IGNORED

Blanck Mass - World Eater

WeAreOceans

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rhesus Negative is completely bonkers and makes the album, don't rrreeeaalllyyy like the rest that much. How one track can make an album amiright

Rhesus Negative is completely bonkers and makes the album, don't rrreeeaalllyyy like the rest that much. How one track can make an album amiright

Rhesus Negative is a beast, but on its own it wouldn't be as strong as it is if it wasn't between the introductory fuckery of Carnival of Terror and the mind-melting comedown of Please (which as a single failed to impress but in context is also amazing). Silent Treatment->Minnesota/Eas Fors/Naked->Hive Mind is another unfuckwithable sequence that is enhanced by listening to it front to back. Honestly The Rat is the weakest moment on the album, but I think that's only because it sounds like a leftover from Dumb Flesh - he's evolved past it at this point. And it's still a banger.

edit for derp.

I listened to this but it was not pleasurable to listen to. Sorry. What am I missing here folks? I have not listened to any Blanck Mass before - at first I felt guilty but then I was glad I had avoided them. 0 charm, just bog standard non-techno from the 2010s. It gets noisy, it gets quiet, it has samples, it has treated vocals, it has some beats with slow moving bass, but it doesn't do those things for any reason or emotional impact.

A checklist of electronic music tropes for a pitchfork review.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I listened to this but it was not pleasurable to listen to. Sorry. What am I missing here folks? I have not listened to any Blanck Mass before - at first I felt guilty but then I was glad I had avoided them. 0 charm, just bog standard non-techno from the 2010s. It gets noisy, it gets quiet, it has samples, it has treated vocals, it has some beats with slow moving bass, but it doesn't do those things for any reason or emotional impact.

A checklist of electronic music tropes for a pitchfork review.

You're out of your element, DLo.

I literally just grasped how he came up with the name, riffing off "black mass".

anyway yes, love this stuff. the combined effect of his beat production and melodic elements creates this lush emotive/futuristic environment I've always imagined in my mind.

• 2 months later...

This was one of Bleep's albums top ten of 2017. Taking a look at their list, it's wholly unremarkable. Some of their choices are completely dire. Most of them actually.

Archived