IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

And, in the US, the idea that our entire future experience of the internet will come down to how FIVE people vote on keeping or repealing NN is beyond frustrating.

Though you're technically correct, I think the issues of money and lobbying are more at play than the votes of any few people. I do agree that it's frustrating seeing it all come down to that of course, but the millions/billions of dollars spent GETTING it to that point is very much a bigger issue, imo... though I do agree with you generally and in the powerless feeling when regarding a huge democracy. The flip side is that it can be used for good (marriage equality just a couple years ago being a nationwide right now, etc.)

And, in the US, the idea that our entire future experience of the internet will come down to how FIVE people vote on keeping or repealing NN is beyond frustrating.

Though you're technically correct, I think the issues of money and lobbying are more at play than the votes of any few people. I do agree that it's frustrating seeing it all come down to that of course, but the millions/billions of dollars spent GETTING it to that point is very much a bigger issue, imo... though I do agree with you generally and in the powerless feeling when regarding a huge democracy. The flip side is that it can be used for good (marriage equality just a couple years ago being a nationwide right now, etc.)

Yeah, it's definitely a symptom and not a root cause, I agree. 

And living in the south, I can only imagine how backwards we would be if the northern states didn't drag us kicking and screaming into the modern world.

i think you exaggerate the negative impact of instability and chaos, as those are, to a certain degree, inherent to a democracy. whether or not the world is "ready" for it is highly arbitrary, i'd argue. regardless of this basic power politics you mention. (i'd argue were currently more past basic power politics than any other time in history, and it will even still be a part of a global democracy. that's just human nature). the fact there's talk about a "vacuum" of power could be argued to be a sign of "going past basic power politics". whatever that means. but i don't see that as a prerequisite. there's always going to be some bullies trying the power play stuff. that's fine as long as they aren't in a dominant position. a vacuum implies they aren't.

in short: a bit of instability, chaos and a power vacuum are good signs, i'd argue. and as long as conflicts get resolved through diplomacy, this "global democracy" functions fine. it's likely a more chaotic version of democracy most people would like. but that's the only way it's going to work, i'm afraid. we just can't have all the stability we'd like as there are way too many conflicting interests.

instability...basically something on the news for many....death and chaos for many more

exactly. this is a completely sheltered way of thinking about how international power works, without accounting for potential human costs.

His latest tweet about Time Magazine's person of the year, fucking hell. Is there a way to introduce a system where only experts can vote on who runs the country without fascism being involved?

Maybe Watson will be in charge of the world one day, and govern all with knowledge, reason, and efficiency. Some humans in positions of power are just too immature to rule over the masses, of which there are at least an obvious two.

But then again, no grandiose idea comes without risk when executed.

that bottomless pit of U.S soul....he's a fucking disgrace to humanity 

if i were one of those code talkers i would have taken my walking stick and bludgeoned the choad into oblivion with it

I'd argue he's a senile old man who just happens to be elected president. That last bit is a f-ing disgrace. The first bit not so much, I'm afraid. Being a senile old fart is part of humanity and possibly a personal future as well. Again, I'm afraid. ..

Guy seems to have the mental capacity* of a six year old.

Edit: maturity, I doubt he has the capacity.

Edited by Gocab