IGNORED

What if I told You

diatoms

This thread used to be about some batshit conspiracy theory concerning parallel universes clashing in order to excuse people's poor memory/observation skills

Who remember?

worth pointing out that those wild hippies don't see a future in solar power providing a large % of global power any time soon, from another article on their site:

Reliable and efficient storage is the missing link for renewables, such as wind and solar, that can only supply power intermittently. But that has not happened and does not appear imminent. My McKinsey colleagues, for example, have been tracking storage for years, and the McKinsey Global Institute sees a promising future. But that future is not nigh. In 2015, a record 221 megawatts of storage capacity was installed in the United States, more than three times as much as in 2014 (65 megawatts), which was itself a big jump over the previous years. But more than 160 megawatts of the 2015 total was deployed by a single regional transmission organization, the PJM Interconnection market. And 221 megawatts is not much in the context of the total US generation capacity of more than a million megawatts

http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/oil-and-gas/our-insights/five-things-bill-gates-gets-right-on-energy

It's always possible to find localised success stories when it comes to renewables, like highlighted in your first article, and there's room for growth in that area still. The problem comes when you try and ramp things up to global scale. Both for building batteries, solar cells, and wind turbines, this would call for a ridiculous increase in the amount of mining for all the elements required in construction, with rather devastating environmental consequences, and no guarantee you'd even be able to meet demand, or keep prices low enough for it to be feasible. The batteries don't even last very long, so factoring in the constant need for replacement and the resources required shoot up even more. All that could be mitigated by mining asteroids or something, but that's obviously some way off.

This thread used to be about some batshit conspiracy theory concerning parallel universes clashing in order to excuse people's poor memory/observation skills

Who remember?

I member!~

worth pointing out that those wild hippies don't see a future in solar power providing a large % of global power any time soon, from another article on their site:

Reliable and efficient storage is the missing link for renewables, such as wind and solar, that can only supply power intermittently. But that has not happened and does not appear imminent. My McKinsey colleagues, for example, have been tracking storage for years, and the McKinsey Global Institute sees a promising future. But that future is not nigh. In 2015, a record 221 megawatts of storage capacity was installed in the United States, more than three times as much as in 2014 (65 megawatts), which was itself a big jump over the previous years. But more than 160 megawatts of the 2015 total was deployed by a single regional transmission organization, the PJM Interconnection market. And 221 megawatts is not much in the context of the total US generation capacity of more than a million megawatts

http://www.mckinsey.com/industries/oil-and-gas/our-insights/five-things-bill-gates-gets-right-on-energy

It's always possible to find localised success stories when it comes to renewables, like highlighted in your first article, and there's room for growth in that area still. The problem comes when you try and ramp things up to global scale. Both for building batteries, solar cells, and wind turbines, this would call for a ridiculous increase in the amount of mining for all the elements required in construction, with rather devastating environmental consequences, and no guarantee you'd even be able to meet demand, or keep prices low enough for it to be feasible. The batteries don't even last very long, so factoring in the constant need for replacement and the resources required shoot up even more. All that could be mitigated by mining asteroids or something, but that's obviously some way off.

If the growth in storage capacity happens like all other technologies that take advantage of efficiencies of scale, the change will happen sooner rather than later. The reason I posted that link from McKinsey is that it is very surprising for them to actually post something like that on their site - they are the epitome of conservatives when it comes to energy policy.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the idea of nuclear being a part of our energy solution, but there is nothing that says we can't do both at once. We should be looking at increasing our ability to use renewables as much as possible.

When is Ireland going to release its Drug Policy 2020? Long past due.

Come on Ireland and World! Make Cannabis available as Medicine & Legal :)

From http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/06/28/united-nations-drug-office-cannabis-consumption/82564/

'UN Drug Office can’t find a single cannabis drug death, despite it being most widely-consumed drug on the planet. Cannabis is also the world's most widely cultivated drug, the most confiscated and the most likely to land a user in treatment'

"The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) has released its 2017 World Drug Report, covering 2015 statistics from around the world. The report finds that cannabis is the most consumed, most widely cultivated and most confiscated drug the office tracks.

Despite leading in all of these categories, UNODC reported zero fatal marijuana overdoses in 2015, unchanged from 2014."

post-17854-0-92514500-1499076498_thumb.jpg

Love & Light

Reliable and efficient storage is the missing link for renewables, such as wind and solar, that can only supply power intermittently. But that has not happened and does not appear imminent. My McKinsey colleagues, for example, have been tracking storage for years, and the McKinsey Global Institute sees a promising future. But that future is not nigh. In 2015, a record 221 megawatts of storage capacity was installed in the United States, more than three times as much as in 2014 (65 megawatts), which was itself a big jump over the previous years. But more than 160 megawatts of the 2015 total was deployed by a single regional transmission organization, the PJM Interconnection market. And 221 megawatts is not much in the context of the total US generation capacity of more than a million megawatts

If the growth in storage capacity happens like all other technologies that take advantage of efficiencies of scale, the change will happen sooner rather than later. The reason I posted that link from McKinsey is that it is very surprising for them to actually post something like that on their site - they are the epitome of conservatives when it comes to energy policy.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on the idea of nuclear being a part of our energy solution, but there is nothing that says we can't do both at once. We should be looking at increasing our ability to use renewables as much as possible.

Did you not read my earlier post, where I advocated doing both at once? All I'm saying is that it's not going to be enough on it's own, certainly not in the short-medium term, and not in the long term without ridiculous levels of capital investment (and even then probably not, and by then it would likely be too late anyway). Countries like Germany are going about it the wrong way, and it's not going to end well.

I went up to Dublin yesterday and bought some HAAS avocados from the Organic shop :)

post-17854-0-50164300-1499780930_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-01230700-1499780959_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-56812300-1499780983_thumb.jpg

Have you asked your grocer about HAAS?

Love & Light

My grocer Vince is an ex-con, I think if I asked him for HAAS advocados he might just rip my windpipe out and play a tune on it

You can ask him if you like

Love & Light

Do you guys remember when each colour of froot loop tasted different? And now they all taste identical; they made them all taste the same but they're coloured differently to cut costs?

I remember

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Maybe it's the nitrous talking, but right now I can't handle the fact that the profile info next to diatoms' posts lists him as having 200-something posts and 1 topics.  Shouldn't it be 1 topic?  I seem to remember it being 1 topic but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone here ever shop at a Hot Topic?  I haven't and would love to know what it's like.

L&L