IGNORED

"Why EDM died"

YangYing

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it just a renamed version of trance music anyway - The stuff that gets played in Tomorrowland etc. never really sounded any different to what Paul Van Dyk, System F. and Energy 52 were doing in the 90s (but with slightly different synth presets)

I never thought I would say this, but I would take the Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat 2/Spawn Era soundtrack of Electronic Music in the US any day over this shit.

edit*

I remember hearing this one and thinking "it doesn't even sound in time". Sure enough, years later, it is even worse than I once thought. I would still take it.

I really don't pay any attention to that kind of music so, pitchfork notwithstanding, I liked reading that, it was a good overview of some of the most embarrassing things to come out of it in the past few years that I hadn't heard about.  AVicii going country and that horrible Zac Ephron movie are my favorites I think.

Something else will happen soon.

Dubstep for all its sins did at least tread new musical ground for a while.

Entry level dance music will always exist in some form, and 10% of the punters and artists involved go on to enjoy and Crete better music. That's just how it is.

I'm willing to bet it's somehow related to waporwave, synthwave or 80s nostalgia taken to some stadium level monstrosity.

Isn't it just a renamed version of trance music anyway - The stuff that gets played in Tomorrowland etc. never really sounded any different to what Paul Van Dyk, System F. and Energy 52 were doing in the 90s (but with slightly different synth presets)

Indeed, back when I first got obsessed with electronic music it was 2k trance for me, and radio stations where always calling it "electronic dance music".. the sound was way different from what it is now tho..

Dubstep for all its sins did at least tread new musical ground for a while.

Entry level dance music will always exist in some form, and 10% of the punters and artists involved go on to enjoy and Crete better music. That's just how it is.

I'm hoping for the breakcore renessance mentioned here:

https://youtu.be/SJcAYtVCstw

edit: @25:23

I'm willing to bet it's somehow related to waporwave, synthwave or 80s nostalgia taken to some stadium level monstrosity.

That's already kind of happening, I've been hearing stuff coming out of the radios in shops lately that's basically vaporwave textures with top 40 pop style vocals/beats all summer.

My recent necromancy experiments tells me that next big thing is gonna be Sasquatchcore...people are gonna dress up like sasquatches that are dressed like 90's ravers...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/453891559/Sasquatch.jpg

28205-sasquatch.jpg

I was in a sasquatch themed space/krautrock band from around 2009 to 2013, I guess I missed the wave.

Archived