IGNORED

Squarepusher is the worst musician any sane person could ever listen to

Guest Adam

I personally think he fell in love during or before JAS. :wub:

t'would make sense. love & happiness screws with creativity and makes you soft.

when artists fall in love and/or get married and/or have kids, that's it. because love.

Can't recall witch Ae album was made as Sean got married…OH WAIT.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally think he fell in love during or before JAS. :wub:

t'would make sense. love & happiness screws with creativity and makes you soft.

when artists fall in love and/or get married and/or have kids, that's it. because love.

Can't recall witch Ae album was made as Sean got married…OH WAIT.

which one was it?

admittedly I wasn't thinking about Ae.

what the fuck is this thread

..Also, just to counter balance all the arrogance popping up around, I'd say it would be funny to hear the specific critics made by the YLC-Watmmers partying into this thread and to hear what they actually (musically) produce in parallel. I'm not aiming anyone in particular but I'm just bothered about the inelegance of some critics made here, might they be serious or "not".

why don't you just actually go and check the peoples' tracks out and let us know? i can almost agree with your sentiment, but allow me to play devil's advocate here just a bit. is it necessary for someone to actually do a thing before they can critique the work of others in that field, let alone that they must even do that thing to or beyond the level of the person they are critiquing? do i have to be an architect to say if a building is shitty? do you apply this logic consistently? if someone has ever complimented you on something you did, did you demand to see examples of their work to know if their compliment was valuable? you're aware that if not, then that makes you kind of a hypocrite right? also, why are you getting 'bothered' by the 'inelegance' of the posts of some dumbos in some forum? also, why do you make a point of saying "might they be serious or not"? is tom such a super-hero to you that you can't even tolerate people jokingly saying they don't like his albums? if so, consider professional help.

I don't understand how anyone can hate on Angel Integer. dat snare rush

i think some of us are just evil/nihilistic bastards

who like nothing

and believe in nothing

i mean, i might just be speaking for myself but maybe some of the others feel the same way

didn't sqsher say after he played a journey to reedham the crowd went nuts and he told himself to never write a catchy tune cause it was too easy for him? defies logic

didn't sqsher say after he played a journey to reedham the crowd went nuts and he told himself to never write a catchy tune cause it was too easy for him? defies logic

err not quite

“I never ruled out melody completely, but I did go to great lengths to take away the element on which people normally hang their hats, and to see if I could recreate it in other ways"

intresting read that article:

As a result of, paradoxically, one very successful early track with a strong melodic hook that appeared on Big Loada, Jenkinson embarked on a challenging, counter‑intuitive journey with regards to melody. He recalls: “I made ‘Journey To Reedham’ in 1996, and I remember the first time I played it during a rave: the crowd went bananas! I concluded from that kind of experience that if you have a knack for writing catchy melodies you can immediately appeal to people. I appear to have that knack, and I could go into the studio now and take an hour to create another barnstorming rave track that everyone will love. But certainly at the time I felt that that was too easy. I really did not want to become a one‑trick pony. It appeared that an overtly catchy melody line allows a piece of music to communicate with people, and I started to experiment to see whether, if I took that melody line away, I could get the other instrument to make up for the lack of overt melody. I tried to create quasi‑melodies in the interactions between the rhythm section and the other instruments, for example.
“I never ruled out melody completely, but I did go to great lengths to take away the element on which people normally hang their hats, and to see if I could recreate it in other ways. I wondered, would it be possible to create a sequence of low‑register sounds with sharp transients that would be catchy? Could I make bass lines that were catchy? Is it possible to make beats that are catchy? Are there other ways than overt melodies to make people latch onto a track in an instantaneous way? So in a way I was doing research. I was using a lot of foggy, jazz‑influenced harmony and electro‑acoustic sounds, thinking that this maybe offered a different way of doing things. On Go Plastic, I approached the question from the angle of digital processing, and wondered whether there was a way of making that so visceral, so aggressive, so exciting, of injecting so much adrenaline into the music that it was possible to do away with melody. Could the music still communicate, and if not in the same way, could it at least offer a parallel way of doing things?”

i think i like those unreleased acid tracks that are supposedly by him the most out of all his tracks.

yeah so many amazing tracks in that warp20 show. i hope he releases 'from the archives' type of compilation in the future.

..Also, just to counter balance all the arrogance popping up around, I'd say it would be funny to hear the specific critics made by the YLC-Watmmers partying into this thread and to hear what they actually (musically) produce in parallel. I'm not aiming anyone in particular but I'm just bothered about the inelegance of some critics made here, might they be serious or "not".

why don't you just actually go and check the peoples' tracks out and let us know? i can almost agree with your sentiment, but allow me to play devil's advocate here just a bit. is it necessary for someone to actually do a thing before they can critique the work of others in that field, let alone that they must even do that thing to or beyond the level of the person they are critiquing? do i have to be an architect to say if a building is shitty? do you apply this logic consistently? if someone has ever complimented you on something you did, did you demand to see examples of their work to know if their compliment was valuable? you're aware that if not, then that makes you kind of a hypocrite right? also, why are you getting 'bothered' by the 'inelegance' of the posts of some dumbos in some forum? also, why do you make a point of saying "might they be serious or not"? is tom such a super-hero to you that you can't even tolerate people jokingly saying they don't like his albums? if so, consider professional help.

lol

I didn't want to imply that one needs to make music for criticizing music of others (and that stands for any field of competence), it's just that I'm always bothered when I read posts which picture Squarepusher as a cheesy wanker or I don't know what, and indeed I find some of these posts inelegant in one hand because they seem to get over the idea it's really not "in" enough to actually think Squarepusher still makes good music (or has made some one day), in the other hand just because Squarepusher is a musician who has always and who still does play constantly on the edge of cheese and who seem in the same time not to care about it too much, just to make music for himself, which makes it in my opinion sound like it's sincerely coming from the heart (a quality which for some reason I find more and more rarely).

For this reason Squarepusher is for me a kind of super-hero indeed and I admit it was a little bit stupid from my part to write against the not serious posts in there, especially when I re-read the thread and realize its general tone is most of the time quite inoffensive (sometimes even funny !).

To the haters...

Go for a long drive and listen to

http://www.mixcloud.com/C_Ceci/

... 3 hours of squarepusher mixed

lisen to the lot and tell me how amazing squarepusher isn't............ The funk, the percussion, the melodies, the acid lines, the off-kilterness, the curveballs, the headbanging, then sidestepping.....................fucking masterful.

THEN

listen to his live sets from:

Frigid 2001, liquid 1997, tokyo 2004, boston 2004, bangface, Mary anne hobbes and the later ones form this year....

THEN

get fucked!

I don't understand how anyone can hate Into the Blue either. How is that possible?

A lengthy explanation would be appreciated.

Gay vocals. A snare that is a disgrace to all snares. Boring. Repetetive. Boring. Gay. Unoriginal.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.

Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.

Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.Shit.

No drop.

Guest CraniumXII

Do not deny his cheese-funk combo!

There's some amazing shit he's done in his 15yr+ recording career. For me Ufabulum is his most ambitious album in quite some time. I can never wait to see what he produces. He's a fuckin' mad genius with the balls to create whatever he wants to create, without regard for his listener's preferences.

He continues to surprise me...

Archived