IGNORED

making funny noises when you're alone (with your mouth or other body parts)

dingformung

do you often make funny noises when you're alone (with your mouth or other body parts)? I sometimes do, especially while cooking and listening to music I'd make "dawooooo, dawooooo" or "brrrreeeeeee, brrrrreeeeeee". I feel a little weird while doing it but on the other hand I'm a little bit proud of it as I see it as an essential part of keep going and not giving a shit and I'm always impressed when people don't give that much of a shit and enjoy life

Yes, all the time. Ususally I just quietly beatbox or fingerdrum on stuff. Sometime I hum melodies. Sometimes people walk in on me doing these things and it's awkward because by beats and melodies are weird. 

Beatbox urrday~

But also, if it weren't for these sounds in my head, I don't think I'd be able to make music as fluidly. I think part of being a musician is just not filtering the sounds of our minds. Sometimes I read shit by noobz like, "How do I write music?", and it's like, "If you don't hear random songs on a regular basis, I dunno what to tell you..."

I bust explicit raps whilst stuck in rush hour traffic & make faces for no reason.

Finger drum constantly (sometimes in conjunction with feet)

When thinking back about embarassing/shitty things I have done in my life, I'll make strange mentally challenged sounds. Whooaaps & bloaps. Really weird...

Beatbox urrday~

But also, if it weren't for these sounds in my head, I don't think I'd be able to make music as fluidly. I think part of being a musician is just not filtering the sounds of our minds. Sometimes I read shit by noobz like, "How do I write music?", and it's like, "If you don't hear random songs on a regular basis, I dunno what to tell you..."

I think the same thing about people that ask that. I knew the voices and sounds in my head weren't all bad. 

when i was a projectionist at a theatre i would sing, make noises and stuff. i would also pretend to be other people (customers and coworkers mostly). it was always really startling whenever i'd happen upon someone else in the booth it was a 16 screen and there was hardly ever a reason for anyone to be in there. i'm sure some of the other managers thought i was as crazy as i thought the other projectionist was. great job for doing schoolwork and sleeping though

yep. hoo-hahs and cackling and gibbering, doing weird shit with my hands, double foot jiggle like I'm a grindcore drummer or something.

Robert Ashely's Automatic Writing is a composition about this phenomena

"Automatic Writing" is a piece that took five years to complete and was released by Lovely Music Ltd. in 1979. Ashley used his own involuntary speech that results from his mild form of Tourette's Syndrome as one of the voices in the music. This was obviously considered a very different way of composing and producing music. Ashley stated that he wondered since Tourette's Syndrome had to do with "sound-making and because the manifestation of the syndrome seemed so much like a primitive form of composing whether the syndrome was connected in some way to his obvious tendencies as a composer".

Ashley was intrigued by his involuntary speech, and the idea of composing music that was unconscious. Seeing that the speech that resulted from having Tourette's could not be controlled, it was a different aspect from producing music that is deliberate and conscious, and music that is performed is considered "doubly deliberate" according to Ashley. Although there seemed to be a connection between the involuntary speech, and music, the connection was different due to it being unconscious versus conscious.

Ashley's first attempts at recording his involuntary speech were not successful, because he found that he ended up performing the speech instead of it being natural and unconscious. "The performances were largely imitations of involuntary speech with only a few moments here and there of loss control". However, he was later able to set up a recording studio at Mills College one summer when the campus was mostly deserted, and record 48 minutes of involuntary speech. This was the first of four "characters" that Ashley had envisioned of telling a story in what he viewed as an opera. The other three characters were a French voice translation of the speech, Moog synthesizer articulations, and background organ harmonies. "The piece was Ashley's first extended attempt to find a new form of musical storytelling using the English language. It was opera in the Robert Ashley way"

Nurse With Wound then did a 'remake' of the piece with A Missing Sense, also worth checking out

once, during the height of the mcconaissance, i was stuck in traffic and began doing the "alright alright alright" impression, over and over, gradually lowering in tone until i was making a noise through my essentially closed mouth that resembled more of a vibration, something like "bbbbbbbbbbfffffffffffrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhffffffffffff". i did this until i couldn't breathe.

Archived