IGNORED

"Why EDM died"

YangYing

My recent necromancy experiments tells me that next big thing is gonna be Sasquatchcore...people are gonna dress up like sasquatches that are dressed like 90's ravers...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/453891559/Sasquatch.jpg

28205-sasquatch.jpg

I was in a sasquatch themed space/krautrock band from around 2009 to 2013, I guess I missed the wave.

Are you serious? That's awesome

Is there a vestigial MySpace page or Google+ profile of this band anywhere?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never thought I would say this, but I would take the Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat 2/Spawn Era soundtrack of Electronic Music in the US any day over this shit.

lol YAAASS, this was my SHIT back in the day

Something else will happen soon.

I'm willing to bet it's somehow related to waporwave, synthwave or 80s nostalgia taken to some stadium level monstrosity.

God that doesn't sound any better.

At any rate thank god EDM is being regarded as modern pop music and going out the door. Hopefully there will be a period of anarchy where weird shit starts surfacing again before the next craze.

My recent necromancy experiments tells me that next big thing is gonna be Sasquatchcore...people are gonna dress up like sasquatches that are dressed like 90's ravers...

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/453891559/Sasquatch.jpg

28205-sasquatch.jpg

I was in a sasquatch themed space/krautrock band from around 2009 to 2013, I guess I missed the wave.

Are you serious? That's awesome

Is there a vestigial MySpace page or Google+ profile of this band anywhere?

No, our main marketing gimmick was that our only web presence was a thread on a messageboard that doesn't exist any more.  It actually kind of worked, we played pretty much monthly for three or four years, usually to pretty big crowds and with pretty good bands for what we were doing, and put in literally no effort, we even borrowed as many of our instruments as we could from other bands at every show.  It was one of those joke side projects that overtook the non joke main projects for a while but there's very little record of it.  Ended up falling prey to the bane of the floating lineup, leaderless band, which is that it got overrun by people who were doing it for attention rather than fun, so it stopped being fun and we doing it, but it was a good run.

I'm willing to bet it's somehow related to waporwave, synthwave or 80s nostalgia taken to some stadium level monstrosity.

God that doesn't sound any better.

At any rate thank god EDM is being regarded as modern pop music and going out the door. Hopefully there will be a period of anarchy where weird shit starts surfacing again before the next craze.

It's been about 10 years since the last time what I liked and what was trendy coincided, so I'm keeping my finders crossed that "stuff that sounds like mid 1990s UFO documentaries and erotic thrillers on a TV across the room when you have a head cold" blows up so I can get a solo LP out on some small label or something before it gets too gross.

That's already kind of happening, I've been hearing stuff coming out of the radios in shops lately that's basically vaporwave textures with top 40 pop style vocals/beats all summer.

It's important to remember vaporwave was declared dead in 2013. 

The new Machinedrum seems like a perfect example of all this stuff merging together: sterile crisp trap beats, bubbly synths, MOR female vocalist tracks and recyled tumbr art + pink blue quasi-pastel colors everywhere with shout outs to retro aesthetics.

http://pitchfork.com/thepitch/1086-popping-the-drop-a-timeline-of-how-edms-bubble-burst/

edit: is it still frowned upon to post pitchfork links

It's Philip Sherburne, I've posted him a lot in the past the first time he wrote for pfork regularly.

Pitchfork has always been iffy but always had at least one or two good writers on staff, even now at their post-Conde-Nast-buyout worst.

Isn't it just a renamed version of trance music anyway - The stuff that gets played in Tomorrowland etc. never really sounded any different to what Paul Van Dyk, System F. and Energy 52 were doing in the 90s (but with slightly different synth presets)

Yeah that cracks me up, everytime I see DJ Tiesto as a headliner somewhere I'm reminded there's a core to EDM that is always the same. 

I think the solution for creating infinite massively accepted types of music is to not encapsulate them in bubbles. Bubbles tend to burst, people! That's just science.

Ive been a fan of dance music since the 90's, everything from classic trance and jungle, went onto the dubstep bandwagon for a while but the sound died fast. As for EDM it's more alive than ever on the radio with every other track having a popstar and a drop derivative of typical arena house. There's a lot more trap and tropical house, it seems. Rumours are that nu-bass or bass house will infect the mainstream shortly, which is pretty much rehashed UK garage. There's also a sub genre with jazzy chords and footworky beats that's blowing up on SC, I forgot what it's called. As an aside i think its astounding how Jungle is surprisingly healthy for being so long lived.

Ive been a fan of dance music since the 90's, everything from classic trance and jungle, went onto the dubstep bandwagon for a while but the sound died fast. As for EDM it's more alive than ever on the radio with every other track having a popstar and a drop derivative of typical arena house. There's a lot more trap and tropical house, it seems. Rumours are that nu-bass or bass house will infect the mainstream shortly, which is pretty much rehashed UK garage. There's also a sub genre with jazzy chords and footworky beats that's blowing up on SC, I forgot what it's called. As an aside i think its astounding how Jungle is surprisingly healthy for being so long lived.

well that's simply because jungle is [/i]THE SHIT

Archived