IGNORED

UK General Erextion

Soloman Tump

first declaration doesn't look good for Labour, they took the seat in Newcastle, with a 10% vote increase, but the exit poll data was predicting a 20% increase (and a conservative decrease, instead the tories increased their votes as well). could be an outlier, or it could mean the exit poll data is dodgy.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pleased with the UKIP wipeout, but how did that happen? I thought they were pretty popular? Surely of all the parties who would be negotiating Brexit, a party called UK Independence Party would be most apt?

Also, I don't think any coalition is possible this time around. The most likely one is SNP + Labour, but their numbers won't be enough to beat the Tories. Brexit will be interesting to negotiate with no clear party in control of parliament.

The only possible formal coalition at this point seems to be Conservatives + Unionists (still too early to rule out a Conservative majority though). Lib Dems have said they won't form a coalition with anyone, but could agree to support a minority government from the opposition (that would be the best scenario for me, would hopefully prevent some of Labour's dumber policies - though any kind of minority government might be a mess in terms of brexit negotiations).

UKIP seem to have collapsed because they achieved what they came into existence for, and also everyone in the party is a fucking mong, so without a single issue to rally around they're always going to struggle.

It looks like London is getting that exit poll style swing to Labour, but the further north you go the better the Conservatives are doing (though not everywhere). SNP are losing seats to both Labour and Conservatives, but that was always going to happen, no way they could have reproduced their 95% seat return from last time, some surprise the Tories are doing so well though, rather than just Labour winning back most of the seats (though it's still early). Looking increasingly likely there won't be a majority.

The only possible formal coalition at this point seems to be Conservatives + Unionists (still too early to rule out a Conservative majority though). Lib Dems have said they won't form a coalition with anyone, but could agree to support a minority government from the opposition (that would be the best scenario for me, would hopefully prevent some of Labour's dumber policies - though any kind of minority government might be a mess in terms of brexit negotiations).

Doesnt seem too likely at this point but if Labour somehow coalition themselves into power I'd still expect Corbyn to get deposed by blairites eventually, perhaps once brexit negotiaions inevitably go to shit. So we'd be spared his well meaning but nuttier ideas

A Lab+SNP coalition would be such a fantastic shitshow, hope it happens. It'd at least be nore entertaining than Strong and Stable

Well looks like this snap election was a bad gamble for May. This is the same thing as Cameron's Folly (the brexit referendum). A ploy meant to shore up support that blew up in the PM's face. 

On to the coalitions!

BBC calling it for the hung parliament. Only question to answer now is whether there'll be a deal with the UUP, hopefully not (though at least they'd pressure brexit negotiations to retain a soft border, which would probably necessitate a Customs Union, something May was against before). They mightn't need it though, might still have more seats than the other three parties together to form a minority government.

Lib Dems seem to have won North East Fife by a single vote!

After a number of recounts, it's gone to the SNP by 2!

The amount of Tory seats in Scotland will probably end up saving Theresa May (or at least the Tory's).

Sturgeon must be fucking livid - and hopefully now she will stop banging on about Indyref2

The amount of Tory seats in Scotland will probably end up saving Theresa May (or at least the Tory's).

Sturgeon must be fucking livid - and hopefully now she will stop banging on about Indyref2

They still got 60% of the Scottish MPs, not sure what that is in terms of overall vote %, but it's still a relatively strong mandate. I think they'll stick to their election pledge, if the brexit negotiation is shitty for Scotland they'll still be calling for another referendum.

lol what a palaver. we need to cancel brexit asap, apologise profusely to the rest of europe then sit at the back being well behaved and quiet for a good few years.

Voter turnout among 18-24 yo was 72%, which is probably why Labour did so well. Hopefully they will keep turning up when there is another vote, when the inevitable new election is up after the May led coalition has a meltdown.

how did the Scots fuck up like that, though...

They'll leave the Union soon anyways and become independent.

gj brits. i'm pleasantly surprised by the outcome considering i was expecting a tory majority and a bloodbath for labour. i hope this is an indication that the influence of the tabloid press is starting to wane. the attempts to assassinate corbyn's character at every possible turn were pretty ferocious. 

I actually had a hard time believing this was real, and my first exposure was staring at the actual paper in a shop

dbvv3-7xcaewpi4.jpg

I doubt it, i imagine the increased tory vote is people saying no to a second referendum

I doubt it, i imagine the increased tory vote is people saying no to a second referendum

Archived