IGNORED

Zephyr Nova's drunken AMA

Zephyr_Nova

1 hour ago, Cryptowen said:

You wake up tomorrow & you've magically teleported back in time to the day you joined WATMM, your present day mind waking up in your past body basically. What do you do? Doesn't have to be WATMM-related, can be as short term or long term as you want

Hmmmm I'd probably dress a bit sharper and put more focus into honing my social skills.  I would move to a bigger city that is more of a cultural hub for music and the arts in general (UK, California, New York, Berlin, or Montreal most likely).  I would try to network with the right people to hopefully move forward with a music career.  Possibly find a job at a high end recording studio, prob starting off as the bringer of coffee and working my way up the ladder.  Who knows if I'd actually succeed at any of these things.  I'm certainly a lot more socially savvy now though, and have a better idea of what needs to be done to reach my end goals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I would move to a bigger city that is more of a cultural hub for music and the arts in general (UK, California, New York, Berlin, or Montreal most likely

i actually did do that last one not too long after joining watmm (well, like, three years after, but close enough). would probably do again but earlier, get all the typical debaucherous youth stuff out of my system at 19-21 rather than 24-27. and buy stock in monster energy drink

Edited by Cryptowen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Went to my guitar to figure this out.  My enjoyment of chords depends a lot upon what other chords they are surrounded by.  But one chord that will instantly make my ears perk up is an A major (open A + the octave above it on the D string) with a minor six and an add9.  Is that an augmented minor add9?  This is the most mysterious, haunting, beautiful and tragic chord to my ear. I've only used it a handful of times... maybe twice.  Gotta make it count.  There is also a chord that contains an A flat minor7 sus2 but with both E strings ringing out, turning into some kind of majestic E major gone awry.  That's a really lush chord.  A far more common, but no less confounding chord is an F major with the B and high E string ringing out... so the high E becomes a Maj7 and the B is a tritone up the octave from the root, flat 5 I suppose you could call it?  Augmented 4th?  Fmaj7aug4 is perhaps the name for it.

I don't know, I've always been drawn towards unusual chords that I don't hear a lot.  I sound them out in my head, or stumble upon them while noodling.  Later on if I ever need to explain it to another musician I figure it out like this.  I'm always intuition first, figure the theory out later if need be.  Leads to some interesting results.

cheers

i'd have to get my keyboard out to check out what these sound like. yeah the sound of chords depends on the harmonic context but i was just curious to know which ones you like per se 

btw about that 1st chord: as far as i can tell, augmented minor add9 makes no sense lol

you said it was a major chord with a minor 6th and a 9th. so first, why aug min? maj implies a maj 3rd, so min has nothing to do here

second, if the intervals are 1 - 3 - b6 - 9 (not counting the octave) and no perfect 5th, it's basically an augmented triad with a 9th. so we could say your chord is Aaug (add9) or whatever the notation's supposed to be. but that's assuming that the b6 is actually a #5 interval

now the interesting thing is that another way to interpret that chord is by interpreting that b6 as a b13 and not an altered 5th, which would mean your chord is actually Ab13 (add9) or something, which is the tonic chord of mixolydian b6, the 5th mode of melodic minor. not sure whether the correct notation is b6 or b13 though, i'm reaching my limits 

i'd have to take a closer look to how you described the other chords but i'm too tired now lol

52 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

Ab13 (add9) 

i think the correct notation is A9 (b13) actually. anything but what i wrote, which was Ab with a 13th and a 9th

neurotic distress intensifies

Edited by brian trageskin

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

showing off wasn't my intention btw lol 

oh fuck

Hint: It's not about you showing off too much, it's about you being a dork.

The guitar solo you posted is - some would say "shameless", some would say "nauseating" - it's pretty bad however you put it (if you have any sense of taste that is, otherwise you might like it and think it's cool).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

cheers

i'd have to get my keyboard out to check out what these sound like. yeah the sound of chords depends on the harmonic context but i was just curious to know which ones you like per se 

btw about that 1st chord: as far as i can tell, augmented minor add9 makes no sense lol

you said it was a major chord with a minor 6th and a 9th....

the chord i refer to has the root, the octave, the maj3rd above that, the minor 6, and the 9th.  So whatever that would be. 

Amaj9#5

*Although traditionally "Maj9" implies there's a major seventh option - lydian augmented scale (also, #5 rather than b13 means there is no natural fifth available in the scale).  So if you were playing notes from a different scale under it (another two options would be mixolydian flat-6 or whole tone scale, both with flat 7ths) you'd have to spell it differently.  Since your chord doesn't have a seventh in it, that's why it's harder to spell precisely. 

A aug (add9) also works but then you're not giving soloists very much information

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Hmmmm I'd probably dress a bit sharper and put more focus into honing my social skills.  I would move to a bigger city that is more of a cultural hub for music and the arts in general (UK, California, New York, Berlin, or Montreal most likely).  I would try to network with the right people to hopefully move forward with a music career.  Possibly find a job at a high end recording studio, prob starting off as the bringer of coffee and working my way up the ladder.  Who knows if I'd actually succeed at any of these things.  I'm certainly a lot more socially savvy now though, and have a better idea of what needs to be done to reach my end goals.

Ah yes, the city of UK.

• Haha 4

Haha okay okay, obviously I was referring to broader regions as well.  London more specifically.  i know California is a state too... San Fransisco or LA perhaps.

43 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

Amaj9#5

*Although traditionally "Maj9" implies there's a major seventh option - lydian augmented scale (also, #5 rather than b13 means there is no natural fifth available in the scale).  So if you were playing notes from a different scale under it (another two options would be lydian dominant or whole tone scale, both with flat 7ths) you'd have to spell it differently.  Since your chord doesn't have a seventh in it, that's why it's harder to spell precisely. 

A aug (add9) also works but then you're not giving soloists very much information

Yeah, I've had jazz guitarists try to learn my songs and get stumped on chord names.  Almost all my songs have weird chords, frequently ones I haven't played before, and I've been doing this kind of thing since I was 10... so it gets pretty weird.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dingformung said:

It's spelled "misogynist". That's a pretty embarrassing mistake you made there.

I was talking about a fungus enthusiast*

*I have been shamed, as I should. I will think about this.

Edited by Silent Member

3 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Amaj9#5

*Although traditionally "Maj9" implies there's a major seventh option - lydian augmented scale (also, #5 rather than b13 means there is no natural fifth available in the scale).  So if you were playing notes from a different scale under it (another two options would be lydian dominant or whole tone scale, both with flat 7ths) you'd have to spell it differently.  Since your chord doesn't have a seventh in it, that's why it's harder to spell precisely. 

yeah the absence of a 7th makes it open to interpretation, besides the absence of a natural 5th. i didn't know b13 wasn't an option for notation in the absence of a 5th. but then i have no formal training and i've never read a jazz chart. so yeah, i suck at notation pretty much

just play harmonic major on top and call it a day lol  :cisfor:  

btw zeph, the 2nd chord you mentioned is an E lydian dominant voicing i believe, instead of Ab7sus2 or whatever it's called

the 3rd chord is trickier though, i think it's F lydian augmented but there are probably a number of ways to analyze it

7 hours ago, dingformung said:

The guitar solo you posted is - some would say "shameless", some would say "nauseating" - it's pretty bad however you put it (if you have any sense of taste that is, otherwise you might like it and think it's cool).

the guitar solo was meant to illustrate the sound of a mode, not for aesthetic contemplation (although it's a pretty cool solo in my book)

did you post cluttered pictures as a mirror reflecting some of our own cluttered messes so that we finally clean up?

it's working, thanks:)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Member said:

I was talking about a fungus enthusiast*

*I have been shamed, as I should. I will think about this.

Damn mycophiles.

Here, species- and genus richness of edible mushrooms in 21 European countries:

journal.pone.0063926.g003

2 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

the 3rd chord is trickier though, i think it's F lydian augmented but there are probably a number of ways to analyze it

don't know where i got that from, it's simply an F lydian voicing (imo)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

please post audio of this chord

you’re a pleb if you need audio after these voluminous, insightful paragraphs analyzing the chord. you actually want to hear it? lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1