IGNORED

Interstellar - Chris Nolan's new film

Rubin Farr

from the trailer i have no idea where they are going with this.

Glad I'm not the only one - The trailer seems to set up the establishment of the characters but not what it's actually going to be about. Man goes in rocket and takes off into space and ...... what exactly ?

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from the trailer i have no idea where they are going with this.

Glad I'm not the only one - The trailer seems to set up the establishment of the characters but not what it's actually going to be about. Man goes in rocket and takes off into space and ...... what exactly ?

Isn't this the purpose of a decent trailer? Create enough intrigue to get people to watch it. Nolan knows he can be a bit vague and get away with it.

Isn't this the purpose of a decent trailer? Create enough intrigue to get people to watch it

Yeah absolutely agreed, there just doesn't seem to be quite enough of said 'intrigue' for me to get excited about it

Here's what I've gathered:

Humanity launches probes into wormholes looking for other inhabitable places, meanwhile everyone regardless of education or previous career becomes a farmer out of necessity. One of the probes finally comes back intact, some people stop being farmers for a sec to investigate. Man gets on rocket with Anne Hathaway to look for supposedly inhabitable place the probe came back from, leaves his daughter to grow up without a father (or mother, presumably), not knowing if he will ever see her again.

Cool premise but I doubt any movie could really deliver anything meaningful on such a grand topic (kind of like Contact was always going to be a letdown), let alone one by Nolan whose movies typically are an incoherent bunch of utterly meaningless superficial hocus pocus. I will probably watch it regardless.

Guest Gary C

Contact was totally not a let-down.

But I agree, I don't think Nolan has the clarity to nail a concept like this. Something so grand requires serious world-building, reason and understanding and a lot of what I see from him uses mystery and mysticism to channel the narratives.

If you've read the script, you'll know that most of the trailer is from the first act, with a couple of shots obviously after. But it's kinda spoilery too! There are some stuff,

dual wormholes! grown up kid!

, that anybody could get from a couple of shots.

Heck don't go to IMDB or you'll get spoiled out of something just by reading the cast page!

Humanity launches probes into wormholes looking for other inhabitable places, meanwhile everyone regardless of education or previous career becomes a farmer out of necessity. One of the probes finally comes back intact, some people stop being farmers for a sec to investigate. Man gets on rocket with Anne Hathaway to look for supposedly inhabitable place the probe came back from, leaves his daughter to grow up without a father (or mother, presumably), not knowing if he will ever see her again.

Cool premise but I doubt any movie could really deliver anything meaningful on such a grand topic (kind of like Contact was always going to be a letdown), let alone one by Nolan whose movies typically are an incoherent bunch of utterly meaningless superficial hocus pocus. I will probably watch it regardless.

I know Degrasse Tyson is heavily involved, but I hope they stick to the Einstein Rosenbridge theory, and have the astronauts return to find everyone has aged on Earth by decades.

I know Degrasse Tyson is heavily involved, but I hope they stick to the Einstein Rosenbridge theory, and have the astronauts return to find everyone has aged on Earth by decades.

I don't know, continuing on what Gary C wrote about "mystery and mysticism" and all that, I doubt that this is going to be a sci-fi movie at all so I'll try to have no expectations about the "science" of it. I think it's probably going to be more of a fantastical adventure movie that has lots of overwhelming crazy stuff happening to an everyman protagonist and that tugs at the heartstrings rather than doing anything for you intellectually.

I'd like that too actually, but it's so easy to overdo. Then again Gravity moved me despite going over the top about a dozen times, I guess it being beautiful at the core was enough for me to make that somewhat forgivable.

Uh... don't read the script

a young redhead girl, Jessica Chastain *and* Ellen Burstyn playing the same character

because the movie is ALL about that.

Uh... don't read the script

a young redhead girl, Jessica Chastain *and* Ellen Burstyn playing the same character

because the movie is ALL about that.

That's a really tired trope and a thing the people involved would know about and prepare accordingly.

i loved contact until the part where they start building that giant ball and gary busey's son blows up the first one, so jodie foster goes on the second one, disappears for 1 second and spends that time on an lsd beach with her dad.

i loved contact until the part where they start building that giant ball and gary busey's son blows up the first one, so jodie foster goes on the second one, disappears for 1 second and spends that time on an lsd beach with her dad.

that's, like, the most idm part of the movie wtf dude.

Guest Gary C

Contact's ending is an emotional low because humanity would really act that way, like conspiratorial dickheads, and make it a low. Sagan knew.

But I agree, I don't think Nolan has the clarity to nail a concept like this. Something so grand requires serious world-building, reason and understanding and a lot of what I see from him uses mystery and mysticism to channel the narratives.

Well, finally, we might have a different, more emotionnally resonant space travel movie. No superheros, no basic evil vs. good, no demonic creatures from planet X-666, no stupid love story between crew members, no survival story that ends with a smile, etc., etc., etc. Nolan has made Memento and Inception and yet he doesn't have the clarity to nail down a complex cinematographic concept like space travel? Haha, I wonder who would! Personally, I hope he will bring mystery to outer space as no one else ever did it. Outer space is always presented to us in movies as something understandable. Even Gravity was shown from the points of view of NASA so the setting was ultra familiar. But you know, outer space is a complete mystery. The most intriguing and awe-inspiring mystery out there, I think. We have no idea what's the next step for us. But we can't die here. We have to move forward. I think this is what this movie is about. About letting go of the earth and how painful it will be. But let's wait and see, I'm so excited!

Contact's ending is an emotional low because humanity would really act that way, like conspiratorial dickheads, and make it a low. Sagan knew.

The book doesn't have the same ending as the movie dude.

the screenplay, written by carl sagan and ann druyan, came before the novel and carl was involved in the film's production, so i think the vision was clear even if there were thematic differences between the movie and book.

the screenplay, written by carl sagan and ann druyan, came before the novel and carl was involved in the film's production, so i think the vision was clear even if there were thematic differences between the movie and book.

Yeah but the screenplay was written in 1977, twenty years before Zemeckis did the movie. And it's not the final movie script, Warner Bros. changed it completely. Here you'll find an article about it :

http://io9.com/5931333/read-carl-sagans-letter-politely-telling-warner-bros-their-script-sucked

• 1 month later...

Archived