IGNORED

Soundcloud rumours

Psychotronic

How ads work

Ads are only played against content with the Premier Partner’s explicit consent. Ads will not be placed on any of your tracks if you are a Free, Pro, or Pro Unlimited user.

If that is true, then all is fine and i can just ignore this brave new world. But if i see ads on any of my tracks in the future, i will delete my account immediately. keile.gif

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea what this means for registered producers. Will it cost money to provide content to the site? Will you be unable to uncheck "downloadable" for paid subscribers? Will there be even more gaming the system with likebuys and whatnot?

I don't think SC is fantastic for independent artists, it's mostly decent for subgenre aggregators, but it's been good to me over the years so it'd kinda suck if this gets very restrictive.

• 1 year later...

In my experience of music on the internet, SC really adds nothing that you can't already do elsewhere. Getting rid of groups killed the social aspect of it, which was the only thing that was really any different from just dumping your stuff on youtube.

Cutting jobs and costs is the only way they'll stay afloat in today's world. They're bleeding cash.

Why all the SoundCloud hate? There's still a great social aspect, even today. Maybe not as good of a social framework for people making music with comments like "nice! This sounds like autechre", but it's definitely there (no offense). In my opinion, groups were the most cringeworthy aspect of SoundCloud.

Also, all streaming services are suffering huge losses. SoundCloud is just one of the ones that doesn't have huge funding. Spotify lost over half a billion dollars last year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-15/spotify-losses-widen-after-music-site-flags-accounting-errors

I haven't been on there in months. Most of my feed is just previews of upcoming tracks or tons 3 hour long DJ mixes I never feel like listening to so I'm probably part of the problem.

Why all the SoundCloud hate? There's still a great social aspect, even today. Maybe not as good of a social framework for people making music with comments like "nice! This sounds like autechre", but it's definitely there (no offense). In my opinion, groups were the most cringeworthy aspect of SoundCloud.

Also, all streaming services are suffering huge losses. SoundCloud is just one of the ones that doesn't have huge funding. Spotify lost over half a billion dollars last year.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-15/spotify-losses-widen-after-music-site-flags-accounting-errors

Totally fair, I guess I've just got the thousand yard stare that comes with watching the music industry exist these days... 

I still browse SC a few times a week. Although I still wish there was an option to turn off reposts (some people repost about 20 tracks a day, like fuck do I have the time to listen to them all, especially as I never like many), it's still a nice way to hear WIPs, new pieces and album teasers from artists and labels I like all in one place. I never used groups when they were around so don't miss that side of it all.

I don't mind paying for a pro account, I just don't want it to shut down before I even get my year's worth.

Archived