IGNORED

Jean Michel Jarre

Lianne

Didn't listen. White note supremacy is scary stuff, thanks for the warning.

Which release are we talking about? I don't trust people who don't have a soft spot for Jarre. He's put out a lot of cheesy shit since the 90's but Equinoxe Infinity is massive. 

4 hours ago, chim said:

Which release are we talking about? I don't trust people who don't have a soft spot for Jarre. He's put out a lot of cheesy shit since the 90's but Equinoxe Infinity is massive. 

Yeah, Oxygene 3 as well, love it! The ? is half the fun! Never trust someone who doesn't like cheese.

12 minutes ago, IDEM said:

Yeah, Oxygene 3 as well, love it! The ? is half the fun! Never trust someone who doesn't like cheese.

Some of his albums are weirdly out of sync with the times, I listened to Geometry of Love a ton when it came out, it was one of the most modern sounding albums of the 2000s and still is! I think his D-50 stuff from the 90's will be back in style soon (Revolutions). He's made such a return to form with the recent Oxygene and Equinoxe albums. 

yeah i fuck with jarre. in addition to the ones mentioned i also have a soft spot for zoolook. very epic stuff. gonna check out the new one.

my man is literally in love with the elka synthex so he's legit

Please don’t kill me - I think Metamorphosis is actually one of his best albums. Amazing attention to detail, production, sound design and feel (though don’t love all the vocals.) ? 

But nothing is as wondrous as Zoolook

His new stuff (the new Equinox and Oxygene) is okay...a bit straight and EDM in places for me. I can’t help it, I want some wonky stuff to happen like the beautiful sliding notes in the second half of Chronologie 1.

His good stuff is great, mainly earlier stuff. His updates of Oxygen and Equinox are decent but definitely lack the soul and flow of his early classics, not as inspired. 

11 hours ago, Lianne said:

Please don’t kill me - I think Metamorphosis is actually one of his best albums. Amazing attention to detail, production, sound design and feel (though don’t love all the vocals.) ? 

But nothing is as wondrous as Zoolook

His new stuff (the new Equinox and Oxygene) is okay...a bit straight and EDM in places for me. I can’t help it, I want some wonky stuff to happen like the beautiful sliding notes in the second half of Chronologie 1.

You'll get no hate from me! Metamorphosis is definitely overlooked and very solid. Clearly a lot of effort poured into that one, compared to some of the later releases which are lacking in attention to detail. 

For me Oxygene, Equinoxe, Zoolook, Rendezvous, Metamorphoses are my favourites. 

First time I ever heard electronic music as a young lad was Equinoxe 5 and the chemical reaction was so massive it blew my brain into fucking smithereens!!

Soon after his show at Docklands was on tv, and that also blew my eyes into fucking smithereens!!!

So a record you haven't mentioned is Concerts In China. And a long time ago I would always play these tunes in particular

(which is obviously on Les Chants Magnetiques)

and the delicious French cheese that is 

Oxygene, Equinoxe and Zoolook are incredible. Magnetic Fields and Chronologie are lovely too. Oxygene 7-13 was one of the first albums I ever bought, and although parts of it are almost shamelessly pasted in from the original, I do have a real soft spot for it.

Oxygene 3 I liked at first but the novelty wore off pretty fast... never did get around to listening to Equinoxe Infinity. Should probably do something about that.

I had the chance to see Jarre live, seated in a room so not as mindblowing as his most notorious shows but I did enjoy it greatly.

I've been listening to Rendez Vous a lot. Fourth Rendez Vous is the cheesiest thing ever but Second Rendez Vous is awesome !

13 hours ago, Stock said:

I had the chance to see Jarre live, seated in a room so not as mindblowing as his most notorious shows but I did enjoy it greatly.

I've been listening to Rendez Vous a lot. Fourth Rendez Vous is the cheesiest thing ever but Second Rendez Vous is awesome !

Good lord Fourth Rendezvous is a cheese overdose. Jarre can't help but serve up a slab of cheese on most albums. 

Funny because most of Rendezvous is quite dark. That track is totally out of place!

Fourth Rendez Vous was basically the first piece of music I ever got into when I was a kid. I remember seeing the video for it a few times on TV and would get real excited every time it came on, I'd jump around the room and hum along to it.

It makes me think of like.... Commodore 64 music... or demo scene tracker stuff... it's lovely!

• 1 month later...

I dunno if it was this thread or what but for some reason this last week has been Jarre week for me. Never really delved very deep into his discography but now I need to listen to everything.

Chronologie and Zoolook are definitely my favourites at the moment.

I never knew how much Oneohtrix Point Never took influence from this kinda stuff... particularly the R Plus 7/Commissions era. Has he ever specifically mentioned Jarre? There's this bit from Lopatin's Magnetic Rose Suite which sounds A LOT like Zoolook...

Yes OPN definitely nicked a lot of ideas for R Plus 7, that was blatantly obvious the first time I spun it (especially Zoolook) I remember mentioning it in the thread at the time. That's cool though, it's nice to have a fresh and cutting edge version.

Archived