IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

Coming back to previous post, even NYT seems to rely on the "he said, she said" format which dominates the news media. News reduced to covering a proverbial game of football. Besides the false equivalency problem, it also restricts coverage to describing what's happening on the field. Much of it we can already see for ourselves, which is often the bullshit on the surface. Especially when it comes to politics. Politics in the media is often the bullshit some interest group wants us to see.

reason: journalists depend heavily on access. so selective/biased access results in selective biased news. and the "he said, she said" narrative is really a poor way to correct those biases. it simply doesn't create neutral stories if you present two opposing bullshit views. the result is twice as much bullshit. not less!

Edited by goDel

^ Agreed.

The he said/she said crap is rampant, but pretty much necessary for the reasons you give. There is still some solid reporting there and elsewhere, but the problem is that much of that 'good' in-depth reporting is reliant upon the other shit. There's very little objective truth anymore, you could say. I may be taking the point a bit far with that statement, and I mean it a bit jokingly, but it's what a lot of people believe these days.

That tweet storm was actually well put together. I still prefer blogs and long form writing. Just old I guess.

Anyhow that’s big if true. A lot of conjecture on Abramson’s part but he crafts a believable narrative. Will be very interesting to see what comes out of Barbapapalous.

And what comes out of washington. The White house in particular. It currently reminds me of the last days of Saddam Husseins regime. Sanders is the general giving an interview saying everything is allright, while you can hear the us tanks driving through bagdad in the background. The bullshit Sanders is forced to say, will become unmanageable sooner than later. This may sound unlikely, because there's been so much bullshit for so long, right?

I think the difference here will be that it's going to be the same story from here on out. Forcing the white house to dig a hole so deep, they'll forget whats up or down in no time. Before this, they used to have some kind of control over the news cycles. After a week, the stories had been forgotten because newer stories pushed aside the old ones.

The Mueller investigation will be a reverse of that template. Mueller will control the newscycles. Not Trump or the white house. And after each newscycle, the white house will likely dig itself deeper and deeper in their bullshit story. Without the ability to change the subject, their story will cave in on itself in dramatic ways. And it's going to be very public as well. Seeing that Trump likes to go for the attack in public. As we currently see with Sanders comments about these first indictments. I'm guessing Mueller might even try to get Trump to proverbally hang himself in public. Which is likely if they keep going like they currently are. (Read: anything besides "no comment" will create a deeper hole )

And what comes out of washington. The White house in particular. It currently reminds me of the last days of Saddam Husseins regime. Sanders is the general giving an interview saying everything is allright, while you can hear the us tanks driving through bagdad in the background. The bullshit Sanders is forced to say, will become unmanageable sooner than later. This may sound unlikely, because there's been so much bullshit for so long, right?

I think the difference here will be that it's going to be the same story from here on out. Forcing the white house to dig a hole so deep, they'll forget whats up or down in no time. Before this, they used to have some kind of control over the news cycles. After a week, the stories had been forgotten because newer stories pushed aside the old ones.

The Mueller investigation will be a reverse of that template. Mueller will control the newscycles. Not Trump or the white house. And after each newscycle, the white house will likely dig itself deeper and deeper in their bullshit story. Without the ability to change the subject, their story will cave in on itself in dramatic ways. And it's going to be very public as well. Seeing that Trump likes to go for the attack in public. As we currently see with Sanders comments about these first indictments. I'm guessing Mueller might even try to get Trump to proverbally hang himself in public. Which is likely if they keep going like they currently are. (Read: anything besides "no comment" will create a deeper hole )

Don't get your hopes up

edit: also note how the first guilty plead by papadopoulos is about lying to the fbi. and whenever trump opens his mouth he's basically lying and often contradicting himself (in one sentence...). which could probably also count for obstruction of justice. this is not about the size of a crowd anymore.

This actually reminds me a bit of Abramson because you keep building if on top of if on top of it on top of if and you're making fine points and being reasonable and logical at every step and it's interesting...but ultimately it's not far from reading tea leaves... forecasting the future based on the conditions now. Human affairs can't be predicted like the weather, though. Just a (honestly, not snippy or condescending with anything here) reminder.

(I do it too, all the time. We all do, especially hoping for a way out with Trump. But things just never seem to go the way they should with him, or with America in general.)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Edited by auxien

fair point.

make that tea leaves with a decent amount of logic though. i'm not some cat lady making weather forecasts based on the sound of her cats miawing. at least, i hope not!

again, we'll see how things will develop.

Yeah, I'm just sort of reminding myself outwardly that predicting human actions and outcomes, especially in regards to the Trump debacle we're in, is very prone to failure. There's simply too many things at play to understand and try and predict an outcome beyond just the most basic facts. It's fun to speculate and try of course, but I know I got a big head early on about no way would Trump get the R nomination, no way will he stay the nominee after *insert offensive words and actions here*, no way will he actually be elected, no way will he last 6 months, and yet we're still here. I'm not deeply in that world like Abramson, nor am I even as well-read as many here on WATMM, I'm just thinking out loud, basically, and reminding myself how nothing has gone according to plan or schedule...I don't think even Trump/Trump's team's own schedule. I still think they fumbled the ball into the end zone, and it's very obvious that many around him are just bewildered by this whole thing.

Honestly, I think the best chance of Trump actually going away is a sudden heart attack or stroke. Otherwise we're probably stuck with him til his term runs out. That's what I think today, at least.  :cat:

Honestly, I think the best chance of Trump actually going away is a sudden heart attack or stroke.

And not even a steady diet of KFC and NYC pizza eaten with a fork has damaged his mighty circulatory system yet.

But it gave him a garbage dump ass.

Honestly, I think the best chance of Trump actually going away is a sudden heart attack or stroke.

And not even a steady diet of KFC and NYC pizza eaten with a fork has damaged his mighty circulatory system yet.
But it gave him a garbage dump ass.
Our only hope is his heart migrating to his ass.

Trump is the Keith Richards of shitty presidents

even knowing that trump somehow gets away with murder and pee every day, this investigation has me popcorn giffing every morning. it's been the first thing i do for months now. google "trump russia news" and enjoy the circus while i have a shit.

sure seems like Mueller is going to be a pivotal figure in tomorrow's history books. loving every minute of this greasy, squirmy horror show. from my vantage point, this has 100% been a top tier scandal, and without thousands of deaths. it's just trump & co screwing themselves on a daily basis. no wars, bombs or heavy-handed oppression necessary. (yet.)

Honestly, I think the best chance of Trump actually going away is a sudden heart attack or stroke. Otherwise we're probably stuck with him til his term runs out. That's what I think today, at least.  :cat:

except now his allies are allegedly fearing he will be impeached after mueller secured indictments from paul manafort and rick gates. next? he's going after jared kushner- so now trump is accusing kushner for this whole investigation especially since he advised for james comey to be fired. 

also, trump's approval rating is as low as it can get.

the one thing that's in trump's favor is his inability to give a shit- so regardless of how many people fall out of favor with him or what kind of investigation is being conducted against his family- he's still ranting on twitter

btw: i'd love to see trump's reaction to this video

I'm not surprised his approval rating is tanking even more, but IIRC the lowest I've seen it for any president was towards the end of the GWB administration in late 2008, when Dubya's approval rating was as low as 15 percent.

Still, there's something to be said for a president's approval rating to be down in the 30s for as early in his term as it is, not even having completed a full year yet.