IGNORED

Is 90s/golden age hip hop the new "dad rock"?

TubularCorporation

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there are rappers now that claim to have never heard a song by Big or Pac. Even though that has to be complete bullshit the dismissal of 90's rap definitely means that Dad Rap™ is in the house.

WOOP WOOP

Good call. 

Also is dad rock every going to become grandpa rock? Or is it timeless in the sense that it will perpetually be a fact that as soon as you bear a child you will sit through the entirety of Dire Straights' "Sultan of Swing" if you hear it on the radio.

the current mainstream hiphop scene can't hold a candle to beat production from the 80s or 90s, dad rock or no. the glut of derivative trappy boomy 808 shit needs to end soon.

In more seriousness though, modern trap can't hold a candle to early '90s ATCQ, Public Enemy, Snoop Dog, Warren G, etc. Then things started getting more experimental with Dr. Octagon and DJ Shadow in '96, right before MTV started going to shit.

I’m sure it is in a way. But a lot of new hip hop is so disposable and if you want actual good beats and bars, then dad rock it is.

I'd go so far as to say I can't fully appreciate most popular music until it has turned in to Dad Rock.  When it's new it's harder to overlook how awful the marketing hype, hardcore fan base and artists themselves tend to be.  It needs to age and ferment a bit before I can really experience it on its own terms.

I’m sure it is in a way. But a lot of new hip hop is so disposable and if you want actual good beats and bars, then dad rock it is.

Definitely disposable. I guess because it's so abundant now that its value has diminished in recent years. But I guess there are few exceptions, like Run The Jewels, that steadfastly maintain their root influences. Most of them just copy each other.

re: drum machine stuff now, behind the scenes was that a consequence of tougher rules about sampling and stuff?  Because I really really miss when it was breakbeats regardless of what the music was actually like

also is this mumblerap because I've never actually heard it

and should I put out the album it's like 6 tracks at least

Archived