IGNORED

Don't upgrade to High Sierra (OSX)

cooliofranco

Seriously though, the best upgrade I ever did to a computer was to permanently disconnect it from every kind of network, wipe the hard drive, put a fresh install of the final stable release of Windows 7 on it, and then never, ever touch the drivers or OS again.  Has been working almost flawlessly for 5 years without a single crash.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i wish i had seen this thread earlier. basically i upgraded (or tried to upgrade) to high sierra and my mac hdd got corrupted. according to a tech, high sierra isn't designed for older macbooks but for newer ones that don't have moving parts- so even if the upgrade worked, it would have been a real drain on the system

now i'm having to replace the HDD, add a new battery and more ram. basically, a new computer with the old school macbook shell (back when they still had dvd+rw/cd drives)

Why not downgrade?

i wish i had seen this thread earlier. basically i upgraded (or tried to upgrade) to high sierra and my mac hdd got corrupted. according to a tech, high sierra isn't designed for older macbooks but for newer ones that don't have moving parts- so even if the upgrade worked, it would have been a real drain on the system

now i'm having to replace the HDD, add a new battery and more ram. basically, a new computer with the old school macbook shell (back when they still had dvd+rw/cd drives)

Isn't this Apple's M.O., force updates on everyone that are optimized for only the newest hardware so everyone running older machines is like, "Oh shit, my laptop / phone / tablet is running so slowly, time to buy another one, I guess."

Why would you have to replace the battery and add RAM? Good idea if you want the laptop to last, but not necessary for the software. High Sierra is just a polished version of Sierra, there aren't any major changes besides the APFS file system. The new filesystem optimizes SSDs but you can still upgrade if you don't format your existing HDD to APFS. I'd recommend upgrading to an SSD anyway because it's the most effective way of improving performance all around. 

Isn't this Apple's M.O., force updates on everyone that are optimized for only the newest hardware so everyone running older machines is like, "Oh shit, my laptop / phone / tablet is running so slowly, time to buy another one, I guess."

The updates aren't forced, and they're obviously going to optimize the software for the newest hardware. The planned obsolescence conspiracy is pretty stupid. Unlike a lot of Android manufacturers that only give software updates for a year or two Apple supports devices for 5+ years. The only issue you really run into when running old software, besides security issues, is not being able to use the latest versions of apps that utilize newer APIs, but you can still install the latest version available to your firmware. 

iOS 11 is quite fucked up tbh. Regret having installed on the iPad Air 2. I can take animation slowdowns, business as usual, but getting lots of audio dropouts/glitches and it drives me nuts. Ie something is playing audio, the music app or a podcast App, and then you switch apps or open a new safari tab or something and it glitches. This is new, even my super slow iPhone 4S w iOS 9 never has Audio dropouts.

yea I did, this does help for a day or 2, but as soon as everything is set up again (iCloud, photos, Apple Music, whatever else) and I use a few apps it’s back to where it was. It feels like this has to do with RAM filling up & iOS purging apps... this takes time (disk writes), and somehow they seem to have lowered the priority of the audio runtime so these things can glitch it. Probably not an issue with newer devices (more cores/ram, faster disk) , sigh...

by the way.

DO NOT UPGRADE TO HIGH SIERRA

it is not a joke, I’ve just tried it. At the login screen, enter ‚root‘ as username, hit enter.....

:cisfor:

fwiw i've had zero issues with high sierra running on a 2015 macbook pro but maybe it's still new enough not to be hindered. ios on my iphone se on the other hand...

oh no i just ordered a new SE to replace my 6

I don't think it's a common issue, but the UI in Live is laggy for me in High Sierra. Even in an empty set, turning a knob makes everything like 1 fps lol. Maybe it has something to do with my relatively old Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. Logic and everything else are running better than ever though.

this did turn out to be a problem specific to my gpu model, and ableton fixed it in the latest beta :D

• 2 weeks later...

If you’ve had the misfortune of installing High Sierra, for the love of god, do not update to the latest version.  Apple has fucked my Mac harder than I even knew was possible.

After installing the latest update, I was unable to boot the OS. After diagnosing the issue, I was shocked to discover what was wrong with it. High Sierra deleted the system folder. Let me repeat that. High Sierra deleted my fucking system folder. I have no idea how that’s even fucking possible.

I’m really pissed at this point now that I know that I have to reinstall the entire operating system, so I try to boot into system recovery in order to do it. Well, I bought this Mac from my cousin and apparently he or someone else set a firmware password so it’s impossible to get into recovery mode without it. Okay, I’m even more pissed off now but I might be able to fix it by booting to the terminal and running a bash script to try and decrypt the password. Welp, I need the firmware password in order to boot from the terminal. Well shit, I can’t recover the system and I can’t recover the password. I guess I’ll have to have to reinstall macOS from a bootable USB. Guess what. You can’t get to the boot menu without the fucking firmware password.

So the only way I’ll be able to fix this is to go to an Apple Store and see if they can reset the firmware password, which they probably won’t do since I don’t have a receipt for this computer because I bought it second hand. That leaves me with only one option; buy a new hard drive.

Thank you, Apple. Thank you for turning my laptop into a fucking paper weight.

itjustworks.png

Clarktrent - apparently (though an old article so may not apply especially for a lappy) you can trick it to reset the password by unplugging and replugging in a ram stick. More details here (press the view solution button) : https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/78792/How+do+I+reset+the+firmware+password+on+my+MacBook+Pro

Archived