IGNORED

What if I told You

diatoms

Always IV on the Clock

not IIII

Anyone remember that as well?

Love & Light

Your memory is wrong.

You expect it to be IV, because that's how we learned Roman numerals in modern times.

As you can see from a google search, this question has been asked many times.

Going back to 1986 on this bad boy...

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/438/why-do-clocks-with-roman-numerals-use-iiii-instead-of-iv

skull used to have soft spots on top, who member

the fundamental nature of reality is changing our clock numbers and enholing our skulls

light & love (not love & light)

i renmber Becky from Roseanne being a totally different girl than this episode I'm watching

do u mean, less hot than she is now?

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

I know some of you remember

There was never a space between the V & W on the VW symbol

But there is now

It's always been there

No way, Haha

post-17854-0-82671400-1498640705_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-20659600-1498640716_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-45786900-1498640732_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-54653800-1498640747_thumb.pngpost-17854-0-76692500-1498640768_thumb.jpg

Love & Light

Residue on all the St Stephen's Green Park hand drawn maps in Dublin city centre

Why would the artist get it wrong on a map seen by thousands each day

How could this be approved by The Office of Public Works to go on display considering the ties of Ireland and UK

All the other flags are correct except

Symmetrical Union Jack

post-17854-0-73412400-1498652530_thumb.jpg

post-17854-0-11589300-1498652201_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-93103600-1498652293_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-03871800-1498652360_thumb.jpgpost-17854-0-10423600-1498652470_thumb.jpg

Here are some changes that people familiar with Dublin and Ireland would know

St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre is now Stephen's Green Shopping Centre

what, not a St anymore?

Easons is now Eason, no s

I've talked to someone at every single Easons all over the country, also people on the street in Dublin and all but one remember it being spelled Easons

They remember like I do, Easons on the outside of the shop

But it never existed so it was never on the outside of the building. All these people are shocked that work there that have known and seen Easons growing up in Ireland.

But Easons Twitter, Facebook and Website continue to spell Easons with an s, and they list Easons of Nassau St. on their website

I'd be interested in what you remember about these changes if you live or have lived in Ireland and about the change on all the clocks from IV to IIII

General Banter

Discuss anything and everything here

Love & Light

they're not changes, it was always Eason on the shop (was Eason & Son originally), everyone just called it Eason's. Stephen's Green Shopping Centre was always called that too afaik. Basically the problem here seems to be that you have a bad memory.

Every Irish person that I've talked to except one remembers Easons, including everyone at all the Easons shops in Ireland.

My Best friend and everyone I've talked to on the street remembers Easons and St Stephen's Green Shopping Centre. That's over 100 Irish from everywhere in the country and I'm going to ask more on the street. You should ask your family how they remember it.

What about the clocks in Dublin that changed from IV to IIII and the symmetrical union jack on St Stephen's Green Park map?

Thanks for discussing this by the way :)

Love & Light

They don't remember it that way, they just called it Easons, like everyone else, and assumed it was written that way on the front, but it wasn't. There was never a memory created in their brains from them looking at sign that never existed.

I had literally no idea about the IIII vs IV thing at all, seems like there are two styles of clock face, which is a mildly interesting factoid I guess. I learnt that IV was the roman numeral in school, like everyone else, so would have just assumed that's what was on the clock face, like everyone else.

And what about the symmetrical union jack? Thousands of people don't see it every day, I can guarantee you that virtually nobody has ever noticed it at all, I certainly never did, and even if they did at least 99% of them wouldn't think anything of it, and forget it immediately, because who gives a shit?

Do the people on the street you're talking to start giving you funny looks and slowly start walking backwards away from you?

Not at all, people are shocked that it's not the same and then they're interested in why it's different. Because they trust their memories. We then talk. Ireland is awesome :)

Love & Light