground if they close! Will kill or at least lower many amateur artist motivation i think.Even if you get like only a few comments and likes these good vibes help you keeping the motivation and wanting to improve.If there was no soundcloud i would probably not have made all the music i did in the last years.Never get records deal and no album...I would just have give up or something....

I guess its gonna go back to forums and new platforms gonna get created but still its sad if they close.Its a fun community.

Has there been an official announcement from soundcloud on the rumors of going bust, can't find anything on their website real quick. With the amount of users, surely someone will pick it up and put together a better business model, make it work?

• 3 weeks later...

"despite have 175 million active users, none of them are paying for the service"

Erm.

edit: unless this means listeners, I suppose.

It does. Was a bad move to not implement a micro payment system like bandcamp. As soon as bandcamp came up with it, they should at least have copied the system. But i think their devs were busy removing flash from the site at that time.

So they'll be adding loads of annoying ads unless you pay for a subscription I'm guessing, probably including audio ads which play intermittently as you use the site.

Hopefully the listening subscription will be included with the existing hosting subscriptions they already offer.

• 2 weeks later...

That doesn't sound that bad, though they don't say whether they'll be adding ads to the free service or not, hopefully not. The free service sounds like it's remaining exactly the same otherwise.

Yeah tbh I don't see anything wrong with them trying to earn a little money ("a little" because I'm not sure they get that much people in this) to still run everything else normally. Everybody loves 100% free stuff but sadly a company needs money to live at some point.

hopefully the ads are only for listening to drake and other big names instead of what the majority of users actually use the service for. . highly doubt it tho.

That doesn't sound that bad, though they don't say whether they'll be adding ads to the free service or not, hopefully not. The free service sounds like it's remaining exactly the same otherwise.

"Ads help us earn money for artists, but they can sometimes interrupt your listening experience. We know that some users may want to remove anything that disrupts the experience of listening, whether that’s an audio ad in-between tracks or a display ad. SoundCloud Go allows you to do just that: remove interruptive ads from your experience."

That sounds like there will be ads for free listening and paying $9.99 per month will remove the ads.

Archived