IGNORED

Modeselektor - "Who Else"

sexagon hun

From the Press Release:

This is the new album by Modeselektor. It has been in the works for two years and was made within a month. It’s a record offering essential Modeselektor, a record formed by experience, self confidence and the usual madness. It raises a question and answers it straight away. “Who Else” is yet another counteraction to boredom and formulaic approaches. Hear Modeselektor casually kicking against the pricks. Somebody’s gotta do it. Who else?

Technical knowledge and craftsmanship have improved their creative process, but in the studio they are driven by the same old things. It’s the quest for the beat they haven’t made yet, the eternal hunt for the perfect mix. No bass drum sounds like the other on this record, no snare repeats itself in a different track. Each hi-hat is tailor-made, no synth sound recycled on another occasion. This isn’t one of those predictable techno records, and that’s what makes it such an effort: the endless search for new sounds while always bearing in mind that less is more.

“Who Else” represents the sound of Berlin in all its ambivalence. It is a record freed from outside pressure, only driven by a personal ambition to once more put out a great album. We’re happy they made it and looking forward to see them back on stage.

Jesus what a horrible blurb.

Have kind of a love/hate relationship with Modeselektor. A lot of their stuff hasn't dated that well and most of the time their sound tires my ears too quickly and I feel all old and useless. They've got a bunch of bangers and a great track here and there.  

Jesus what a horrible blurb.

Have kind of a love/hate relationship with Modeselektor. A lot of their stuff hasn't dated that well and most of the time their sound tires my ears too quickly and I feel all old and useless. They've got a bunch of bangers and a great track here and there.  

can you give an example? I hope you're not talking about Monkeytown at least, haha. It's their 'Discovery' imho. It's the one I'll be able to put on any time and enjoy no matter what.

Modeselektor circa 5-7 years ago is the best. The Thom Yorke colabs, Monkeytown, this:

good shit all around.

The new track with Flohio is pretty bad. I'd probably like it without vocals though.

I'm just not into those kinds of vocals. It feels like they just did a track based on a recent trend. The background instrumentals sound interesting but I can't make it out since the vocals are so up in the mix.

It's probably not indicative of their album as a whole... just the single... I hope.

I don't really get bragging about making an LP in a super short time (a month in this case)... I know some people have a streamlined studio approach that allows them to churn material though. Still, an LP like 'Human After All's press release pretty much made a focal aspect out of how rushed the writing/production was (made in 2 weeks as I recall) and that really doesn't help my reception of it. Dunno.

I really like some tracks on Happy Birthday so I'll give this a listen.

• 1 month later...

Archived