IGNORED

Konx-om-Pax - Ways Of Seeing

fumi

126501-1.jpg

Planet Mu:

On ‘Ways Of Seeing’ Konx-om-Pax has switched up the mood and hit gold. He has made an album that is filled with joy and sunshine, saturated with the classic feel of Berlin Techno.   Tom Scholefield has moved on from the dark ambient and brittle rave of the first two Konx-om-Pax albums, which were a reflection of his hometown Glasgow's electronic music scenes. After a recent move to Berlin, the textures of Glasgow's musical strains have fused into an accessible and friendly mix of poppy melodic electronica built from a stricter 'less is more' sound pallete, closer in spirit to the music of his adopted city. It is also a record which was made in opposition to recent music he has been hearing, in particular the troubled, dark and noisy experimental music coming out of Berlin. Tom wanted to focus on more joyful qualities, making this a record imbued with warmth and happiness, a panacea to the darkness and disorientation all around in 2019.

Having a social scene full of producers has also influenced the album. The opening track 'LA Melody' came from staying with Ross Birchard (Hudson Mohawke) at his house in LA, hanging out in the glorious sunshine with him and Lunice working on tracks. Initially Ross asked me to write some melodies to use in a project he was producing, but I ended up liking it so much I decided to keep the riff. I generally write music alone, but being around other producers gave me a certain excited energy that reminded me of after-parties back in Glasgow where Ross and myself spent our youth together. Spending time in Clark's studio also helped me improve my workflow and sequencing the album by seeing the way he does things. On 'Säule Acid' he collaborates with Silvia Kastel and in 'I’m For Real' the vocals of Glaswegian DJ/producer Nightwave filter around the track.

• 1 month later...

forgot to share this but he posted an amazing mix this past week on his soundcloud. It starts off so good so finally after a couple listens I started digging into track IDs and sure enough, the opener is Konx om Pax himself. It's one of the tracks off the new album. Lush as hell rave tune. You can tell he's been influenced by his time in Berlin.

Cannot wait for the album!

• 4 weeks later...

Gave this three straight listens back-to-back today. It's okay but certainly not as strong as Caramel with that killer run of five tracks at the start.

There are some nice moments but it's only on I'm for Real and The Paleontologist that I find the music really shines.

49 minutes ago, fumi said:

Gave this three straight listens back-to-back today. It's okay but certainly not as strong as Caramel with that killer run of five tracks at the start.

There are some nice moments but it's only on I'm for Real and The Paleontologist that I find the music really shines.

Maybe I need to relisten to Caramel.  Really enjoyed this album on first listen.  

This is a really nice and quite uplifting album with some definite standout moments, but I'll agree it doesn't stand up to Caramel. I like how clean it sounds but it is missing some of the strangeness that made Caramel stand out to me. Caramel is like an alternative Akira soundtrack if everyone in Akira was a raver. It's pretty unique. 

Agree with Fumi that I'm For Real and The Paleontologist are standouts. Paleontologist is gorgeous. Will dive deeper into it with more listens. Needs a proper play through on vinyl, too.

Really deep and lush LP after several spins, like his new less-is-more vibe with the emotional melodies. Artwork is amazing as usual.

Upon further reflection, this album fucking rules. It's got more depth to it than I first captured. Lots of standouts and it's just a great listen front to back. Caramel will always have a special place for me but this album stakes its own claim. Big fan.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

this is a reallllly good album, took me ages to listen properly to it cause i barely get to listen to anything these days. brainbanger.

Not bad. Just listening now. This dude has kinda passed me by although I know he collaborated with Lone. I think these tunes are okay but I'm yet to be convinced. Trying not to spoil the party though. ?

I'm for Real is hitting the spot. Feeling the vibe of this one. ?

Missed this one - really good stuff - my expectations for Konx-om-Pax are going to be unreasonably high I fear. Let's hope he's consistently this good with his output!

19 hours ago, TheBro said:

Not bad. Just listening now. This dude has kinda passed me by although I know he collaborated with Lone. I think these tunes are okay but I'm yet to be convinced. Trying not to spoil the party though. ?

I'm for Real is hitting the spot. Feeling the vibe of this one. ?

it's a great album and definitely his best

Archived