IGNORED

A guide to Autechre by Deep Cuts

wredny

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very cool

Yeah, saw it, not yet listened. TBH, my first thought was "how does this boy even" - but erm well, uncool thought of an aging veteran maybe. ;-)

But if it's true - if he didn't mention Surripere when talking about Draft - well, that's a major #fail. Is it possible he is just a quote replication machine? Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, I am the only legit holder ov the fanboi crown you unworthy baby will not steal it from me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111111

i struggle with the idea of a guide to music that doesn't include clips of the music, which surely should be possible copyright-wise due to it being critique of sorts - managing 50 minutes of it is bizarre, and probably only suitable to those who are already converted.

i would also struggle to describe autechre beyond 'tri repetae' as much more than something you'll have to listen to to get the sense of what's going on - it all (from then on) seems a reaction to the aspect of attempts to criminalise people dancing to repetitive beats which came about in the mid 90's. it's as though Ae will one day release software that will allow you to unjumble their output so it makes more direct sense.

unjumble their output so it makes more direct sense.

tenor.gif

... i've been listening to autechre since the release of 'amber'. i can understand why it's not usually as clearly structured as it once was, and i happen to think it's something of an inside joke on their part. i'm not upset or too challenged by that - just find it has a possibility to be very british humour that altered their direction so clearly and quickly, considering the fuss about repetitive beats that occurred around the same time.

Fair enough. My first was Draft so I'm firmly in new AE camp. I find Amber their most underwhelming album.

I just feel the statement about wanting their current output 'unjumbled' makes as much sense as wishing the crossword in the daily paper was printed with the answers already filled in. Sussing out what's going on in a track is half the fun.

Fair enough. My first was Draft so I'm firmly in new AE camp. I find Amber their most underwhelming album.

I just feel the statement about wanting their current output 'unjumbled' makes as much sense as wishing the crossword in the daily paper was printed with the answers already filled in. Sussing out what's going on in a track is half the fun.

i don't want it unjumbled, i am suggesting it might be abstracted in a manner which is processable, to make it a challenge that has taken it beyond what a human could achieve in doing so, or in reversing doing so. as a joke, a dry joke at that, to make a pointed comment towards this issue of legislating towards banning groups gathering and listening to repetitive beats.

see sections 63-67 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Justice_and_Public_Order_Act_1994

also, ANTI : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_EP which i had a vague idea is a protest against it all

Yeah. But nah.

But yeah. I mean flutter as an exercise may have opened something up for them, who knows? I think they just make the music they like, they said stuff about their love of wildstyle graf, like it's words but it's so super abstracted it's hard to make out. And they still did (and do) straight forward nodders like say, Arch Carrier after Anti EP.

Also it's interesting cos flutter is probably one of the prettiest, most accessible tunes in their discography imo. If you didn't know the beat doesn't repeat you wouldn't even think about it.

I am a fanboy since their appearance on Ai, and Incunabula changed everything. And I love them even more today. NTS seems remarkable. I'll talk about them even when I'm 90. And nobody cares.

i struggle with the idea of a guide to music that doesn't include clips of the music, which surely should be possible copyright-wise due to it being critique of sorts - managing 50 minutes of it is bizarre, and probably only suitable to those who are already converted.

It's virtually impossible to use even a snippet in many cases without getting a copyright strike, depends of course on the publisher. 3 strikes even for non-monetized content and you get your channel suspended. That's why guys like this and Fantano don't even bother risking it with snippets of artists who would probably clear it.

I'm very impressed by the good reception this video is getting on WATMM - def need to check it out now.

I may be in the minority on this one but their output from 1999 to 2005 is my least favorite even though there are some gems in there. From Lego Feet to LP5, and Quaristice to present is pretty dope though. I think it’s about rediscovering lushness from their earlier years.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Chabraendeky said:

Wonky Angle started an Ae discography series just yet. He covered Incunabula and Amber now, and elseq and NTS Sessions earlier.

I like the wonky angle. He doesn't go in depth or anything unlike deep cuts but I appreciate his reviews

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

I like the wonky angle. He doesn't go in depth or anything unlike deep cuts but I appreciate his reviews

Yes. And he's kinda honest but fair, even when a certain music is not his cup of tea.

• 3 months later...

Just watched this for the second time cause why not. In contrast to most YouTubers, he just doesn't seem like an absolute cunt. In fact, he doesn't seem like a cunt at all. The guides to RDJ, and Björk are also great, as are his "5 albums to get you into ..." series and just about everything else. (The "Ambient and Drone Starterpack" feat. Faptano was hilarious.) He's always extremely well-prepared, eloquent, self-ironic, never cringey, and he makes one of the hardest things (talking about music) seem effortless. What a man. Damn, I think I'm actually in love with this guy.

All in all, my favorite music channel on the internet, thanks for asking.

And now I'm gonna watch his "History of Warp Records", cause I haven't yet.

Edit: Autechre mention in the first minute. This is my dude.

Yess love deep cuts

On 1/18/2020 at 8:09 AM, Chabraendeky said:

Wonky Angle started an Ae discography series just yet. He covered Incunabula and Amber now, and elseq and NTS Sessions earlier.

Love that he enjoyed Untilted so much, imo it's damn underappreciated

Archived