IGNORED

The Future Sound of London - Cascade 2020 (RSD release)

purlieu

Nice, going to take a listen.

Some of my local shops have spread out RSD over the fall. I wish RSD didn't have to be so hyped and weird, and suppliers could just let us and shops know what releases they were getting, because I'd pick up the 12" locally if it were available

Edited by TwiddleBot

1 minute ago, TwiddleBot said:

Some of my local shops have spread out RSD over the fall. I wish RSD didn't have to be so hyped and weird, and suppliers could just let us and shops know what releases they were getting, because I'd pick up the 12" locally if it were available

I'm not sure if Canada had the same RSD releases as US, but the FSOL and AA releases were not available in US. That aside, I couldn't agree more, actually quite dislike RSD. As someone who goes to the local shops every week, I find it irritating as hell that I have to line up at the crack of dawn if I want something on RSD. I guess this year was probably great for the shops as hopefully still pulled in people who only visit 1-2 a year and as I want all the shops to survive Covid, shouldn't complain. I skipped, just regular record shopped last weekend, got the one US release I cared about (Sun Ra box set) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brap23 said:

I'm not sure if Canada had the same RSD releases as US, but the FSOL and AA releases were not available in US. That aside, I couldn't agree more, actually quite dislike RSD. As someone who goes to the local shops every week, I find it irritating as hell that I have to line up at the crack of dawn if I want something on RSD. I guess this year was probably great for the shops as hopefully still pulled in people who only visit 1-2 a year and as I want all the shops to survive Covid, shouldn't complain. I skipped, just regular record shopped last weekend, got the one US release I cared about (Sun Ra box set) 

I don't know honestly either. The last time I tried to figure this out was when the Brian Eno/Kevin Shields RSD release went out two years ago. I called almost every record shop in town (and there's quite a few here). Most of them told me that had no idea what they were getting until they got it and had to go digging. Half a day later, one of the smallest shops in the city got back to me, they had received one copy, of course by the time they called me it had sold to someone else.

Since then, I don't have the time or energy to bother with RSD

4 hours ago, TwiddleBot said:

RSD has been separated into three "drops" this year.

4 hours ago, brap23 said:

My dealer (in Europe) got the AA release and the Papua New Guinea single, but told me that Cascades 2020 hadn't come out in time for RSD and he'd try to order it for me. Not sure if I should support him or just go through their website now and be done with it.

• Like 1

fyi, this is fucking brilliant, and probably their best release since Environments 4, eight years ago. Lots of beats, lots of ambience, lots of gorgeous melodies. Blends the organic weirdness of their '90s material with the bleepy IDM of recent releases.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, purlieu said:

fyi, this is fucking brilliant, and probably their best release since Environments 4, eight years ago. Lots of beats, lots of ambience, lots of gorgeous melodies. Blends the organic weirdness of their '90s material with the bleepy IDM of recent releases.

Totally agreed. Great “album” up there with their best recent material.

Yeah, it's good. Not sure about the couple of recreated tracks. The originals were perfect. Didn't need to be recreated, imo. But it's only a couple. Other tracks are cool. Def interesting to hear how they combined new angles with the old cascade angles. Interesting take. Sounds surprisingly fresh. At some points I thought I heard some AE influences as well. Was cool! ?

• Like 2

Cascade 2020 is too good.

I’d love it if they revisited Lifeforms but over at the FSOL forum they’re saying that Virgin still owns the rights to the Liz Fraser vocals, even those that didn’t make release, and they need to re-record those so it’s likely never going to be a goer ☹️ 

What a golden age for music the 90s were.  Unparalleled.  Blessed we were.

Edited by NewSchoolScience
  • Like 4

They've been working on a reworked version of the Lifeforms Paths EP for a very long time... some snippets of it appeared in their live ISDN performances in 2009. But yeah, Virgin owns the original tracks meaning they'd have to be recreated from scratch: not a problem if you've got the same samples and synths as you had in the '90s, hence last year's version of Yage being a new version yet almost unrecognisable from the original, other than subtleties in the mix; if you want to use any of the actual audio from the original track, however, it ends up being a remix and thus the label retain the rights. As far as I know, the band are yet to receive any royalties from their Virgin releases (their advances were steep so they've a lot to pay off before getting any money back!), so it'd basically end up making them no money; Universal would also have to consider it commercially viable enough to want to actually release. So yeah, it exists, and Gaz's love of Liz Fraser's voice means it's probably the most Cobain-heavy "FSOL" music since the '90s, but the chances of it coming out are probably quite slim sadly. Such are the problems with major label deals.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic but I didn't know where else to post it.

Question for FSOL experts, which of the early 90s radio sessions featured a sample from Tangerine Dream's 'Phadrea'?

I could have sworn it was a Kiss FM broadcast buy cannot confirm it.