IGNORED

Is the future of Jazz electronic?

HexagonSun

I mean, Miles In The Sky was mid-60's

By 67 we had Miles' 'lost quartet'

Which turned into the Live Evil/Bitches Brew stuff

...then all the CTA records...Joe Farrell, Chick Corea et all

By the 70's we had Mahavishnu and Return to Forever and Herbie and Ornette's weirdo electric bands...

Then there was a traditionalist revival in the 80's

But by the 90's shit got weirdo and electric/electronic again

These days we have Mark Guiliana, Jason Lindner, Technoself, Kurt Rosenwinkel's weirdo DIY record Heartcore...I mean prolly half the current NY jazz scene is electronic

Anyways, "Jazz" is an approach, not a sound or an instrumentation

It can be done with an Arp Odyssey or a Linnstrument or a thumb piano or anything in between

The "future of jazz" could just as well be about traditional African instruments

But really the future of Jazz will be so abstract and forward thinking, the average person won't even be able to physically hear it.

dunno about jazz but jazz guys say it's like composing in realtime... I'm seriously hoping for a mind --> MIDI interface sometime in my lifetime so 'composing in realtime' will sound quaint, try like 5000x realtime doods... also IDM shows will be 'performed' instead of prerecorded + some noodling on a laptop

By the 70's we had Mahavishnu and Return to Forever and Herbie and Ornette's weirdo electric bands...

These days we have Mark Guiliana, Jason Lindner, Technoself, Kurt Rosenwinkel's weirdo DIY record Heartcore...I mean prolly half the current NY jazz scene is electronic

It can be done with an Arp Odyssey or a Linnstrument or a thumb piano or anything in between

The "future of jazz" could just as well be about traditional African instruments

I dont want to disagree, but I have to admit that if I think about it, electronic jazz has never really ever been done. in the 70's, its called electric era, not electronic era :)

For me, and maybe the definition differs for others, electronic as a basis is loops. drum, bass, harmonics, sounds that repeat themselves in repetitive patterns

electric jazz is not the same as what Id imagine could be electronic jazz. There has never been electronic jazz as far as im concern. What I mean by that is that even in electric era or even modern jazz, the drums, the bass, the piano/synth are all doing doing there own "thing". Theres is repetitive loops but its not comparable to electronic.

I imagine electronic jazz could be like the drums, bassline and piano/harmonics to be very repetitive: the repetitive loop. just like in eectronic and then you have the soloist, ect.

Well said. I was going to suggest the same about jazz being more of a mindset, or approach. For instance, Autechre's live material, while clearly electronic in instrumentation, displays many elements characteristic of jazz, such as improvisation/elaboration, and feedback between "instruments" and artists

Here's an interesting track I came across recently which may be of interesting discussion: it happens to sample jazz instrumentation, but even on a compositional level i would consider this a jazz piece http://firecrackerrecordings.bandcamp.com/track/entropic-trait

Also, posting in a jazz thread :emotawesomepm9:

The one thing I am so fucking tired of is that totally white bread vein of UNT pedagogy, also fuck the boring "complicated simultaneous bass and piano lines in additive time" shit. Don Ellis did it in the 70's with soul. I for one, also think the bad plus sucks.

personally I think jazz is dead in the sense that it has reached it's culmination and anything that is contributed further is basically recycling what has been done before. It's like impressionist painting, yeah, anyone can go out and make an impressionist painting whenever they want, but the age of the impressionists, when multiple artists who dedicated their lives to the craft and engaged in an artistic dialogue with one another, and made fresh new discoveries that paved an artistic direction and informed one another, that's over. Those days of jazz musicians when jazz was cutting edge, that will never happen again. Just be thankful it was mostly recorded, imho.

I disagree. I think jazz as a way of approaching making music has cemented itself as its own way of performing. It doesn't even need to be called that anymore. Music based on structural improvisation and active collaboration using spontaneity and intuition is very much alive and only will continue to grow.

What pains me is that jazz, worldwide, while being a syncretic back and forth of european diatonic pedagogy and africa originated pentatonic improvisational expression, held a wealth of deep musical theory that lent popular music, up to the 80's, harmonic depth. Then punk and grunge happened and any folk understanding of anything other than the simplest of melodic structure died. Even the majority of you watmmers and idm-folks with your fascination with texture and semi-rhythms mostly utterly fail to access the realms of harmonic complexity that centuries, millenia, of innovation (not just western either) have produced.

Jazz is alive because there are still people in love with understanding, in a holistic way, how sound, culture and performance relate. There can be acoustic jazz. There can be electronic jazz. It's not the medium, it's the intent, methinks.

What pains me is that jazz, worldwide, while being a syncretic back and forth of european diatonic pedagogy and africa originated pentatonic improvisational expression, held a wealth of deep musical theory that lent popular music, up to the 80's, harmonic depth. Then punk and grunge happened and any folk understanding of anything other than the simplest of melodic structure died. Even the majority of you watmmers and idm-folks with your fascination with texture and semi-rhythms mostly utterly fail to access the realms of harmonic complexity that centuries, millenia, of innovation (not just western either) have produced.

Wonderful to read. Great job, or should I say.....a meritorious endeavor!

Archived