IGNORED

Autechre - NTS 1-4 - reviews

wredny

Hmm, explain.

If you mean he just does it for attention and popularity, well, that might be an aspect, doesn't make the whole effort a bad thing. I think he didn't do too bad. And why think about it further if you don't like it?

Hmm, explain.

If you mean he just does it for attention and popularity, well, that might be an aspect, doesn't make the whole effort a bad thing. I think he didn't do too bad. And why think about it further if you don't like it?

Never mind. You're. I'll stop.

Edit: but expect yt video in which ill explain everything :)

Edited by xox

Many of those YT 'creators' (lol) do plenty of interaction with their audience. I couldn't tell you if he does but that's a huge part of most of their popularity. He's a bit dry with what he does but also he's much less douchey than someone like Fantano so that's a point for him.

I've watched the NTS video and the AE overview or whatever and just wasn't really into it at all, though...he's just...summing everything up. He's not adding, critiquing, or half the time even giving an opinion. I know tt1pd is badass, I've heard it. Thanks. It's cool for some people I guess, maybe getting some recommendations for stuff they don't know, but just...why listen to this guy talk about NTS for 30 minutes instead of just...listening...to....NTS (maybe one and a half tracks lol).

That's the same problem I have with music reviews in general now, I've mentioned it maybe here or elsewhere, they're just so often useless. Why spend 5 minutes reading a review of the new _____ when I could just open Spotify and listen to the tracks? Maybe skim through a few of them? Music 'magazines' now need to focus on introducing new artists to listeners quickly (most are doing that to some extent, some better than others) but the traditional 'review' is basically useless imo. Even a supposedly more detailed version like that guy offers on YT (he is good, but just doesn't do anything for me). Unless of course you're 15 and need to go to some cool dude to get introduced to new music (that's cool, of course, but like, not really relevant here).

Waiting for the lickneonlights review of NTS tho.  :trollface:

I've watched the NTS video and the AE overview or whatever and just wasn't really into it at all, though...he's just...summing everything up. He's not adding, critiquing, or half the time even giving an opinion. I know tt1pd is badass, I've heard it. Thanks. It's cool for some people I guess, maybe getting some recommendations for stuff they don't know, but just...why listen to this guy talk about NTS for 30 minutes instead of just...listening...to....NTS (maybe one and a half tracks lol).

Exactly. It seems like he comes from the fantano school of reviewing: very poised and articulate but not much real insight. I totally appreciate the effort and enthusiasm it takes to make a 30 min video about Autechre, but I'd much rather have a 5 min video without all the platitudes. It's pretty telling that half the comments are just "can you do a video about artist x?" I get the sense that people mostly just like the idea of what he's doing. 

(But then again, it's not like I could realistically make a better video lol.)

Edited by Guest

Many of those YT 'creators' (lol) do plenty of interaction with their audience. I couldn't tell you if he does but that's a huge part of most of their popularity. He's a bit dry with what he does but also he's much less douchey than someone like Fantano so that's a point for him.

That's the same problem I have with music reviews in general now, I've mentioned it maybe here or elsewhere, they're just so often useless. Why spend 5 minutes reading a review of the new _____ when I could just open Spotify and listen to the tracks? Maybe skim through a few of them? Music 'magazines' now need to focus on introducing new artists to listeners quickly (most are doing that to some extent, some better than others) but the traditional 'review' is basically useless imo. Even a supposedly more detailed version like that guy offers on YT (he is good, but just doesn't do anything for me). Unless of course you're 15 and need to go to some cool dude to get introduced to new music (that's cool, of course, but like, not really relevant here).

Waiting for the lickneonlights review of NTS tho.  :trollface:

Yeah, absolutely, it's definitely questionable why one needs a review of any music at all. For me it's sometimes interesting to read or hear how others perceive the music but in the end there is no much insight because it's so extremely subjective and also it's almost impossible to talk about musical experiences adequately. But I would definitely love to read someones impressions who is really good at describing stuff that most people have a hard time to express (thinking about authors like David Foster Wallace or António Lobo Antunes)

• 2 weeks later...

It is so inescapable that it’s almost a cliche to say at this point, but the world feels ghoulish and dystopian. Basically everything I’ve written about over the last few months, directly musical and otherwise, has engaged with this sense of the world’s too-much-ness. It is hard to even attempt to recall, from memory alone, the overwhelming evils perpetrated in the world in recent months. The US government continues to enact and enforce racist, sexist, transmisogynistic, and outright fascist policies. Kids, stripped from their parents by those tenuously enacted mandates, have been, according to reports, injected with psychoactive drugs in efforts to subdue them. Violence is perpetrated on society’s most vulnerable, with little to no recourse available. Lingering under everything is a low-grade hum of anxiety over the fact that no one in positions of power really seem to be doing anything about the fast approaching cliff of irreversible climate change.

hmm. glad to see someone FINALLY address the immigrant family separation crisis in an autechre review. I can't believe it's taken so long, but no doubt this will lead to much greater public awareness of the issue.

Edited by Guest

Makes me lol that no-one (that I've seen) can write a decent, insightful review of their recent output.

None of the reviewers have enough coke to get though the 8 hours

Makes me lol that no-one (that I've seen) can write a decent, insightful review of their recent output.

None of the reviewers have enough coke to get though the 8 hours
There is one who can save us:

Alco review when

• 4 weeks later...

Misuta, i agree with you 100%!

@others:

- how cant you see the difference between this or such videos and forums such is watmm? What we do here and why and what he does, why and to whom? Did any of us wrote a single similar post? Why would we do that? thinkaboutit

is it a phenomenological question? Proceeding along this road I could wonder why the act of receiving acoustic waves ordered in music is pleasant.

What is pleasure?

What am I?

Here again that ice block in the pit of the stomach

Would be a nice bonus for the NTS physical releases. tDR carved ice blocks with each purchase, delivered directly into your gut. lush.

Would be a nice bonus for the NTS physical releases. tDR carved ice blocks with each purchase, delivered directly into your gut. lush.

I would like to make room in my guts for a second block of ice, but I must say that, considering the production times of Worf Rec, I would risk receiving just a hot water basin, even if the project had started with the Babel dimensions of an iceberg.

Edited by AE35unit