IGNORED

Forum Discussion/Issues

Joyrex

Just more 2 cents on this topic is that it does not make a lot of sense to display the contents of the 1st post of the thread, because well that never changes, especially for long megathreads. Maybe it would be more interesting to see a snapshot of the first unread post or how many new posts since you last read the thread, or something else entirely.

If all this happened due to forum software update and it will be a pain to fix things like that manually, then yeah I guess it is easier to live with it. ?

• Like 2

On 9/23/2021 at 8:41 AM, thawkins said:

Is it just me or the thread list visual design just got reaaaallly crowded and confusing to read? I kind of prefer the old way without thread first post message included in the list of threads/topics, but that's just my opinion, feel free to ignore. ?

Note especially the way overblown Guest usernames. Sample from the EKT forum.410795772_Screenshot2021-09-23at15_32_35.thumb.png.fa252cff87d81c6e32815b504eb06bc9.png

Is this still the case? It might be due to caching of the old skin versus the updated one...

On 9/24/2021 at 4:56 AM, user said:

Same. I thought it had to do with updating my phone's os and browser but it has the same horrible look on my old laptop. Total mess.

Caching? Still happening?

holy shit i have missed you guys so much!!! ❤️????

just dropping this message in here - i was banned for one month, but it didn't end, right? so is that a forum glitch? i really couldn't tell at first, but my name used to come up as "recently active" when i used incognito tabs (but i couldn't log in).

i've got a bunch of drukqs playlists and stuff. so excited to be back xx

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

holy shit i have missed you guys so much!!! ❤️????

just dropping this message in here - i was banned for one month, but it didn't end, right? so is that a forum glitch? i really couldn't tell at first, but my name used to come up as "recently active" when i used incognito tabs (but i couldn't log in).

i've got a bunch of drukqs playlists and stuff. so excited to be back xx

3 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

supm.png

4 hours ago, _vow_of_silence_ said:

On 9/29/2021 at 12:03 PM, thawkins said:

Guest usernames are fine now, same size as regular.

On 9/26/2021 at 6:00 AM, Silent Member said:

Rolling lols seem to have been broken.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:07 AM, Joyrex said:

Is this still the case? It might be due to caching of the old skin versus the updated one...

Caching? Still happening?

On 9/24/2021 at 3:40 PM, _vow_of_silence_ said:

320x180_cmsv2_7c98579b-d76b-51dd-8d59-4c35f9dd7ed8-3176122.jpg

picardfacepalm.png

Edited by _vow_of_silence_
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, logakght said:

I think we should remove the reactions.

Well, considering someone reacted to your suggestion... I'd say they are working as intended.

Any reasons why?

• Facepalm 1

18 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Well, considering someone reacted to your suggestion... I'd say they are working as intended.

Any reasons why?

I think they harm substantial dialogue, so instead of actually replying to me about my suggestion, people can simply ❤️ or something like that, which means nothing more than "don't read, don't care". I prefer people to ignore my messages rather than letting me know they ignored it. Also, makes WATMM look like pretty infantile. Before reactions (thanks to Shitbook) forums looked professional, inspiring. Now they look exactly like social media and people fucking around with no real discussion. I do think reactions harm the quality of dialogue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, logakght said:

I think they harm substantial dialogue, so instead of actually replying to me about my suggestion, people can simply ❤️ or something like that, which means nothing more than "don't read, don't care". I prefer people to ignore my messages rather than letting me know they ignored it. Also, makes WATMM look like pretty infantile. Before reactions (thanks to Shitbook) forums looked professional, inspiring. Now they look exactly like social media and people fucking around with no real discussion. I do think reactions harm the quality of dialogue.

I too thought that whenever the reactions came about here that they seemed somewhat juvenile. I don't do any social media stuff, so wasn't sure exactly what to make of them at first. but after people kept putting reactions on some of my posts, I decided it's only fair to respond in kind, and so started using them. I do think they are somewhat useful now, as it is essentially another way to communicate with the folks on here. I disagree about the "don't read don't care" part you mentioned, as everything I put a reaction on I have in fact read, and wanted the poster to know I agree with them - which is what I think the heart thing means? I do think the heart needs to be changed though to like a fist or something more manly, as this place is what, 99.9% guys? a bunch of dudes giving each other little hearts seems, um, well...

• Sad 1

Basically what Frances Haugen said here. They are considered "meaningful social interactions" that are supposed to help a social platform "grow", but in essence they only favour short-termism; they make a social platform more toxic in the longer run. Even FB's users had said "back in 2018 that when they get past 'meaningful social interactions' they make it less meaningful." How is a "50.3k posts" link and an "experienced" badge meaningful to a 100yo like myself.

Personally, I'd like to be able to browse/search a topic like "recently purchased/stolen/eaten/read/watched cds/books/films/bananas" much easier. Those topics tend to be a few hundred pages long; maybe on page 250 someone posted something about a book or record that I didn't know of; I'd like to be able to find that quickly without clicking 'prev/next' and scrolling through quotes of quotes of quotes.

Edited by IOS
bananas

correction: in the video I quoted, she says "when they passed MSIs back in 2018, FB's users said it made it less meaningful." Still, that's in agreement to what I said above.

7 hours ago, user said:

@Joyrex Is it possible your inbox is full? Sent you a pm a couple of weeks ago wrt my subscription.

@Joyrex this. it really does look like you can't see your PMs or your emails. can you let us know whether this is the case? you're not the ghosting type, i'm sure this is just a mistake.

On 10/8/2021 at 9:46 PM, zero said:

I too thought that whenever the reactions came about here that they seemed somewhat juvenile. I don't do any social media stuff, so wasn't sure exactly what to make of them at first. but after people kept putting reactions on some of my posts, I decided it's only fair to respond in kind, and so started using them. I do think they are somewhat useful now, as it is essentially another way to communicate with the folks on here. I disagree about the "don't read don't care" part you mentioned, as everything I put a reaction on I have in fact read, and wanted the poster to know I agree with them - which is what I think the heart thing means? I do think the heart needs to be changed though to like a fist or something more manly, as this place is what, 99.9% guys? a bunch of dudes giving each other little hearts seems, um, well...

I kind of agree with this post.

I like the thanks/heart thing because it gives me a quick way to thank someone for an informative post or give a thumbs up to something cool without posting something that is just "Thanks" or "That's really cool". Maybe a good move is to enable all smileys to be in reactions, maybe not. I think it depends if this feature is used in the WATMM community in a cool and innovative way, and right now it seems that it is.

A bunch of dudes giving each other little hearts is in - my opinion - the wholesome content the internet needs more of. ?

• Like 2

I did some quick experimentation in Firefox dev console: removed reactions and topic snippet text from the threads because I feel that this way only the really important information is displayed without overloading the viewer with insane amounts of information.

Yeah I know this is a little bit backseat driver mode, however if there is interest I could try and set up a custom CSS override that anyone can use so that no server side changes are needed.

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 20.47.49.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 20.48.31.png

• Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

Maybe a good move is to enable all smileys to be in reactions, maybe not.

?

+1 

2 hours ago, thawkins said:

A bunch of dudes giving each other little hearts is in - my opinion - the wholesome content the internet needs more of. 

?

react_like.png

• Like 4