IGNORED

Squarepusher is the worst musician any sane person could ever listen to

Guest Adam

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am definitely on the fence when it comes to Squarepusher.

I rather liked Ultravisitor since I purchased it right after I saw him live on the Warp / London Sinfonietta tour. Music often resonates with me better if I have experienced it live in some form. At the time I did not really know much about his output before Ultravisitor but I do like his earlier rave sounds, have picked up a few vinyls since.

After Ultravisitor I was rather dissapointed with the output that followed. Solo Electric Bass 1, Shoebalaeder and Just a Souvenir did not do it for me at all, its good that he likes to experiment and is happy to release things he is happy with rather than just pleasing his audience, but this period of music fell flat to my ears. Hello Everything I thought was quite good, as was the Numbers Lucent EP which kicked ass hard.

Ufabulum / Enstrobia was the first Squarepusher release I can honestly say I have properly enjoyed for a long time. Well produced electronic music that has a sense of humour about it.

So disengaging my sarcasm meter, he is definitely not the worst musician out there and is certainly a unique British output we should be fairly proud of.

90's Squarepusher = one the greatest musicians ever.

00's Squarepusher and forward = average musician with a few good releases (Numbers Lucent and Venus No. 17 are both masterpieces).

From Go Plastic it went very downhill in my opinion. And funny how that was just around the millennium. That has actually happened to a lot artist from the Drum & Bass scene (if you consider him a part of that scene of course). Photek, Dillinja, Goldie, Source Direct and even Amon Tobin to a certain extent (the list could go on and on). They all went downhill around the millennium. It's fucking weird.

Ultravistior has it's moments. But overall I just have to say that it's a release I don't particularly like. The same with Hello Everything. Just A Souvenir has couple of good tracks, but the rest is just garbage.

And with Shobaleader and Ufabulum he has hit a all-time low. I honestly wish I've never bought them.

I wish he would throw away that fucking bass guitar of his. And just go back to make old DnB/Jungle inspired tracks again.

I would still like to see SP and Clark drunkenly wrestling outside a kebab shop.

no basses or wheelchairs allowed as weapons. just fists and feet.

I personally think he fell in love during or before JAS. :wub:

t'would make sense. love & happiness screws with creativity and makes you soft.

when artists fall in love and/or get married and/or have kids, that's it. because love.

I loved Shobaleader One and Ufabulum, Than I bought all of his vinyls on discogs. Now I know that I wasted hundreds of dollars... If only this thread was here earlier...

...so if you haven't fell for this SquarePusher hype DON'T BUY ANYTHING BEFORE 2010!!!!

..oh and KCRW Session are way worst than originals from Ufabulum.

"I'm the fucking uncle" sounds very wrong.

I'm an SP faithful so I'll listen to anything he puts out. personally I love Big Loada most and find it an absolutely no-miss release (I don't care that it's not a proper album) but I enjoyed JAS and even *gasp* Shobaleader. Ufabulum would be much better if it weren't mixed all fuckeded up.

also Venus #17 is das bomb

This, mostly, although I've voiced my distaste for certain tracks of Tomwank on Ultravisitor (he can do better) and this is blasphemy but Come on My Selector is sort of shit that is trampled upon by the rest of Big Loada, particularly when Big Loada contains the Port Rhombus EP.

My biggest problem with JAS, Shobaleader, and Ufabulum is the weirdly unlush mix n master jobs on them (Numbers Lucent got a lush mix n master job, so what the fuck Tom?). I think all three recent major albums would be tons 'o' fun otherwise.

what the fuck is this thread

..Also, just to counter balance all the arrogance popping up around, I'd say it would be funny to hear the specific critics made by the YLC-Watmmers partying into this thread and to hear what they actually (musically) produce in parallel. I'm not aiming anyone in particular but I'm just bothered about the inelegance of some critics made here, might they be serious or "not".

lol

this thread was brought to you from a parallel dimension where SP is shit and Adam Beker is awesome.

leave while you still can...

Archived